Is there a standard way to hook up grapple function?

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
Kind of a silly question but here goes.

Is there a standard way to rig the open/clamp left right stick movement when hooking up the grapple to the 3rd function kit on the BX?

I'm thinking bucket curl up should match open and bucket curl down should match clamp. Since the diverter valve has two male connections and the grapple has two female connections it could be either way, but I was curious if there was an industry standard.

Yea, it boils down to operator preference, but I was just curious. Thanks.

flynnglide

Nov 26, 2017
Lizton
I had the same curiosity. I set mine opposite your description. I was thinking curl/keep material and dump/release material. Not sure if there is a standard. I’m getting ready to head to the garage, I’ll check the manual and see if it says anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
An equally valid assumption. If it would ever stop raining here I would do more hands on research at my growing burn piles! :)

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
I am probably confused and am not understanding your question, but the curl should have nothing to do with the grapple clamp if you have a 3rd function valve. The 3rd function valve is a separate valve with it's own control (typically a toggle switch that toggles between open and closed clamp on a grapple). Your loader controls remain unchanged and functional. That is, the loader control would continue to provide boom lift/lower and curl functions as normal, and a third toggle switch would provide the control for open and close on the grapple.

Is yours different than that? What you desribe almost sounds like you do not have a 3rd function valve and you are hooking up the curl hydraulics to the grapple clamp and leaving the curl without hydraulics while using the grapple. If so, then that could be problematic if the curl cylinder ever leaks down (shouldn't if you have no leaks, but....).

Sorry if I did not understand what you were saying.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
It is a diverter valve. Button in on stick is grapple control, button out is curl control.

Question is with button in is left stick supposed to be grapple open or clamp?

With the connectors rigged two males on valve and two females on grapple it could be hooked up either way. Operator preference is the deciding answer but I was wondering if there was a standard like regular bucket controls.

Sorry if it was less than clear before. The confusion starts with Kubota calling it a 3rd function kit when it is a diverter valve kit. Only one button on stick.

Last edited:

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
It is a diverter valve. Button in on stick is grapple control, button out is curl control.

Question is with button in is left stick supposed to be grapple open or clamp?

With the connectors rigged two males on valve and two females on grapple it could be hooked up either way. Operator preference is the deciding answer but I was wondering if there was a standard like regular bucket controls.

Sorry if it was less than clear before. The confusion starts with Kubota calling it a 3rd function kit when it is a diverter valve kit. Only one button on stick.
Understood. Thanks for the education.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
After you figure out which way you like, take 2 zip ties to mark the male/female on one side to make future hookups easier

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
Boz1989: Good idea. Thanks!

nickelplated5s: I'm out in the county, have a permit. I try to only burn when the conditions are favorable and legal, unlike some of my neighbors.