Injectors, repair or replace?

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
Got the L260 running after a long wait on parts (several orders). Excessive smoke while trying to start. Takes quite a bit of cranking, so much that I have to wait for the smoke to clear before I attempt to start again. Once started it has some consistent white smoke. Doesn't seem to matter the RPM. Once it's at operating temp and I shut off, it doesn't start any easier. I'm thinking injectors. Seems to have good compression from what I can tell. Decomp lever is closed, new glow plugs. Let me know what your thoughts are on this.

Here is a link to a video of it running just above idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81RGV9F3aeU

Thanks all!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Philac, you can remove the injectors and take them to a local diesel injection pump repair shop. They should be able to test them to see at what pressure they "pop". If they're within specs. you're fine, if not have them rebuild them. (Or at least have a new price already located, so when you get the news from them you will know which way to go.) Around here there are a couple of shops that do not charge for the testing of pop off pressure and spray pattern.

What's nice is no matter what you don't need 8!

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
Thanks D2Cat,

I'll pull them this weekend and look for any obvious issues without taking them apart. They are around $130ea. from Kubota. When I went to change the fuel filter, the spring in the bottom of the filter cup, that holds the filter up against the outlet port, was missing. So the filter was just sitting on the bottom of the filter cup and any dirt had ample opportunity to make it's way to the injectors. Hoping the repair/replacement of the injectors will fix this issue and at least make it easier to start. I can live with a little running smoke.

Guess I'll start looking for a diesel shop. Do the Kubota dealers have the ability to test?

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Few if any Kubota dealers have the in-house capability to reliably and correctly test injectors. They'd rather sell the new part.

You need to find a high-end (ideally a 'clean room' environment---a sloppy nasty poorly-lit shop isn't it) diesel pump repair facility that has the knowledge skills and ability to work on your stuff.

A personal point: I find it hard to believe that a dirty and poorly maintained shop can effectively and efficiently work on the finely machined low-tolerance parts found in a diesel injection pump. And associated injectors.

The spring in the bottom of the fuel filter bowl is usually not present in used machines. When I look at a possible used purchase that's the first thing I look for. Most are missing. It's an indication how the Current Owner takes care of their equipment. An actual quote: "Aw, hail, that 'lil 'ol sprang ain't thet 'potant it don't worry me none." It does me though.

Try online for pricing of new injectors after confirming your part number(s).

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
There are 4 dealers within 50 miles of me and none of them test injectors, but they pay their utility bills because they sell NEW parts. There are 2 diesel injection pump rebuild shops within 100 mile(and I'm sure there are more) that I've used and do excellent work.

You're on the wrong side of the state or you could take them to St. Joseph Diesel! Do a google search for injection pump repair.

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
Found one here in South St. Louis that has been in business for around 50 years and seem pretty reputable. I have searched online for the injectors and $130 seems to be the going rate. Yeah, I couldn't believe the spring was gone. What did they think they were gaining by removing it?!!!

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I've come to the conclusion most owners (those that don't have the much-needed spring) don't consciously remove the fuel bowl spring, it's just that they don't care, lose it, and never worry about it. Heaven forebid they use a parts schematic. Which pretty much describes how they care for (or not) their equipment. Which also is why I use this as an indicator when looking at used iron.

Honestly, a lot of people can break a hammer and then wonder why.

Got a neighbor, thinks a bigger hammer is the one and only way to fix anything. Leaves his stuff lying where it lands. Was over there one day and saw a couple pair of pliers rusted to his shade-tree metal workbench. Literally rusted solid to the bench. So he comes over and wants to borrow a pair of large pump pliers. Having seen this coming I had picked up at garage sales fifty-cent Chinese junk pliers. He brings them back, tell me my pliers broke. Turns out that's the only pair I had to loan.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
You guys seem to put way too much emphasis on maintenance! I once went to look at a Ditch Witch trencher that was for sale. I asked the owner how he liked it and a couple hundred other questions. One of the questions was, "How often do you have to grease the digging boom?" (I knew the answer, I was testing his knowledge of maintenance.) He said, "Never, it doesn't have grease fittings." There are two of them at each bearing and they have a metal pipe plug over them to keep dirt out!!!!!

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
Took the injectors out yesterday and then connected them back up outside of the head and cranked the engine and they seemed to be atomizing the fuel decently. The fan/mist pattern looked to be the same on both of them. Reinstalled and will try starting again next weekend.

Got the coolant neck re-sealed as it was leaking even with the new gasket. It had been brazed and wasn't a perfect enough deck to deck match so I had to use a little gasket sealer. Refilled the water and will wait to see if there is any leaks, external or internal. Going to wait until next weekend to run again to give it time to show if the head gasket is leaking or not.

Changed the oil and filter from the test run last weekend and cleaned up some of the old wiring the PO had jerry rigged. I hate half-assed wiring.:mad: