Installing the thumb grapple

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
So i finally bought the thumb and i purchased a 3rd function kit from Summit. This will be my first upgrade on the l2501.

can anyone give me any advice/tips on how to attach the thumb to my bucket? It seems like some use anglw iron and weld, and i have seen a square tubing to attach the thumb’s base metal. What is the easiest?

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
So i finally bought the thumb and i purchased a 3rd function kit from Summit. This will be my first upgrade on the l2501.

can anyone give me any advice/tips on how to attach the thumb to my bucket? It seems like some use anglw iron and weld, and i have seen a square tubing to attach the thumb’s base metal. What is the easiest?
Which thumb?

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
grapple4.jpg

grapple5.jpg

grapple6.jpg

This is how I did my Green Machine thumb. The plate I welded on top of the bucket lip has nuts welded to the bottom. I put another plate on my forks and can transfer the thumb from bucket to forks with four bolts.

I haven't twisted anything (yet...) but I use it mostly for securing large loads like brush and haven't done (nor do I intend to do) any ripping and tearing with it.

Reactions: 2 users

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
View attachment 86849

View attachment 86850

View attachment 86851

This is how I did my Green Machine thumb. The plate I welded on top of the bucket lip has nuts welded to the bottom. I put another plate on my forks and can transfer the thumb from bucket to forks with four bolts.

I haven't twisted anything (yet...) but I use it mostly for securing large loads like brush and haven't done (nor do I intend to do) any ripping and tearing with it.
that is what i am looking for. So you drill 4 holes, assuming to secure the baseplate and then weld the whole thing to the bucket? What is the purpose of the added bar plate in between the bucket and baseplate?

can i just weld the baseplate directly onto the bucket? My bucket has an added plate when someone added couple hooks when i acquire the tractor.

here is a picture of my bucket…

Attachments

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
The holes were drilled to clear the nuts welded to the bottom of the mount. The mount was welded to the bucket lip all the way around.

Then the base plate of the thumb was bolted to the mount plate welded to the bucket.

Another copy of the base plate was welded to the frame of my forks so I can bolt the thumb to either device.

grapple15.jpg

Another advantage to the system is that when I'm not using the thumb (which is most of the time) I bolt this hook-and-D Ring plate to the mount.

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
If i plan to leave the thumb baseplate on my bucket, can i just either bolt or weld directly to the bucket?

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
If i plan to leave the thumb baseplate on my bucket, can i just either bolt or weld directly to the bucket?
Given your already reinforced bucket lip, I'd say that would be fine. I'd bolt it just because I like to have options and being able to remove it might come in handy.