Installing a BX7330 ROPS light kit on a BX1500

Timberline

Equipment
BX1500
Dec 28, 2012
Canaan Valley, WV
I'm throwing this out in hopes of saving someone some time if someone else tries this.

Though I cut about a 1/4 acre of grass a few times a year, the primary purpose of my BX1500 is snow blowing. The drive is 850' long, on a 17º slope plus a parking area around the house. At the peak of our snow season, it is not uncommon for me to go through five gallons of a diesel a week doing so. This season we had 223".

There are many times I am out there at zero dark thirty because I have to get somewhere and the stock headlights are close to useless, especially when the snow is coming down and the wind is swirling every which direction in the woods. I finally decided to install some ROPS lights and purchased the BX7330 kit from my dealer a few weeks ago. Though it states it's for BX1870D/BX2370D/BX2670D/BX25DLB, the dealer said it would also work on a BX1500.

Regardless, today being a nice day out, I decided to get them installed. I began by putting everything together loosely just so I could make sure I got them to work. Following the directions was fairly straight forward until I actually hooked up the included wiring harness.

The included harness has three wires; one solid red, one solid black and one red with a blue stripe marked with an RL tag and the instructions saying to make sure you attach it to the RL wire on the tractor. On the tractor side there are also three wires; one solid black, one red with a blue strip, presumably the RL wire, and one that is blue with a white stripe.

I hooked them up as instructed; black to black, RL to RL and solid red to blue with white stripe. I turned on the ignition and flipped the switch on one of the lights. The light did not come on and a warning light marked "HST" (whatever that is) did come on. I then switched two of the wires with the new hookup being RL on the included harness to blue with white stripe on the tractor and solid red on the harness to RL on the tractor. This was opposite the directions, but worked for the BX1500 and I now have working lights.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That should be a handy tip for somebody.

Man, I can't imagine getting that much snow. We're still in shock over the storm that dumped 2' on us back in "93". That storm shut North Ga. down for almost 2 weeks.