Kubota 23s vs Woods GB60 Box Blade. Anything I should know?

OrangePower

Equipment
A cute little rinky dinky 2021 BX23s
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Hi all, well, I am one lucky SOB to now be the proud owner of a Woods GB60" box blade for $200. Looks like the other guy before me got cold feet trying to lift a 500lb piece of steel and I was next up. A little sad because I didnt even do any work. There was a road cut through a 4 ft high slope and we just backed it up (on the tractor) onto the trailer....easy peasy. Well, she is mine now, whoo hoo!!

So, I have a backhoe on the tractor now and no 3 point hitch setup. I need to run to the dealer, pick that up and some Kubota grease, or, something better/cheaper you all know of.

I can not find any infor on the woods box blade. It has the independant cleavis pins so I "think" (at the time of this writing) thats a cat II setup? Correct me if I am wrong..... I also have to check to see if my kubota 3 point hitch will accept that or if the holes are too small. They probably make some kind of sleeves with smaller pins that would adapt that (another thing I need to check).

So, I guess the main thing is, knowing that this is a slightly over sized piece for the tractor, anything I should be aware of? Looks simple, simple logic dictates, but I would rather sound silly here and ask than make simple mistake out in the field, crying, with my head in my hands, lol. Anything special I should watch out for other than trying to scoop up 20 tons of dirt in 1 pull? Any trinkets I should buy for the setup, besides hydraulic top link?

Thanks

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Not really. You got a great deal.

I wouldn't expect any issues with fitment to your 3 pt hitch. Get yourself a small (6") level to level the box blade after you connect it to your 3 pt hitch. I use a small cheapo torpedo level with magnetic strip when setting up my rear implements. It's small enough to keep it in the tractor mounted toolbox.

The issue is that you will have difficulty pulling a full box. Try to keep the cutting angle to a minimum and limit the depth of the rippers. BX machines do not have 3 pt position control, so keeping that cutting angle to a minimum is key.

Keep your machine in 4wd. You may even want to fill your loader bucket with some material as well to gain added traction on front wheels. Take your time.

Best of luck.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Not really. You got a great deal.

I wouldn't expect any issues with fitment to your 3 pt hitch. Get yourself a small (6") level to level the box blade after you connect it to your 3 pt hitch. I use a small cheapo torpedo level with magnetic strip when setting up my rear implements. It's small enough to keep it in the tractor mounted toolbox.

The issue is that you will have difficulty pulling a full box. Try to keep the cutting angle to a minimum and limit the depth of the rippers. BX machines do not have 3 pt position control, so keeping that cutting angle to a minimum is key.

Keep your machine in 4wd. You may even want to fill your loader bucket with some material as well to gain added traction on front wheels. Take your time.

Best of luck.
I think DirtyDeed summed it up perfectly.

Keep your expectations low and the result will be high satisfaction.

IN ADDITION to feeling good about buying it for a great price!

Edit: AND getting a hydraulic top link will add to the functionality immensely. Could not live without mine now that I have had one for many years...

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
" BX machines do not have 3 pt position control " ....Wait, WHAT!? Awwwwwww, hhhhhh nooo!! I knew I gave up 3 speed over the 2601, but that too? Mthr..........................................$#$%#$!! Not like it mattered, they didnt have any 2601 for the past year anyways, I HAD to settle, just didnt know about that. Well, these are the things I need to know.

No, didnt plan to pull a full box. I figure I will try to calculate what a 48"half full looks like in the 60"er and that will be the limit. I will also let the tractor/engine tell me when it about that time. After a few hours with the pair, I should have an idea of her optimum capacity.

Cool, sounds as simple as she looks. Thanks dirtydeed.

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Edit: AND getting a hydraulic top link will add to the functionality immensely. Could not live without mine now that I have had one for many years...
I am sure they are nice, like cruise control, ac and a nice stereo, but, all that money to set one up? Nutty!! If anything, I need to figure how to get 3 pt position control. Thats just absolutely stupid not to have it, even on a BX!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Don't sweat it just yet. You'll just have to get the hang of feathering the 3 pt control...which, I'm sure you will.

Alternatively, you could possibly rig up a check chain to limit the 3 pth drop or a "stop" in the control slot?

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
I think I might have mixed up terminology and jumped the gun. When you say " do not have 3 pt position control ", I assumed the emplement is either all the way up or all the way down and no in between. If so, I am freaking, if it is adjustable, just no standard notching/steps (or however that works), then, yea, I can come up with something. Who knows, maybe even a 3pt position control? If I can rebuild and manipulate an auto trans and it circuits, this thing cant be too hard with 5-6 hoses, lol??

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Whew........, I can calm down then. I was starting to get a little fiesty there!!

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I pull a 5 foot box blade no problem on my BX23S! You should have no problem but I guess it all depends on your soil.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I am sure they are nice, like cruise control, ac and a nice stereo, but, all that money to set one up? Nutty!! If anything, I need to figure how to get 3 pt position control. Thats just absolutely stupid not to have it, even on a BX!
Actually a hydraulic top link is not like the things (luxuries) you mentioned at all.

A hydraulic top link (and tilt too) are FUNCTIONAL, not things that just make us feel better or more comfortable.

I see from your later posts you realize that you do not need position control, as the 3PH can be put at any position between top and bottom that you like, with reasonable repeatability.

Granted the cost of adding rear remotes is relatively high, especially if you pay the dealer to do it. Can be done cheaper on your own if you are up to it. But they really do give time saving options. Those who have them do not seem, at least for the most part, to regret their decision to install rear remotes on their tractors.