JD MX6 on an L6060... 3pt. height?

MOlivin

Equipment
L6060
May 15, 2023
MO
Hi all,

Picked up a '14 L6060 at a JD dealer... and also a JD MX6 brush hog. 2 pics attached.

Have it attached with a Quick Hitch, now when set the 3pt. to max height, you can see in the photos, it's only a few inches off the ground in the front while the wheel is still on the ground in the back. I can only lower the 3pt to about 6 1/2 before the front of the MX6 is touching the ground.

Looking at some videos online, I thought I would be able to lift the entire MX6, including the rear wheel, off the ground at max height at about 1ft. in case I need to maneuver over something.

Do I have something on my 3pt set wrong on my quick hitch? Or is this MX6 just not setup to get that rear wheel off the ground?

Thanks all!

Attachments

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
You need to move the pins that connect the vertical lift arms to the horizontal arms, to the upper holes. This will give you move lift height. I would also shorten the top link, this will raise the rear of the cutter move when you lift it up. I would also move the top link to the lower hole on the tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

MOlivin

Equipment
L6060
May 15, 2023
MO
You need to move the pins that connect the vertical lift arms to the horizontal arms, to the upper holes. This will give you move lift height. I would also shorten the top link, this will raise the rear of the cutter move when you lift it up. I would also move the top link to the lower hole on the tractor.
I see what your saying on the vertical lift arms to horizontal arms pins. I'll get that adjusted in the morning.

Shortening the top link and moving the top link to the lower hole on the tractor... Won't that make the top of the quick attach angle towards the tractor and cause issues hooking and unhooking the attachments?

Thanks!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Here is what I can tell you about lifting the mower in general and you may want to remove the quick hitch and see how it works without the quick hitch.

The front of the mower is supported only by the pins on the lower arms. The front should be able to be set as high as the arms will lift it. That should be fairly high like a foot or so. But the height of the pins on the mower are mounted pretty high so the arms start out high when the mower is on the ground. I don’t know why the mower is designed that high but you might want to talk to the dealer about that. In general you could leave the top link off the mower and use it that way by setting the rear wheel height so the mower is basically level front to back. But you could never pick up the rear of the mower without the top link.

In the older designs that had rigid supports front to rear when the rear of the mower got lifted up the top link wouldn’t have any place to move and damage to the tractor or mower would occur. So designers came up with floating linkages like is on your mower to eliminate that problem. But now to pick up the rear of the mower you have to first remove all that slack in the floating linkages before the rear of the mower will move.

Here are the problems I notice in your pictures
The pins on the implement are high and will limit how high the tractor can lift it. No idea if they can be moved lower or if there is an alternative attachment point.
The quick hitch is set vertically so that the top link is not as short as it should be and limits how high you can lift the rear of the mower. Shorter top link will remove the slack in the linkages.
The tractor end of the top link should be in the lowest hole available to make it lift the re of the mower higher.

Remove the PTO shaft when doing any changes in the mounting and testing of the resulting lift to avoid any damage to your tractor. If the PTO shaft is too long it can get jammed into the tractor and break the case or the shafts.

Try to take the top link off and see how high you can lift the front of the mower.
Then lower the front to the ground and then adjust the top link to remove as much slack as you can. Then try to lift the mower and see how high the rear is lifted.

Then lower the rear wheel to its lowest position. Be careful to not get pinched or crushed by the weight of the wheel. lower mower to the ground and remove one end of the top and lift the mower to see if you can get the front about as high as the rear.

The order of things is not important but first thing to do is get the owners manual and read thoroughly and see if they have any information about how to set up the mower. The manual is probably in a plastic tube mounted on the mower.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi all,

Picked up a '14 L6060 at a JD dealer... and also a JD MX6 brush hog. 2 pics attached.

Have it attached with a Quick Hitch, now when set the 3pt. to max height, you can see in the photos, it's only a few inches off the ground in the front while the wheel is still on the ground in the back. I can only lower the 3pt to about 6 1/2 before the front of the MX6 is touching the ground.

Looking at some videos online, I thought I would be able to lift the entire MX6, including the rear wheel, off the ground at max height at about 1ft. in case I need to maneuver over something.

Do I have something on my 3pt set wrong on my quick hitch? Or is this MX6 just not setup to get that rear wheel off the ground?

Thanks all!
Not a fan of quick hitches and claim no expertise, but your mower does not appear to be QH compatible. I would try it without the QH.

Word to the wise: Do not exceed the recommended 1,000 Lb. weight limitation for mower (and QH combination) for your L6060.