Knowledgeable employees

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
Finally got around to buying some pallet forks. I called a local dealership to see what they had in stock. They sell 3 brands of forks and had what I wanted (48” forks 3-4k range) in all 3 brands. So last Saturday I drove up there to buy a set. There were 3 employees standing around talking when I arrived.
I told them I wanted to look at their 48” 3-4k range pallet forks. One of the guys said they don’t have any. I told him I called yesterday and was told they have plenty on hand in 3 different brands. Another said you can’t get 48” forks in that weight range, it would have to be at least 5k range for 48” forks. The 3rd guy chimed in and also said you can’t get 48” forks in 3-4k range.
I told them to look up Land Pride PFL3048. So one of them punches it into the the computer while the others watch and lo and behold up they pop. All of the sudden all 3 of them are saying oh yea I forgot about those. I asked them to check the computer for stock on hand for all 3 brands they sell and yup they have some in stock in all 3 brands.
Really…….
I do have to say they were very polite and helpful from that point on.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
Tough to find nowadays, but it can be blamed on the employer. I retired as an electrician, applied at Lowes thinking I'd be great for the electrical department. Nope they put me in paint, their thinking was I would inform a customer how to install something, they'd install wrong and burn their house down, sue lowes.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
At some places, I think some Saturday employees are just filling in for the M-F folks.

Folks don’t want to work 6 days, and weekends are off limits. Having been in the bar/restaurant industry, folks are adverse to weekends. That said, you have to make hay when the sun shines, even if it’s a Saturday.

Unfortunate for the customers, as that’s when they see the most business.

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
Tough to find nowadays, but it can be blamed on the employer. I retired as an electrician, applied at Lowes thinking I'd be great for the electrical department. Nope they put me in paint, their thinking was I would inform a customer how to install something, they'd install wrong and burn their house down, sue lowes.
Now that there is sad!
Did they put a retired painter in the electrical department to help customers with electrical questions?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Finally got around to buying some pallet forks. I called a local dealership to see what they had in stock. They sell 3 brands of forks and had what I wanted (48” forks 3-4k range) in all 3 brands. So last Saturday I drove up there to buy a set. There were 3 employees standing around talking when I arrived.
I told them I wanted to look at their 48” 3-4k range pallet forks. One of the guys said they don’t have any. I told him I called yesterday and was told they have plenty on hand in 3 different brands. Another said you can’t get 48” forks in that weight range, it would have to be at least 5k range for 48” forks. The 3rd guy chimed in and also said you can’t get 48” forks in 3-4k range.
I told them to look up Land Pride PFL3048. So one of them punches it into the the computer while the others watch and lo and behold up they pop. All of the sudden all 3 of them are saying oh yea I forgot about those. I asked them to check the computer for stock on hand for all 3 brands they sell and yup they have some in stock in all 3 brands.
Really…….
I do have to say they were very polite and helpful from that point on.
Merica.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Quite a few years ago, I had a bit part in a wrongful death suit against Lowe’s based on alleged negligent advice. Man rented a floor sander from them. It wasn’t removing something or other on the floor as expected so man goes back to Lowe’s and, allegedly on advice of a Lowe’s employee, uses a chemical stripper in conjunction with the floor sander.

Obviously there were several material issues of fact in dispute. It wasn’t in dispute that the combination of gasseous fumes from a volatile petroleum based stripper, inadequate ventilation, and the floor sander combined to blow the man out a window while simultaneously setting him on fire. He died a few days later. Sad case.

My involvement was quite nominal and not for or against either side. Don’t know how that turned out. Know Lowe’s spent a TON on defense.

Similar issue with a furniture store we’ve bought from over the years. We normally don’t have them deliver. Last time they said they don’t allow customers to pick up unless the have an enclosed trailer or box truck. I planned to pick it up in an enclosed trailer anyway but asked why the change. Because they had a customer pick up a chair in an open truck, didn’t secure it properly, it flew out, and killed a guy so corporate changed the pickup policy. Asked her where it happened and she said it was from their store and the guys wife went on a crusade against them so it was all over the news.

I got curious and did a little research. Sure enough it was in the news and the widow was on a crusade to change laws to require a special license endorsement to open carry cargo or something like that. I knew the defense attorney involved for the furniture store and the civil case was over so I asked him how it turned out. He said a recliner came out of the back of a pickup because it wasn’t properly secured. Landed in the middle of an interstate on a nice sunny day. At least 8 people (ones they could find) drove around it over the next 30 minutes. Plaintiff comes up on it, swerves at the last second, misses the recliner but careens off the road into a ravine full of trees killing himself. Phone records indicated he was texting immediately prior. Insurance for the recliner owner paid their limits. Furniture store didn’t have to pay anything to the estate after over a hundred thousand in defense cost and hundreds, if not thousands, of employee man hours taken up by the suit.

I’m not much on morphing into a European nation, but one thing I do think they have right: loser pays costs in litigation, period. People still litigate legitimate disagreements, but litigation for fun and profit isn’t what it is here in the US.