It will LIFT 1900 but will it HOLD more?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
L2501 3 point...
I've got a Heavy Hitch on order. They "don't rate their receiver " but say "lots of customers use them to move campers". Which is one of the things I want it for.
The 3 point is rated around 1900 lbs (at the lift point?) but the nose of my heaviest trailer is closer to 2000 on the tongue unloaded. I know the hitch will put it further away from the lift point. I'm not looking to lift it , just hold it while I move the trailer into the driveway for easier positioning to load/ unload.
Am I pushing it too far?
The ground is fairly level so stopping isn't an issue. If I load it up, the tongue weight goes down since it's a toy hauler. Loaded its a 12000 lb trailer though. Don't want to stop that much weight even on level ground.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
150% safety factor is common in most industries…. so if you plan to lift 2K… you should have a tool capable of 3K to comply with what most designers consider.
You seem to be proposing to play russian-roulette with putting 3 bullets in a 6-shooter instead of only 1.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The Heavy Hitch puts additional weight on the three point. It moves the lifted object a little further away from the tractor further reducing the safe loading amount. It appears you will definitely be over loading your tractor. I wouldn't recommend it.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
@GeoHorn I said I was not going to be lifting it.
None the less, if you want to play "safety factor" games, the actual capacity would be 150% of the rated capacity. So I'm good there.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
The Heavy Hitch puts additional weight on the three point. It moves the lifted object a little further away from the tractor further reducing the safe loading amount. It appears you will definitely be over loading your tractor. I wouldn't recommend it.
Good point. Don't know what they weigh...maybe 150 lbs? 200? Maybe I can play with putting the bikes and fuel in first to reduce the tongue weight. The ball might be 12" aft of the links. That will reduce the capacity a bit. Might be too close for comfort. Fully loaded, the tongue is 1700-1800 lbs. Can't take off much more than that.
Wonder what the difference is between the 2501 and 3901 mechanically. And axles....I'll have to do some digging on that.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
L2501 3 point...
I've got a Heavy Hitch on order. They "don't rate their receiver " but say "lots of customers use them to move campers". Which is one of the things I want it for.
The 3 point is rated around 1900 lbs (at the lift point?) but the nose of my heaviest trailer is closer to 2000 on the tongue unloaded. I know the hitch will put it further away from the lift point. I'm not looking to lift it , just hold it while I move the trailer into the driveway for easier positioning to load/ unload.
Am I pushing it too far?
The ground is fairly level so stopping isn't an issue. If I load it up, the tongue weight goes down since it's a toy hauler. Loaded its a 12000 lb trailer though. Don't want to stop that much weight even on level ground.
The hitch will hold until:

1. The safety relief valve in the 3pt lift circuit unloads the hydraulic pressure and the load drops to the ground.
  2. If there is no safety relief the lift will hold until something structural fails. In the case of my old B7200 and the overly large mower I was using that failure was at the rear flange on the rear axle case.
I would have to dig into the WSM to tell you with authority that there is a safety releif on the L2501 lift circuit but my guess is there is a such a relief and it will unload at just a little over the rated load for the lift.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Be like Nike and "just do it". If it's over stressing your L, you'll know it. How many times have folks tried lifting something too heavy for their loader to lift? You know right away if it's too heavy, it won't lift. It doesn't hurt anything. Like you said, I wouldn't advise heading down a steep hill and expecting it to slow down.

• Haha

Ton

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2022
MD
Could always just put some weight in the back of the trailer to pull a couple hundred pounds off the tongue when you want to move it. The weight of one wife or two children might suffice ;)

Reactions: 2 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Be like Nike and "just do it". If it's over stressing your L, you'll know it. How many times have folks tried lifting something too heavy for their loader to lift? You know right away if it's too heavy, it won't lift. It doesn't hurt anything. Like you said, I wouldn't advise heading down a steep hill and expecting it to slow down.

Sure but it sounds like the whole reason for the Heavy Hitch was for moving campers. So if it doesnt work....

