Internet Dealers question

Newtractor4me

Apr 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Hi Guys;
At what cost is it worth it to leave the local dealer and purchase on internet from a national dealer. I want a tractor that is 17.5k and i can get it for 16.3k 1000 miles away. Is it worth the risk? for any issues that pop up? At what price or % do you choose.
Thanks in advance for all comments.
Joe

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Your local guy is the only guy you are going to have when and if you need service. It would be nice to help keep him in business for that eventuality.

I think two thousand miles of gas and hotel bills would add up to nearly $750-800. Shipping, from the dealer would run nearly the same. Are you really saving that much? Can the dealer sweeten the deal for you a tad by giving you a break on an implement you might need? Do you have a tandem trailer? Are the tires less than two years old? Is your tow vehicle rated for 7000 lbs? What if you have it shipped and it shows up with a fender gash from a chain that loosened up?

My wife was a Cost Analyst for 20 years in the Air Force and I have learned that things that seem cheaper at first glance often end up costing way more when its all said and done.

I'd buy locally especially if you are buying new.

Tough decision but, its the good kind. Choose wisely.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Have you gone back to the dealer and told him you can get what you want from an on line dealer and the price? Maybe he will comedown to the same price or sweeten the deal some. I would rather deal with someone local myself but money is money and you don't mind somebody making a buck off you but you have to get your moneys worth as well. And remember that no matter where you bought your tractor every dealer has to do what ever warranty work that needs to be done, and cannot refuse you because you didn't buy it there. I would check with the local guy and have a quote from the on line dealer with you, do it face to face not on the phone! Every dealer pays the same price for tractors and everything they sell, some just want to make a bigger profit than others

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
What CCR said. I live on an island and it is very easy to sit on my lazy butt and spend on the Internet. I occasionally do. Still, I try hard to support local merchants as I want them here when I need them. Many merchants are now gone due to ability and ease of shopping elsewhere. We get what we deserve. My province of 145,000 is smaller than a modest city elsewhere and we can't compete with high volume vendors. Local honest merchants including the Kubota dealers do the best they can and often make up with superb service. I will try hard to buy from my neighbours.

Newtractor4me

Apr 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Hi guys;
That is the price difference to my door. Local guy is big operation and doesnt seem to want to deal. Says he has big facility to pay for. In the end, if its warranttee or ins. He has to fix right. Just maybe not in a rush. So anyways, what % or cost amt would you leave for. You know what mine are.
Thanks for all.
Joe

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
NT4,

If the guy has made bad business decisions and he needs you to bail him out, chances are, he won't be there when you need him in two years when your warranty is winding up. If he is just trying to stick you because he thinks he is the only game in town, like Skeets suggested, go back one more time and tell him you have a better offer "elsewhere." If he is still hard on the price, consider pulling the trigger for the Net purchase.

The thing that will sour a Net deal quickly is if the machine you get is not exactly as advertised. Like the 1.5 hour rust queen somebody else was looking at on a dealer lot, this thing could show up and be a FrankenTractor. Sure, its got a warranty but, cosmetic stuff is not covered and, once its off the trailer, it's your baby!

I would insist at least on five or six pictures, including the time-o-meter and the serial data plate to verify the pics you get match the tractor they delivered. If you feel fine with what you see, go for it.

If what Skeets said is true, that all dealers pay the same thing, how can one dealer send you a tractor that will cost him a bunch to ship for that much less than the guy down the street. The guy down the street would have been out of business in no time if all his deals were that "fat."

Something is up...

Proceed with caution.

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
I am going Monday to buy one that I found online. It is about $1,000 cheaper than buying locally. But it is only 125 miles from here and I have a late model truck and a 10,000 GVW trailer. I am driving down to look at it in person before I purchase it and with them only 125 miles away I can take it back for warranty service if I need to. A thousand bucks is a fairly good savings to me living on a pension check.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Will be interested in finding out you guys experience with online or non-local dealers. Last summer I started looking for a 50hp tractor plus fel, bushhog, harrows, and grapple, and a larger trailer. Local dealer didn't have the models I was looking for, but was only 20 miles away. They're nice folks, but have no staff. A salesman, a parts person and a mechanic. Bought my last tractor from them and had to wait for stuff to be done too long. Dealt with another dealer 40 miles away and had an aggravating experience with them in the past. Next closest dealer was 60 miles away, had tons of equipment and probably 10 employees. They had the tractor I wanted (which is pre tier 4). They are very high volume and gave me great prices with no haggling. I spent $45k plus on all the stuff I bought and saved between 10-15% over other dealers including a green tractor dealer. Bottom line, I saved many thousands of dollars. These were all business purchases. The only problems I had were waiting forever for some of the implements and getting the salesman to call me back......that was very aggravating! Now I've got to drive 120 miles (vs 40) round trip to my purchasing dealer, which isn't too bad, but may be an inconvenience some wouldn't want. No doubt I would have bought local if things were different. It's an individual decision.

Last edited: