is my PTO an over-running type?

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
i have a L-210 and i have read a few post saying that older kubota tractor PTO's are not over-running and when operating the PTO with tractor in gear the tractor will move if PTO is still spinning. anyone know if my L-210 is this way? and if so how am i to engage the PTO and bring it up to speed then put the tractor in gear?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Depending on the attachment, you can test if the clutch is over-running by if the rotation of the implement causes the tractor to move when the clutch is pushed in. Check out this explanation:

http://www.tractordata.com/articles/technical/overrunning-pto-clutch.html

Oh, and I was born and raised in Meadville. Recently spent some time at the firehouse in Conneaut Lake enjoying the suds and eats.

As a kid the park was a great spot to visit. Too bad about the fire and deterioration of the park. The Blue Streak ride was a thriller.

BTW, you might consider correcting the spelling of Conneaut in your profile.;)

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
I probably would have never realized I had it miss spelled had you not mentioned it. And I believe my tractor is not an overrunning pro as I went out and with it not running I put the pto in gear and tried to turn the shaft by hand and it didn't move at all, put pto in neutral and shaft spun with a finger. So I'm looking to get an overrunning adapter for it.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
If you have a PTO implement like a tiller or a cutter, it's simple to test.

Gear - Neutral
PTO - Engage
Hand Throttle - Idle

Get implement spinning, use foot throttle bring up to 2k rpm or so and release throttle. If you can hear implement and motor sync'd on spin down, no over-run present. It should take the engine longer to return to idle w/ PTO on w/out over-run.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have a L185 of the same series of tractors and yes the PTO is over running in the tractor.

Like others have said test it out-
Put a brush hog on.
Start tractor
Get tractor pointed toward an open area in case it wants to keep going.
Put PTO it gear
Put tractor in low speed and low gear
Let clutch out and you will hear brush hog speed up and tractor will take off.
Let tractor get to speed.
Push the clutch in and press the brakes
Tractor should stop = you have an over run PTO.
If the tractor does not want to stop = you do NOT have over run PTO
Brush hog should be still turning
You should be able to change the transmission gears to a higher gear with no (or little) grinding

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
while im all for some "well here go's" figuring out what my tractor dose. i currently have that white stuff all over. and i may just go ahead and get an overrunning adapter and put it on before i even make my switch from back blade to finish mower. that is if i ever see the grass again. calling for more snow next few days.

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
soo an update, my PTO is not over-running... but it is manageable to run my 5ft landpride finish mower that way. took a small bit of getting used to, but i am confidante with it enough to run it with the tractor in 5th gear (6 speed tranny). compared to the 1988 wheelhorse 516 hydro the kubota L-210 is less agile naturally but but dose the work soooooooooooooooo much faster and with less struggle. what took the wheelhorse literately days to do the kubota has done in a few hrs. :D

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
yeah i was looking into getting one before i put the mower on, but now that i have put the mower on and ran it with out one i don't feel the need for one. might eventually get one to make the operation easier, but for now i don't see an immediate need for it.