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
L2501 3 point...
Am I pushing it too far?
I read trailer tongue so I am assuming a bumper pull, correct? For me I don’t have a good way to guesstimate…and also I believe my thought / past actions may not be a safe practice, so it’s you decision and yours alone. I store boats and trailers in a barn (none that weight near your camper weight though)…I also have a fairly steep road…11 degrees at its steepest point. My previous BX and B. Can handle a 2k ish utility trailer and up to a 25 ft boat…boat was asking a lot though. My current B can not handle a 4k equipment trailer in my situation with the steepness of my driveway approach and the angle of the road. That being said when I have struggled the easiest way to take some weight off the tongue (it’s not safe or recommended) is to lift the 3 pt higher…I understand should only pull from draw bar ideally…anyway it’s your choice and decision what you do and what the risk is to you and your machine…but you can weight the loader bucket or the back end of the toy hauler or lift it up if you so choose…just don’t spill your beer. If it’s too much weight I think it’s not going to lift it…you’ll know pretty quick….(leave the jack down and lift slowly first time until you know). Tongue weight is the issue…you can roll the trailer easily…so thats the challenge, well that and not spilling your beer. 🍻 I f that no workee or you decide too much risk you might look for a trailer tongue dolly that you can push or pull with your tractor? Or if you have a weigh safe trailer hitch that could tell you where you are at as well before you decide. Good luck.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: the nose of my heaviest trailer is closer to 2000 on the tongue unloaded.

that should mean the trailer weighs in at 18-20,000 # ! gotta be a triaxle with a dozer on it ?? Whatever the load is that's serious weight and you need it's brakes to stop you, unless you're on dead flat ground and in granny low and slow.

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Thanks for all the replies.
Doing some more looking, I don't think it will work. At 24" past the lift point, Kubota says 1400 lbs. Even if I'm only 12" past the lift point that puts it maybe 1600- 1700 lbs. Not sure if I want to go THAT far over what they say. Oh well, at least that is not the only thing I bought it for. It would have been nice to move any trailer I have with it.

Could always just put some weight in the back of the trailer to pull a couple hundred pounds off the tongue when you want to move it. The weight of one wife or two children might suffice ;)
Well...with 2 motorcycles, fuel, 3 sets of wheels/ tires and gear it only takes 300 lbs off. Even if I throw the dog in with the wife and kids it won't help much more. LOL!

Sure but it sounds like the whole reason for the Heavy Hitch was for moving campers. So if it doesnt work....
It's a big one though. 40 feet tip to tail. The hitch might but the limiting factor seems to be the tractor.

Or if you have a weigh safe trailer hitch that could tell you where you are at as well before you decide. Good luck.
I have weighed it with a Sherline scale so I know it's 1900 unloaded. I like my beer too much to spill ANY of it!

re: the nose of my heaviest trailer is closer to 2000 on the tongue unloaded.

that should mean the trailer weighs in at 18-20,000 # ! gotta be a triaxle with a dozer on it ?? Whatever the load is that's serious weight and you need it's brakes to stop you, unless you're on dead flat ground and in granny low and slow.
Naw, it's a toy hauler tandem axle. Curb weight is 9750, gross is 14,000 and as traveled weight is 12-13000. The front yard and drive are pretty level. Where I would be moving to/ from is almost perfectly level. I did think of adding a trailer brake to the L so I could manually actuate it. Or run a cable from the E brake to the seat so I could pull it out if needed. LOL!!

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
PS…I pull a camper with my B. You clearly have a bit more class with your machine and camper though 😂. I am on the micro scale.
Cool camper! Just the right size for me and the wife now that the kids have moved on!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Cool camper! Just the right size for me and the wife now that the kids have moved on!
Thanks. We normally have it behind our FJ for expedition like travel. It’s a got a lock n roll hitch and it tracks very nice behind the tow vehicle regardless of terrain. It has 22” ground clearance so can go about anywhere the FJ can…limiting factor is the width of tires / fenders…it’s wider than the vehicle. Has a queen size bed in it…but there is no standing up in it. It has a small awning and a side tent for the dogs.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
dang that's a heavy tandem trailer....must have 8 bolt rims and really,really good brakes.

one 'possible' way, providing the tractor is rated to PULL that weight...

attach trailer to 3pt,using trailer jack to take the weight, chain 3pt securely so it can't go up or down(1-2" slack ok...),then raise jack up. 3pt takes 90% of the weight, chains the last 10%.