Just walkin in the RAIN!

OLD GAR

Equipment
MF210, FORD 8N, BIG TEX CH18,
Aug 3, 2015
ZWOLLE
With the reversed polarity on my Walmart "never start" battery finally solved - at least the reason the starter wouldn't engage - I'm now ready to start the engine and back it out of the garage! RIGHT? NOPE!
Cranking for the first 10 seconds, no start! At oat of 60* So now energize the glo plugs. Then crank for another 20 seconds. Not starting! WTF now? Fuel gage indicates 1/2 tank but electric gages sometimes lie. There is a fuel filter/water catcher down on the right side of the engine. Plastic and stuck pretty tight. Big channel locks on the very top, where the lugs are, finally got it to loosen. Catch bowl under the filter showed WATER! Empty out the filter and almost full of water. Shook out the filter upside down dumps crud and more water. There is a little tab in the filter housing that opens the fuel line from the tank through that filter to the fuel pump then on to the injector pump. It's messy but about a half cup of water from the tank into my catch bowl. The only reason I can explain the water in the system is to have poured in some contaminated fuel from a can that had some in it.
Now to chase the water out of any lines to the injector pump, I took all those lines loose and there was water all the way to the injector fitting from the little engine mounted fuel pump. I blew through the line from the filter body and water came out of the little engine mounted fuel pump! That's where I had to quit to search here for further procedure. Am I going to have to go all the way to the injectors to eliminate any water that may have migrated to the injectors themselves? The dread I'm facing is having to get all the water out then bleed all the air out of the injection system!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, crack all the injectors ,blow 100% of the water out, at least twice....THEN 'prime' since you've filled tank with fresh PURE diesel.....
ANY water in the injectors could(will) cause BIG, $$$$$$$$ trouble......

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
@GreensvilleJay cannot exclaim enough.

Get the water out of the system. Vacuum it out if necessary!!

Hydro-lock can be costly.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
@GreensvilleJay cannot exclaim enough.

Get the water out of the system. Vacuum it out if necessary!!

Hydro-lock can be costly.
Since your system was so full of water, this is likely excellent advise, since the injectors could have been pushing water into the cylinders.

Not sure if it is a real concern, since at the same time the valves were opening and air plus liquid was probably being expelled. But why take a chance? At this point I would probably remove the glow plugs and turn the engine over hoping to expel whatever excess liquid might be in there before bending a connecting rod worst case...

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yep. Water will KILL injectors quickly by suddenly turning to steam and eroding the nozzle almost instantly. Get it ALL out, Maybe pull those injectors and spin the engine several times to insure no water in cyls.…while also letting the pump push nothing but clean fuel thru the entire system before attempting another start. Good luck.