King kutter 4ft rotary cutter install HELP!!!!!

Ozziekubota67

Mar 3, 2014
South Carolina usa
Hey guys I am 100% newb with this tractor world but I am catching on fast... Today I purchased a 4ft king kutter rotary cutter and when I got home I wanted to install it and work it.... The issue: the top bar that runs from tractor to the top of bush hog is not long enuff but it is adjustable? Do u unscrew until I can slide the pin thru??? Best way to adjust so it's right??? Also the side arms of the 3 point hitch when going on a side hill it wanted to rub on the tire???? Thanks every one who might try and help the newb thanks

Also when I purchased I got a set of extra sheer pins which look like standard bolts???? Is that correct??? Guess if it hits some thing it will break bolt before any thing else???

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are things you really need to know before using the cutter - it can harm/kill you if you are not careful and understand the operation. You can probably down load the operators manual (assuming you don't have the original). Usually the operators manual is in a plastic tube on the implement.

But to answer your questions:
1) The side link adjusts it to be level side to side by turning the middle section while holding both ends from turning (connected to the tractor top arm and lower arm).
Set the 3Pt to the correct mowing height and then level it side to side.
Then set the rear wheel(s) to be a bit above the ground level.
The top link is adjustable, similar to the side link. You will use it to adjust the mower to near level front to back. The front should be adjusted about 3/4 inch lower than the rear.

The PTO shaft length may need to be adjusted but I will not try to describe that - you need to search that one on the internet.

2) to keep it from rubbing there is some mechanism on the lower arms to tighten up so the implement will remain mostly stationary. The most common is check chains (turnbuckles) to tighten up so the arms don't swing all over the place. Snug but not too tight.

3) Most of these have a circlip holding the PTO shaft to the gear box. Ensure that is there. It is usually on the end of the shaft coming out of the gear box. If not and the shear pin shears you have a loose rotating PTO shaft that can come loose from the implement and will destroy anything in its path.

4) the shear pins can be bolts. These are normally grade 2 or ungraded so they shear easily. Do not upgrade the strength. They need to shear when they need to shear. They need to be the correct size to fit snugly in the holes and the length should be long enough so the shoulder is all the way through the PTO collar. It needs to be double nutted (locked) so it does not come loose.

Ozziekubota67

Mar 3, 2014
South Carolina usa
Can u post a link on where to go??? No manual with the kutter and I don't know why???? It all looks pretty easy... I have to cut in the morning so could some one post a link? Pics? Any help is thank ful.... Please

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
You need the Owner's Manual.

Do a web search for King Kutter or contact your seller (perhaps Tractor Supply?)--you said it was new--and obtain the Owner's Manual for your model.

Rotary cutters, shredders, bush hogs, brush hogs, are safe if used correctly and if not used correctly can create in you a bit of heartburn.

You need to know about the shear pins (bolts you were furnished), lubrication, grease zerks on U-joints, gear box oil, blade removal and sharpening, drive-line attachment to tractor, how to adjust the unit for different conditions, replacement part numbers, your stump-jumper or bar-mount, blade bolts----everything.

When using the cutter don't let anybody else ride on the tractor. Ever. Every year around here a kid falls off the fender and gets chopped up before Pop ever knows what's happened.

Depending on what you're cutting sooner or later you'll bend or break a blade. Think ahead about this possibility and be prepared how to react quickly.

You may need a 'special' wrench to remove the blades---standard size (mine are 1-3/8-in), think of a socket-on-a-stick (with 15-in Crescent and cheater) or use or obtain a 3/4-drive breaker bar with socket and extension.

Sharpen blades using a 4-1/2-in hand grinder or bench grinder.

Previous poster mentioned circlip to retain driveline when pin on gearbox shears. Not so in all cases. One of mine doesn't and first time it sheared it popped off the gearbox input shaft and started flopping around on the deck wildly at 540-rpms. Spooky.

Check this aspect and if you need create a restraint harness out of light strap or chain or cable run through heavy hose situated near the gearbox between the lift frame verticals and looped loosely around the driveline. Same as if a blade breaks, get out of the PTO FAST, clean the seat, repair, and go on about your business.

Please advise your experiences and progress so we may all learn.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Found the KingKutter 4-ft rotary cutter Owner's Manual at their website.

Cannot upload due to size restrictions for PDF files.

When the cutter picture pops up at KK website, look to the right for three selections of...

Parts, Owners, and something else.

39-pg Owner's Manual opens as PDF.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I bought my KK 6' cutter and set it up with no problems. First time using it I heard something and looked back and the owners manual was shredded out the back. It was TAPED to the underside of the deck at the factory and stayed hidden there until first use. I downloaded and printed a new one but before you do that...
LOOK UNDER THE DECK.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I bought my KK 6' cutter and set it up with no problems. First time using it I heard something and looked back and the owners manual was shredded out the back. It was TAPED to the underside of the deck at the factory and stayed hidden there until first use. I downloaded and printed a new one but before you do that...
LOOK UNDER THE DECK.
I'm LOL!!!!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
First time using it I heard something and looked back and the owners manual was shredded out the back. It was TAPED to the underside of the deck at the factory and stayed hidden there until first use.
Wonder what tater haid came up with that idea? You'd think they'd at least put a warning sticker on the top of the deck letting you know where to look.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Can u post a link on where to go??? No manual with the kutter and I don't know why???? It all looks pretty easy... I have to cut in the morning so could some one post a link? Pics? Any help is thank ful.... Please
You can gain a world of knowledge by learning to google and search vendor sites.

But specifically go to this link:
https://www.kingkutter.com/store-product.aspx?id=3550
Then look on the right side for three things parts, product manual and videos

Select the Product manual and look for a pop up blocker warning or a PDF to pop open.

I offer a word of caution after skimming the manual - there may be no lubrication in any grease joint or in the gear box. The vendor may have done that but who knows without checking.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
You can gain a world of knowledge by learning to google and search vendor sites.

I offer a word of caution after skimming the manual - there may be no lubrication in any grease joint or in the gear box. The vendor may have done that but who knows without checking.
Excellent point! Most MFGers ship with NO gear lube.
My neighbor learned this the hard way. His new Bush Hog cutter worked for about 1 hour before locking up and killing his tractor. Brand new gear case was dry as a bone and hotter than the hubs of hell.