Informal Skeet Shoot.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Going to have a couple of Old Friends over this weekend to visit and shoot a little informal skeet (as out in the pasture...with a thrower).

Should be fun. Weather is nice (here) this time of year.

Pretty sure I've got enough Clay Birds.
;)

Clay birds01.jpg

Clay birds02.jpg

But I checked my ammo lockers....and found them a bit 'lacking'.

Going to have restock it.

SS Locker01.jpg

Champion Thrower_aa.jpg
SS Locker02.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Sounds like a blast!

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
lead or steel shot?
Mine will be lead. Others are free to bring what they wish. But any that I shoot (or provide to others will be lead).

Thankfully (in my State) we still get to choose (on privately owned property or not hunting waterfowl, etc).

Clay Birds are biodegradable as well.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Sounds like a blast!

Yeah, I reload for everything except my shotguns (and rimfire ammo obviously).

Just easier for me to buy shotshells than to find the time (and components) to reload for them.

Reactions: 1 user

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
ammo.jpg

Not much of a shotgun shooter any more, but I do like to be prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse. :D

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I'll pick up a couple of boxes of 'Midi' and 'Mini' birds as well. Those really haul A$$ and you have to be quick to hit those before they get out of range.

claytypes.jpg

Miini Clay Bird.jpg

And of course there might be 'refreshments' for AFTER the shooting.

Dos Equis.jpg

Last edited:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Man, it’s been a long time since I’d did that. Still have 6 months till I’m allowed to with a shotgun or rifle that doesn’t have good recoil suppression. My 12 with a full choke kicks like a mule.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Do you plan to have fellow OTT Participant “skeets” attend..?

• Haha

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Do you plan to have fellow OTT Participant “skeets” attend..?
Couple of old High School buddies this time. Not too many of us left....actually.

Usually....just set things up for family members (Older Brother, Nephews, Nieces). Sometimes a few folks from church.

Much more fun NOW (while the weather is nice) than later in the year.

Summertime in Deep East Texas is brutal.

Scabbed together a small box to hold loose shotshells, so a person can just reach in and get a couple of handfuls. Don't have to dump a whole box in your pouch that way if you don't like the weight.

Loose Ammo Box01.jpg

Paint should be dry by morning.

Loose Shell Box01.jpg

Loose Shell Box02.jpg

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’ll have to share this True Story:

In the early 1980’s, living in Bryan/College Station,TX…. my co-pilot Mike had a room-mate who, together, they rented a house. We were all in our early ‘30s and single…so a lot of partying was carried-on over there.
This house was occasionally a bit like the Fraternity House in the movie “Animal House”.

Mike’s room-mate was a fellow named Joe Kammlah…. a newspaperman, and the Sports-Writer for “The Bryan Eagle” …the local paper. Joe was a bit of a local celebrity as he covered every Sports Event imaginable including the local school football and baseball games, Plus All the sports events involving Texas A&M University. (the ”Aggies”)

Mike was a bit of a “rounder” …. but Joe had an honest-to-gawd following among MANY lovely young college ladies and ALL the lovely singles over on the campus because of his personal relationships with all the University Players.

Joe was deeply involved in all the sporting events local, statewide and even many national ball games… football, soccer, baseball, volleyball, basketball…. but he was also well known in Golf and Bowling circles. Everyone at one time or other had presented Joe with polished Walnut and Brass Sports-Trophies of EVERY Sport imaginable. Joe had so many trophies…he dedicated one of the bedrooms in the house as his “Trophy Room”…. and all the young ladies who visited always got a personal tour of the ”Trophy Room” …and all the “Oooh’s and Aahhh’s” which emanated from the Trophy Room was only matched by all the “Oooh’s and Aahhh’s” which later emanated from his darkened bedroom.

