Installing the BX25 FEL

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Correct me if I a wrong, but does installing the BX25 FEL involve following:???

1. Scrapping paint off the tractor.
2. Denting the hood
3. Bending the 3rd function valve bracket
4. Using a Jack
5. Using a pry bar.
6. Tearing the hell out of a gravel driveway.
7. 1.5 hours to accomplish

If so, I think I did it correctly. I do know one thing. Never in my wildest of dreams would I have every imagined that thing to be such a PIA to put back on.

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
I'm new to it aswell.. 1st time took me 20 minutes to get it lined up again... 2nd time took me longer to get the hoses to connect. Outside of digging a hole in the driveway, scratching some paint on the towers. I did ok.

Perfectly level ground seems to be the key.

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
I used to have troubles installing the FEL. My dealer made some adjustments which improved things. (Don't know what they did.) I found that keeping the FEL on a BXpanded FEL dolly helped and making sure the bucket is correctly placed on the dolly when removing the FEL.

Disclaimer: I haven't put the FEL on in a few months, so see the "Things that make you swear" thead when I do.

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
I have only removed and replaced my fel twice. the first time went very well, the second not as good because I forgot to release the pressure before removing the hydraulic lines.
the lines will not go back on with pressure in them!
lesson learned, always move the joystick around to release pressure before removing the hydraulic lines.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have a L3901DT and have taken the FEL off at least three times and I have been very lucky that it went back on easy. Like has already been stated, level ground and remove the pressure before removing the hydraulic lines is key.

Two of the times I had it off was to remove mouse nest from on top of the manifold, that was move of a pain than the FEL.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Just keep practicing. I can remove or install start to finish in 5 minutes. Although it is a woods FEL on my bx. Don't know how different they go on. First few times took quite awhile to figure out the correct adjustment or pin location for the feet. Had a heck of a time getting it to drop off.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Keep practicing, I remove mine in my shed on concrete, in a few minutes now. It does get easier. I dont have a dolly for the FEL yet but may down the road.

When I take the FEL off,
1. Put down kickstand
2. Remove pins and lift arms
3. Turn off engine
4. Relieve hydrolauic pressure by moving handle in all directions.
5. Unhook hoses
6. Restart engine and back out

When I install FEL,
1. Drive in center
2. Turn off engine
3. Hook up all hoses
4. Start engine
5. Drive in/forward a little, position arms up/down,in/out
6. Final postioning of arms up/down, in/out
7. Install pins
8. Put up kickstand

Now the backhoe I fight everytime! The bxpanded dolly does make it easier to line up.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Well that was embarrassing, I should never have said it was easy.:eek: When you take the fel off and its 20F and put the fel back on and its 80F you will have to relieve the pressure. I used the fel a month ago while burning some brush. A couple of days later it turned cold again and with snow coming I put the snowblower back on. I remember relieving the pressure when I took the fel off. I guess that hydraulic fluid expands a little when it warms up 60 degrees.:rolleyes:

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Also be careful moving it around when off. First time I had it off we pushed it around and off to side. Ended up with arms that connect to tractor at different angles. Moving one moves the other opposite because of connected hydraulics. After getting back lined up to tractor had to crack a line to relieve the pressure before the hydraulics would connect.

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
As the guys above said... first time takes some time. But I can do it in a couple minutes now. I think the thing that takes the longest for me, is that I don't like the dripping hydro oil. I don't want the spots on my garage floor, or driveway. SO... I hold a rag at the fittings as I take them apart, and wipe them out. It keeps them clean too, since dust/dirt doesn't stick in the wet oil.

But, here's a couple things to keep in mind:

1) DO NOT try to lift the front end with the kickstand. Put the tip of the bucket down just a little to keep the kickstand clear at first.

2) Make sure to put the kickstand down before starting. (once the pins are out, you may not have room)

3) After the pins are out... make sure the bucket is flat, and in a relaxed position.

4) MAKE SURE to relieve the pressure !!! After you shut the engine off... work the control for a minute or so. (slowly) I know the vids show a quick "Stir"... but I've found that pressure may still be in the system. It makes it dam near impossible to get the fittings back on. One time, I had to crack a fitting on my FEL to release pressure before I could get the fittings together.

5) Since you said you dented/scratched the hood... put it in low range before driving into the FEL. You will have more control.

6) Do it on a solid, flat surface. I think gravel may make things hard if it's not flat. (and you may just dig holes) OR... at least throw down a sheet of plywood.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
We have had our BX for a month now and have removed/installed the FEL loader about six times. Probably took ten minutes the first time and now we have it down to under five, easily. Like anything else, it gets easier each time.

Most have already been mentioned but, a few key points:
1. A hard, level surface is your best friend. We have only done it on a concrete floor.
2. Shut off tractor and make sure ALL pressure has been relieved.
3. Give each male and female coupler a shot of ether to flush oil from them before capping them off with the plastic covers. The ether evaporates very quickly and prevents dirt from entering the hydraulic system when hooked back up.
4. Once FEL is off, remove all paint from mounting pin holes. Use a light coat of grease to keep corrosion away.
Mounting:
1. Position tractor with care. If it does not look quite right, back out and try again. Make sure you are square with the loader.
2. Hook up hoses before you have pulled all the way in. Much easier before the couplers are directly behind the loader frame.
3. Once in position, lift the front tire off the ground before inserting pins.
4. Make sure the parking brake is off for #3. The rear tires need to rotate forward while lifting the front end up.

If FEL removal or attachment is problematic, you are most likely fighting one or more of the following:
1. The ground.
2. Paint.
3. Residual hydraulic pressure.

08quadram

Equipment
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Honestly, I don't think I've ever even shut off the tractor during the process. Yeah, I'm sure I should for safety.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Honestly, I don't think I've ever even shut off the tractor during the process. Yeah, I'm sure I should for safety.

Can't relieve the pressure in the hoses w/out shutting down. You must be disconnecting with the loader in the sweet spot if they are easy to hook back up! I do mount the loader without shutting down.

gregger

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
Saint John, NB Canada
Wow, that WAS a chore!- I've had mine off couple dozen times, no problem, but one time I did it out in my yard, not level ground- - That was a different story, it required prybar, hunkering around, and it did take 20 minutes.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
With the control valve in the neutral position there should be no pressure from the hydraulic system in the hoses.:rolleyes: However, there is about 2000 psi in the system, I choose to shut my tractor down when connecting hydraulic hoses.;)

08quadram

Equipment
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
With the control valve in the neutral position there should be no pressure from the hydraulic system in the hoses.:rolleyes: However, there is about 2000 psi in the system, I choose to shut my tractor down when connecting hydraulic hoses.;)
I grew up watching and helping my father, uncles, grandfathers, neighbors farm and can't say they ever shut off a tractor to disconnect/connect any hydraulic hose. But I understand the reasons to.

user4211

Mar 23, 2016
Crawfordsville,In
I have never shut mine off to disconnect or connect the lines. Pioneer couplings will go together with a few hundred psi in the lines. As long as the tires are on the ground and no cylinders are bottomed out, there shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk