Incline safety

Citro-nut

Equipment
B4200 Tractor, KH31 excavator
May 30, 2021
France
Hi, me being new to tractors and rear mower etc, I would like a little guidence on cutting a bank with a slight incline. i have a section at the end of my plot about 2 yards wide which is sloped. I ran my b4200 along the bottom of it and felt a little uneasy. I just don't know how stable they are, despite being what appears to be a low centre of gravity, it really isn't that wide!! :sneaky:
Advise appreciated thanks.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
They are surprisingly stable. That being said, if you're at all in question, go up and down the slope and avoid going side-slope.
There are many discussions here on the topic. Get some wheel spacers to make it a little wider. Fill the tires (rear) with some ballast, like beet juice or glycol. That's about all you can do. If you still feel uneasy, heed your conscience.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi, me being new to tractors and rear mower etc, I would like a little guidence on cutting a bank with a slight incline. i have a section at the end of my plot about 2 yards wide which is sloped. I ran my b4200 along the bottom of it and felt a little uneasy. I just don't know how stable they are, despite being what appears to be a low centre of gravity, it really isn't that wide!! :sneaky:
Advise appreciated thanks.

This is something you learn with practice. I am 70 years old and I was on my first tractor about 2 - obviously not the operator - that didn't happen until 7-8 :)

I have three small Kubotas that I have used for the last 30 years and in that time I have slowly learned the limits of each of them. I routinely mow the bank behind my housie with all three and feel fine on a very significant side hill. I just bought a larger L3901 and the first time I drove it across my front yard which is much flatter I had a minor panic attack. I was sitting way up high and it felt like I was going to go over sideways any second. I knew better - it was more than safe but I could not shake the uneasy feeling that high perch was giving me. A month or so later and 40 hours in the seat of the new tractor and that anxiety is gone.

So go slow and cautiously explore the limits of your new machine. Tractors don't usually go from stable to upside down without warning. When you get close to the limit you get feedback - wheels start sliding sideways or you can feel one starting to lift. Time to get to safer terrain and make a note of where you where. Low slung implements significantly reduce the CG of a tractor. The belly mower on my little G series weighs almost as much as the tractor and that really glues it to the ground. Conversely raised implements raise the CG and get you into trouble.

Also always be aware of ground conditions - a slope that you can safely operate on in dry conditions can become deadly when wet. Rubber tired tractors slide easily on wet grass and when you are sliding you are no longer in control. That can put you in a place you really don't want to go. Be aware of your surroundings and when going into sketchy areas make sure you have an escape route before venturing in.

Be cautious and listen to the machine - it will tell you everything you need to know.

Dan

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Make sure your ROPS are up, seatbelt ON, 4WD engaged, and the loader and loads are kept in the lowest possible position. You will probably be sliding sideways if it gets too steep so keep your ground speeds low.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
did you mow it before, using a regular 'riding lawn mower' ?
is the incline constant, no bumps or lumps or gopher holes ?
what's the angle ? can you stand sideways,drink a coffee , on the 'incline' ?

1st rule of 'inclines', ALWAYS mow up and down NOT sideways.
2nd rule... be sure life insurance is paid up

bottom line, if you feel 'unsafe' do NOT do it.

Reactions: 1 user

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
It would be nice if Kubota and/or tractor manufacturer would include a incline-meter on them so you would know when your close to the tip limit.

Reactions: 2 users

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
One thing to remember on 4 wheel tractors they can behave a lot like a 3 wheeled tractor on slopes, especially with heavy front end loads... The front 2 wheel axle pivots on the center pin... The amount of pivot may not be much on some tractors, but that small amount to movement (allowing the tractor to start a tip over) may carry enough inertia for it to continue toward a roll over.

This is especially critical in using a front end loader as the weight in the bucket can shift a major amount of weight off the rear axle (which provides the side to side stablity) onto the front axle..

Hard to appreciate how the pivoting front axle with heavy FEL load leads to tip over until you've seen one happen.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
One thing to remember on 4 wheel tractors they can behave a lot like a 3 wheeled tractor on slopes, especially with heavy front end loads... The front 2 wheel axle pivots on the center pin... The amount of pivot may not be much on some tractors, but that small amount to movement (allowing the tractor to start a tip over) may carry enough inertia for it to continue toward a roll over.

This is especially critical in using a front end loader as the weight in the bucket can shift a major amount of weight off the rear axle (which provides the side to side stablity) onto the front axle..

Hard to appreciate how the pivoting front axle with heavy FEL load leads to tip over until you've seen one happen.
You have gotten some great advice. Our members certainly provide a wealth of knowledge!
I would reiterate two "for your considerations"
Consider beet juice fill in the rears. I am attaching some information that may be of use. There are other brand available.

Consider wheel spacers. They can cause the tires to interfere with some MMM decks, so watch your specs.

Good luck, and be safe.

Last edited:

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
It would be nice if Kubota and/or tractor manufacturer would include a incline-meter on them so you would know when your close to the tip limit.
Yes. I have been wondering why this is not included on all tractors. I understand that implements, loads, and load heights can make a big difference in how far you can safely tilt a tractor, but some sort of large bubble level with increments clearly marked would be helpful.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I mow very steep slopes. I set the rims out to their widest position and run 2 or 3" spacers on the rear wheels. I drive slowly and either operate with the loader off or just inches off the ground. This is something you just have to get a feel for.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
The manufacturer may not, but, I sure do!

Mike

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If they were to add the incline-meter as you called them there would be several problems. The first would be you said, I could drive on a 20 degree slope. I was on a 19 degree slope and it rolled over. It is your fault.

Never mind the slope was wet and the tire fell into a gopher hole.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I bought a stick on angle meter from amazon. Then i side sloped and noted the angle and the fact that i didnt roll and die. I now feel safer on that hill and others because i know how far over ive been.

Last edited:

Citro-nut

Equipment
B4200 Tractor, KH31 excavator
May 30, 2021
France
I did my first bit of mowing today, including the slopes, I must confess to being a bit 'twitchy' but I guess thats good eh??:D

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
Nothing wrong with that...keeps you aware!

Mike

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: why no factory inclinometers....

LIABILITY ! If they don't sell it, it's NOT they're fault..YOU rolled over.....

It'd be a nightmare testing EVERY combination of tires/implements/speed/weight,soil/etc. to make a HUGE table of 'accpetable angles',insert as page ONE of the manual,then have the new owner 'sigh off' as having READ it !

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I bought a stick on angle meter from amazon. Then i side sloped and noted the angle and the fact that i didnt roll and die. I now feel safer on that hill and others because i know how far over ive been.
That works fine as long as the front/steering wheels are kept in the exact same alignment as when you ran that test. Cut the wheels up-hill and you’re in danger. Add momentum and your previous test is invalid. Let the deer-antler which punctured your tire let-loose and let the air out of a tire and you’re upside down.
Just sayin’…. there Ain’t No substitute for awareness and caution and no gadget is going to make these tractors safe in all the ways they can be operated.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
That works fine as long as the front/steering wheels are kept in the exact same alignment as when you ran that test. Cut the wheels up-hill and you’re in danger. Add momentum and your previous test is invalid. Let the deer-antler which punctured your tire let-loose and let the air out of a tire and you’re upside down.
Just sayin’…. there Ain’t No substitute for awareness and caution and no gadget is going to make these tractors safe in all the ways they can be operated.
One could get struck by lightning on a 2 degree slope and die too.

The angle gauge isnt there to tell me the tractors tipping point but rather at what angle i have been before safely.

I WELDED 1/8" bar stock for light mounting tabs with about a 1/4" bead of weld directly onto my ROPS so thats what going to kill me anyway.🙄

Last edited: