Joys of new tractors

Gb540

Jan 9, 2021
Central US
The bolt had fallen down behind the battery and was caught in the wiring harness for the positive battery cable. So the grille is now fully secured as well. Two birds - one stone.
1. Any dropped bolt always stops on something halfway down, and:
2. That something is always a line or wire harness. :rolleyes:

Glad you found that bolt, before it started biting into the cable!

As for the leak here and from other posts, wonder why Kubota doesn’t use automotive-style spring clamps (esp. on coolant hoses). Yes they're unpopular in the equipment world, but they work in auto and light truck.

Last edited:

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Reactions: 1 user

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
I live a mile up a one-lane dirt road from where the dealer has to deliver a tractor to me. Therefore, my first use of a new tractor is to drive it a mile to home. This time, I arrived home in my 4701 and noticed coolant leaking from the radiator onto the carport floor. I discovered that both the upper and lower hose clamps were barely finger-tight. Lost some of coolant, but not enough to ruin anything. I then went over the tractor and found several loose bolts and a tail light was inop. Eventually found an unconnected wire. This was a brand-new machine supposedly checked out by the shop prior to delivery. I mentioned these and a couple other things I found to the service manager few days later, not complaining but more concerned that they were perhaps not really going over the tractors. He shrugged and said it was my responsibility.
Bought a brand new Tacoma from a local dealer. Drove the truck home and the next day I checked all the fluid levels and bolt torques (something that I do on every new vehicle that I buy.

Coolant: 4 ounces low
Auto Trans: 4 ounces low
Front Differential: 2 ounces low
Rear Differential: 22 OUNCES LOW, MORE THAN 50% OF THE OIL MISSING
Transfer Case: OK
Brake Fluid: OK
WW Fluid: full
Wheel Nut Torque: None less than 115 ft lbs. Spec is 83 ft lbs. Overtightening leads to warped rotors, which it did, and I replaced them myself.

Called the selling dealer and told them what I found. Was told"these things happen".
Sent an email to Toyota corporate, was told that was between the dealer and me. Told Toyota in a reply email what they could kiss.

Went back to the dealer for warranty work and they wanted to do the 10K oil change. Three service managers, room with 20 customers, and I unload on him what a crappy prep job they did on my truck and that I wouldn't let them work on my lawnmower.

Twenty minutes later, the head of the dealership finds me in the waiting room and tries to smooth things over with free oil changes tickets. Told him I changed my oil and filter at 500 miles, then every 6K miles after that, and to stick the tickets where the sun doesn't shine.

Plainly, Toyota doesn't give a damn for the customer.

So...you are not alone being mistreated or ignored by manufacturers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user