Just Bought L245DT. Need Advice for First Servicing.

NWHmoob

Equipment
L245DT
Apr 19, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Hello everyone. Don't kill me over this. I've tried the "search" and even though it came up with lots of hits I feel that it didn't answer my questions. So here I am.

I bought a 1982 L245DT a few days ago and waiting til the weekend to dig deeper into the tractor. The previous owners had it for 3 years. In that time the front end was replaced due to operator error. That was the only major thing that was done besides the usual maintenance and servicing. It does leak hydraulic fluid from the lines next to the front left wheel. I don't know what those lines run to but I do intend to find out. My question is what is the first thing I need to do before putting this thing to work? Also, what shouldn't I do? I'm pretty mechanical but nothing on tractors or diesel.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It's usually recommended that if it's "new" to you, but used to someone else, change all the fluids and filters front to rear. Then you know for sure what's in there and all fluids are good. :)

Here's a link to the work shop manual for your tractor :D

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/de5pfbrs2xh81mf/AAAgEA1wbhuQsw5fLBI1oTETa?dl=0

For a parts manual, the Kubota website is the best. Click on "I agree" Then on the next page. Type in the model number for your tractor using capitals for the letters.

http://www.kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx

There are also helpful articles on the main page for this site, that can run you through how to properly bleed the fuel system. And if you run into any issue, question or concern, please feel free to ask :D:D

workhorse

Jan 14, 2016
Alden, franklinville, boston
It's usually recommended that if it's "new" to you, but used to someone else, change all the fluids and filters front to rear. Then you know for sure what's in there and all fluids are good. :)

Only " wouldn't do's " I can think of are work it hard before doing all the above. These rigs run forever and only ask for a little love here and there!

Here's a link to the work shop manual for your tractor :D

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/de5pfbrs2xh81mf/AAAgEA1wbhuQsw5fLBI1oTETa?dl=0

For a parts manual, the Kubota website is the best. Click on "I agree" Then on the next page. Type in the model number for your tractor using capitals for the letters.

http://www.kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx

There are also helpful articles on the main page for this site, that can run you through how to properly bleed the fuel system. And if you run into any issue, question or concern, please feel free to ask :D:D
Fluids for sure. Filters and a good inspection of what comes out. Even coolant which seems to be something nobody tends to change. As far as the leak, follow the lines both ways to investigate. Fan belt and air filter are an inexpensive must do as well

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Clean the radiator fins and screen in front of it. You may need to remove the radiator to make sure it is really clean and that all fins are clear of debris.

Inspect or replace the battery cables and make sure you have a good clean ground to the frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Petegoud

Equipment
L3200HST
Oct 8, 2012
Chehalis,WA
I've found that you should cover the steering wheel if you keep the tractor outside. I recently had to help replace the steering box on one because water traveled down the steering column into the box, with nowhere to drain.

NWHmoob

Equipment
L245DT
Apr 19, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Power steering lines?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Yes, they are power steering lines. I found it odd after purchasing the tractor that the lines run through the clutch and has a separate belt driven pump.

Also I saw somewhere on here as to the location of the trans/hyd filter but cant seem to find it anymore. Is there a trans/hyd dipstick also? Can't find any reference to this.

Is there a shut off valve to the fuel so the filter can be changed?

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
The hydraulic filter is hidden inside the transmission case, down at the bottom, directly inline with the suction line. There is a cover down low opposite the suction line and a tubular screen filter inside.

No dipstick, fill on top between the shifters and the seat, level plug is on the case side by the clutch pedal. Probably about 4 drain plugs if I remember right.

Mine has a petcock type valve between the tank and fuel filter.