Issues with valve stems with rim guard

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
I had this happen on my BX with the rubber tubeless tire valve stems (OEM). I contacted Rimguard and was told these stems should have been replaced with brass stems when the tires were loaded. Rubber valve stems are for air only, liquids have a tendency to affect core/rubber vulcanization. (guess the dealer didn't want to take the time or effort to do it right before loading the tires) I replaced both stems with Colby valves, saved removing and breaking down the tires and they have worked great 2 years now.
Did you remove the tire from the tractor OR just put the stem at the 12 position and take weight off tire? Reading up on Colby valve stems, they suggest for emergency use only and then property replace with a regular valve stem. How did you deal with the rimguard?

rgk66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, frt mt blower, tarter sc48 rotary mower, FEL, 6 ft woods finish mower
Jul 29, 2017
Muskegon, MI
Did you remove the tire from the tractor OR just put the stem at the 12 position and take weight off tire? Reading up on Colby valve stems, they suggest for emergency use only and then property replace with a regular valve stem. How did you deal with the rimguard?
I raised the rear of the tractor, taking the weight off the tires. Had to do this immediately as the core came out with the cap, spewing rimguard all over the driveway. ( I was able to save approximately half in the tire) I left the tires in place and rotated to 12 oclock position and cut off the rubber stem, small part falling inside the tire. I then installed the Colby valves. I used the shorty valves as I'm in the woods a lot and didn't want anything sticks could snag. As I stated they have been in place 2 years now (approx 500 tractor hours) with no problem. I did purchase a spare set (which are still on the shelf) just in case. Spilt Rimguard cleans up with water, need to do it right away as it becomes veeerrrrrryyyyy sticky!

jameister

Equipment
BX2370
Jul 1, 2021
Cataldo Idaho
yesterday my new-to-me 350 hours of use BX2370 just blew its core out of the valve stem, or it broke off? anyway a pliable rubber valve stem with steady stream of liquid pissing out of the valve stem on left rear tire.

my first thought: fine, I just poked a sidewall hole with sticks.. then saw it was all coming from the valve stem..or what remained of a valve stem. rolled forward to put the stem at 12 o'clock, and there it sits.

I had already decided to buy R4's to replace the turf guard tires to avoid sidewall punctures, and went for the wheels and tires installed route.

now need decide on fluid, foam, or whatever for wheel weighting.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
yesterday my new-to-me 350 hours of use BX2370 just blew its core out of the valve stem, or it broke off? anyway a pliable rubber valve stem with steady stream of liquid pissing out of the valve stem on left rear tire.

my first thought: fine, I just poked a sidewall hole with sticks.. then saw it was all coming from the valve stem..or what remained of a valve stem. rolled forward to put the stem at 12 o'clock, and there it sits.

I had already decided to buy R4's to replace the turf guard tires to avoid sidewall punctures, and went for the wheels and tires installed route.

now need decide on fluid, foam, or whatever for wheel weighting.
What is the fluid? I suspect "rimguard " (beet juice)? There has been issues with the standard rubber valve stem. Should be good quality metal valve stem with rimguard. If windshield or RV fluid should not have been an issue. Take the weight off of tire. Some dealers are reluctant in using rimguard in BX's. Use metal valve stems with rimguard or use windshield or RV fluid. Rimguard will give additional weight over the other stuff. I have one BX with rimguard and another with windshield fluid. The way it is. Do you have a loader on this and need the extra ballast? If you don't want to mess with loaded tires use a rear ballast box. That you can remove when loader not on for the extra ballast or not wanted or needed.

Reactions: 1 user