Is there a Ballast Formula

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

I am planning to add Ballast to my rear tires and am wondering if there is some kind of formula to establish how many gallons a certain tire will hold in order to calculate mixtures.

In my particular case, I'll be filling 13.6 X 16 Turf tires and depending on which type of Ballast I decide to use, I would like to have some idea of the tire's capacity in gallons.

Thanks for any input,

Ron

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
You got me interested. That's always a bad thing :D I worked out a way to estimate the volume mathematically.

I doubt there's a way to get an exact figure except empirically due to differences in tire designs (thickness) and rim shape. A calculation can be made by thinking of the volume of the tire the revolution of an ellipse. A revolution is the volume created by a 2D shape being revolved about an axis. A torus is the revolution of a circle. Calculating the volume of a shape like that would require Calculus and aspirin :) However shape created can be thought of as an elliptical cylinder bent in a circle til it's ends touch. The volume of that can be easily calculated using the volume formula for an elliptical cylinder is V=(pi x R1 x R2 x length)/4. The pi x Radius1 x Radius2 part is the surface area of an ellipse. Multiplying that surface area by the length and dividing by gives us the volume of the cylinder. Using the variables below the formula is V=(pi x W x H x L)/4

The two radiuses we need for the ellipse come from the tire width and height. Now that tire code gives the tire width and the rim diameter (13.6 x 16 respectively). It doesn't give the tire height which is required for this calculation. You should measure it (top of the rim to the top of the tire) but for the sake of example I'll assume it's 12 inches. Thus W=13.6 and H=12

To get the length of our cylinder we need to get the circumference (the distance around a circle) of a circle that runs through the middle of our ellipse (black circle). Circumference is just pi x diameter. To get that we take average of the diameter the tire and the diameter of the rim and then take the circumference of that.

So the inner diameter (Id) is the rim size, 16 inches, and the tire's out diameter (Od) is the rim diameter plus 2 times the tire height (Od=2 x H + 16) giving 40 inches. Taking the average of the two gives us the diameter of the black circle (Id+Od/2) gives us 28 inches. It's circumference is the length number we need thus L=28 x pi=88 inches.

Punching our numbers into the formula we get V=(pi x 13.6 x 12 x 88)/4which gives us a full tire volume of 11279.6 cubic inches. 231ci per gallon so 49 gallons per tire if filled to the top. Normal fill is only about 75% so about 37 gallons per tire.

The whole thing ready to dump into a calculator like this one: (((pi*W*H*(pi*((2*H+2*Rd)/2)))/4)/231)*.75 (Rd is rim diameter). A simplified version: (pi^2*H^2+pi^2*Rd*H)*W/1232

It's a rough estimate due to the odd shape but that's how I'd go about doing it. I'd bet that's within 5 gallons of the actual number. Though it may be a bit high as I'm not accounting for the volume the actual tire takes up so you may want to subtract 0.5-1.0 inches from the H and W numbers.

Well that took longer than I planned on. Whether you end up using it or not I enjoyed working it out. :)

Matt

EDIT: Hummmmm cross referencing with the numbers on Lil Foot's table the agri tires come out pretty close when the height is slightly less than the width sounds about right. But that doesn't work at all for the turf tires. I'm not sure why.

Last edited:

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

WOW!!!! Stumpy, you sure were interested, weren't you?? I'm betting that because of your frustration of a certain cylinder sleeve, you needed to direct your mind in a different direction as a means of therapy. I've been there and also done that, but, all I can say is WOW. Definitely not what I expected to see before I've had my morning cup of java. I'm not even sure that after completely waking up that I'll be tempted to work it out with pencil and paper. Bottom line is that I really appreciate you taking the time and thought with your reply.

For now though, I'll reference Lil Foot's reply. I know.....I know...taking the easy way doesn't always build character, but I will definitely keep your (Stumpy) formula in my shop for my moments of frustration.

Thanks to both of you again,

Ron

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Hah! Yeah that definitely played a part in it. Made a nice break from the problem where the only solution is.... disagreeable. There is something elegantly simple about a problem that is just math or inductive and deductive reasoning. Part of the reason I think I've enjoyed attempting to diagnose tractor problems around here so much. Some fun is lost when you're fighting people and budget instead of just the laws of physics.

No worries though Ron, I'd certainly be a little apprehensive about digging into that from the other side. I did condense the whole thing down to a formula where you just plug in tire width, height, and rim width though if your feel like playing with it some day. I'd really like to know why the numbers for the turf tires are so much lower on that site than my formula suggests though. They should be thinner walled than agri tires if anything. Maybe it's a much lower fill level cause the tires can't handle the weight?

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

Thank you also, Skeets. The first link I had already found. The second one I also found before but apparently is an expired Firestone page. The third is by far one of the more comprehensive links with a lot of info.

Thanks again for your help.

Ron

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
In reviewing the information in the last link, I found it interesting the a tractor with duals or triples should have all tires on that axle filled to only 40% each. Of, course that which we knew before, singles to about 75%. All in all a good bit of info found there.