Interesting Blade Sharpening for Woods PRD8400

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
This probably applies to all Woods finishing mowers, but thought I would mention it. I just checked my blades on the new PRD8400 and, as usual, I had already read the owners manual for required maintenance intervals, etc. This is the first mower of any type that I have ever owned (my second Woods finishing mower BTW) that show a flat leading edge on the blade. The manual says to follow the angle on the blade to sharpen, the put a flat edge of 1/32 to 1/16 wide on the leading edge. So when I checked the blades today, after 30 hours of cutting thick grass, the flat edge was still there. The cut is still very clean and I’m talking primarily Bahia grass which, will ‘lay down’ the frons and not cut well with dull blades.
So I may try this method on my ZTR with an old blade set to see how it works on there. I’m very impressed with how the mower cut and how there is no noticeable rounding on the cutting edge like I get with a normally tapered sharpen technique.

i really like the mower BTW. Quiet and the 7’ cut is just outside the wheels and let’s me get up close to the fence lines and trees.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
My Rhino shredder gives the same advice. Apparently it not only lends strength to the blade…(prevents chipping and fracturing)…. it also “breaks” the grass-stem cleanly. The blades will definitely last longer.

Quote direct from the maintenance manual: “
BLADE SHARPENING
Always sharpen both blades at same time to maintain balance. Follow original sharpening pattern as shown in FIGURE Mnt-R-0008. Always sharpen blades by grinding. DO NOT heat and pound out edge. Do not sharpen blade to a razor edge, but leave a 1/16" blunt edge. Do not sharpen back side of blade.”

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
It definitely is a cleaner cut. I’m going to try it on my ZTR.