Kodiak Rough Cut Mower Questions

erda

Equipment
LX3310HSDCC
Aug 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
So I have a 60inch Kodiak standard duty rough cut mower. I've been told to check the gearbox for lube-remove the plug and inspect for EP-0 grease level.

There are two "plugs" on the gearbox; one is a small plug with a square end, found about 1/2 way up the gearbox, the other is the plug that is often called the breather. So which one is the plug to check? Also, what exactly is EP-0 grease?

Thanks.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Halfway up plug is likely the check plug. Never overfill, as it gets hot, it will blow out of the vent, and attract dirt, likely plugging the vent. I looked up EP 0 grease, says its a 90 weight base oil, at 40 degrees C, IIRR. I have always used 90w120 in all the BH's that I run, but if it's under warranty, use what they say. On my BH's, when they start leaking out the bottom seal, I drill and tap the hole, and install a zerk, and just grease the bottom end once a year, and check the oil level. The heavy grease keeps the oil from leaking out of the bottom seals...:D

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
As mentioned if under warranty use the lube recommended by manufacturer and keep records along with your tractor file. Some companies look for reasons to disallow warranty claims. That said, you'll probably not need the warranty if it's three to five years or so.

Common fix for older (perhaps not yours now, but someday) shredders in our area is to fill the gearbox with a couple bottles of thick 'motor honey' found in box stores for buck a bottle. Then shoot it full of grease from a grease gun. Too thick to leak out and works fine for the next twenty years or so. If leaks really bad, just repeat every year or so.

Lots easier (especially if you have to cut the stump-jumper off) than trying to repair the bottom seal on the gearbox which will leak again anyway.

The small square-head plug (probably 1/2- or 3/4-in pipe thread) half-way up the side of the gearbox is almost certainly the lube fill port. Check the owner's manual you should have (you'll need it when it comes to finding proper replacement blades).

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
On all the bush hog type mowers I've had the small square headed bolt on the side of the gearbox is the check level. The vent/dipstick is on the top of the box. I always put oil in the top until the hole on the side starts leaking oil. My newest LandPride mower has a dipstick on top, the older ones just have a bolt, but no dipstick.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Grease comes in different grades by NLGI numbers from very thin grease to very thick greases - see below for a chart of food analogies for reference. EP stands for Extreme Pressure. So EP-0 is a thin grease that flows like brown mustard but can lubricate under extreme pressures.

NLGI number Consistency food
000 cooking oil
00 apple sauce
0 brown mustard
1 tomato paste
2 peanut butter
3 vegetable shortening
4 frozen yogurt
5 smooth pate
6 cheddar cheese

Last edited:

erda

Equipment
LX3310HSDCC
Aug 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys. I've looked at 4 dealers and one oil/gas seller. No one seems to have EP-0 grease. One dealer suggested using heavy gear lube to top it up if required.

Last edited:

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
So I have a 60inch Kodiak standard duty rough cut mower. I've been told to check the gearbox for lube-remove the plug and inspect for EP-0 grease level.

There are two "plugs" on the gearbox; one is a small plug with a square end, found about 1/2 way up the gearbox, the other is the plug that is often called the breather. So which one is the plug to check? Also, what exactly is EP-0 grease?

Thanks.
Erda,

It's sold at the Green tractor store (JD) ...goes by the name of corn binder grease. I have a Kodiak field mower also. Plus, there should be a round plastic tube on your mower which has some instructions in it.

That weird grease number is hard to find.

Burt