Is there a way to “tune” a L4060 into a 4760?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I bought my M7040 in 2012 with cab and loader for less than $40,000 Canadian
Now the same tractor has not depreciated but appreciated in value.
Rather than trying to flog your existing machine check the economics on getting a bigger machine.

Kubota purchase invoice blanked name.jpg

I recently bought a 2018 KX040-4 excavator knowing once I tired of it I could trade it on another new small tractor with little to no financial loss.

In Canada, for reasons I don't understand, unless you were driving your tractor on salt covered roads, it holds it value.

A friend in the snow blowing business sold his JD sight unseen to someone in the southern USA. He felt he had worked the machine for two winters and sold it for more than he paid for it.

I understand the quest for more power. I put a Judson supercharger on my 1959 VW beetle when I was much younger.

Dave

Reactions: 2 users

Robert Galka

Apr 30, 2019
Winnipeg
I like the fact that my tractor is appreciating, however the other used ones that I would buy have gone up in price also.

A friend sold his L4060 at auction for 20k more than he paid for it after owning it for eight years.

It seems like the market peaked last summer and now everything is going down.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You buy and sell in the same market. Tractors don't depreciate all that much, because the average Joe (not a hobby farmer) is just as happy with a 5 year old tractor as a new one. I always look at my tractor spend as a loan to myself - sure, I'm not investing that money elsewhere, but the tractor will always sell for pretty much what I paid for it, and I'm using it every week. A new replacement one will cost more because of inflation, but the money I put into the one I have will all come back if I decide I don't need a tractor any more.

Similarly, if you change an L4060 to an L4760 you'll pay today about the same extra to swap it as you would have paid 10 years ago when you bought it.

If you need (or want) a more powerful machine, best idea is to go buy one.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Another consideration after you have modified a machine is in the future should you want to trade or sell it, prospective buyers will be wary and dealers will not want it.
Dave