Each year they hosted a ”Charade-of-Stars”…. an “Annual Academy of Sports Awards” party at the house…. which included a huge cut-out-cardboard limousine out at the curb in front of the sidewalk which led up to the front porch and entry-door of the house. Spotlights were set up and photographs of each party-couple would be taken as they arrived…to step-through the limousine-cut-out-door…and into the Spotlights. An Award would be given to the couple voted “most convincing” at the peak of the evening and a framed photo of that arrival-event would be presented.

Joe KNEW how to throw a party!

One day Mike and I were sitting in the bar on one of our regular flights to Atlanta. These flights were to take our corporate executive bosses over to work at our Atlanta company office-bldg…. and we two had nothing to do but spend the company’s money at every bar and nightclub we could find from the Tuesday arrival until the Friday return flight.
While we were drinking in a club over on Paces Ferry Rd. we happened to meet a salesgirl for “Southern Trophies and Awards” who was out with a girlfriend bar-hopping also. That’s when it HIT ME!

JOE…the big man about small-town Bryan/College Station…. Did Not have a SHOOTING TROPHY!

We decided to find out WHY?…. and upon our return to our hometown…we asked Joe about that.
It turned out that Joe…big-time Sports-Writer….had NEVER FIRED A GUN! :oops:
We were SHOCKED! …and informed Joe that in Texas…THAT WAS ILLEGAL! Especially for a Sports-Writer …not to have written at least ONE story about the “shooting sports” ….and I happened to be friends with the daughter of the biggest insurance agent in town who owned one of the largest ranches in the county… SOooo … We set up an outdoor Bar-B-Que and Skeet-Shooting Event for the very next week… and we promised Joe to teach him HOW TO SHOOT SKEET!

The appointed day arrived and we all drove our pickups out to the Benchley Ranch and Joe followed in his Volvo.

We were met by the ranch-owner’s daughter and her friends and the ranch-hands already had the smoker goin’ since before daylight….. 🤠

We set up the Clay-Target-Thrower and opened up a case of Clays and another of Shells…. briefed Joe on the Remington 1100 we were presenting to him… and Mike demonstrated by shattering a few “birds” with the 1100…

We then coached Joe on Stance… Swing…. “PULL”…. etc etc…. and the FUN BEGAN!

🤐

It was….. surprisingly…. bad.

Joe called ”PULL” …time and again….until all the Clay targets had been launched…. and he never hit a Single One!

We walked out into the grass and managed to retrieve maybe a dozen that had landed without shattering…. and ..We Launched them a SECOND TIME!

Joe missed all 12.

We found ONE which had landed intact…. so we set it up in the branches of a low bush….a stationary clay target …and pointed Joe at it from about 20 feet away…… and…..Yep…..he missed it. The bush quivered…and dropped it onto the ground where it broke. 🥺

Oh Well…. We cracked open the beer-chest and ate ourselves silly on brisket and sausages and one of the guys pulled out his guitar and as the sun went down we sat around the campfire by the stock-pond and sang every song we knew until we ran out of beer and stories. It was still a Fine Day!

The following week, Mike and I had our usual trip back over to Atlanta…where we went over to the Southern Trophy and Awards showroom…greeted our new-found lady-friend ….and we arranged for a Shooting Trophy for Joe.
It was ready two days later…just in-time for our return flight to Texas.

At the next house-party…we presented Joe with a beautiful 20-inch tall trophy which he could prominently display in his ”Trophy Room”…for ALL his paramours to “Ooohh and Aahhh” over…
It was a Shotgunner in the Classic-Pose of a Skeet-Shooter…leaning into the shot… holding the gun forward in Perfect Form…. and with bated-breath Mike and I stood-by to hear Joe’s explanation to his admiring lady-friend the meaning of the INSCRIPTION on the BASE….

”JOE KAMMLAH - APRIL 4, 1980
PERFECT SCORE!”

😆😂😅🤣😅

Postscript: Joe left the paper a couple years later, retiring at a young 40, to become the happily married president of the Chamber of Commerce in a famous Central Texas German community, where his great-great grandfather had immigrated in the late 1800’s.

He is just as well-known there also.

Here’s to YOU, Joe! 🍻 🍺

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user