Important differenes between LX2610 and B2601?

kehyler

Jul 17, 2021
Northeast
Hi Guys,

After visiting a dealer, I'm considering purchasing an LX2610 or a B2601. I'm doing my due diligence I'm trying to make sure that I have a grasp of all the pertinent differences between the models.

Planned Attachments:
  • midmount mower
  • combo front end bucket
  • front snowblower or angling blade, haven't decided here yet
  • box blade
Planned uses were discussed in this thread (link). (I moved away from the B2680 due to the need to move my trailer around.)

I've studied this image (link), and I'm using the B2650 from it to infer many of the spec differences from the LX2610 compared to the B2601. The dealer that I went to seemed to indicate that the LX was a deluxe model and has more standard features than the B2601.

Could someone tell me (or point me to a resource) where I can understand the differences between the LX2610 and the B2601? I'm looking for examples of stuff like, the LX comes with this as standard but it's an upgrade on the B2601...Just trying to make sure it's worth the extra ~2 grand or so.

Thanks! Looking forward to joining this club soon.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Down load the LX and B brochures from Kubota's website; they contain all of the specs (tractor and attachments) plus standard/optional equipment for each model/sub-model.

You should be able to answer most of your questions.

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I have owned BX, B2601 and LX. The B2601 is like sitting on a BX. It is cramped and uncomfortable. The LX offers a more spacious operator station and a much better seat. The slight differences in capacities/capability are listed in specs on kubota website. If you are going to be putting in any reasonable amount of seat time annually, just get the LX.

kehyler

Jul 17, 2021
Northeast
I have owned BX, B2601 and LX. The B2601 is like sitting on a BX. It is cramped and uncomfortable. The LX offers a more spacious operator station and a much better seat. The slight differences in capacities/capability are listed in specs on kubota website. If you are going to be putting in any reasonable amount of seat time annually, just get the LX.
Thanks. Mind commenting on the maneuverability of the Lx2610 vs B2601? That is also a small concern of mine.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I have very tight, mature woods here, and the reason I didn't buy the LX initially was because I was afraid it would have been too big to maneuver. That was simply not the case. The LX gets around just as easily as the B2601 did. In fact, it feels more stable than the B2601 did. The LX will fit everywhere the B2601 will.

The biggest reason I got out of the B2601 after 9 months and 250 hours was discomfort, there is no comparison between the two.

On the flip side... there isnt any WORK my LX has done that my B2601 wouldn't have. So in terms of utility and capability, they are nearly the same.

Reactions: 1 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I've read and seen on videos that there are some differences in the way the treadle pedal works on B vs. LX. Some have said the B's works like butter; whereas, another said he had to stand up to get it to go reverse. A couple have reported jerky treadles on the LX. Best to try out yourself.

On the B, you need to get the axle spacers that put the wheels 3 inches farther apart to clear 4 ft implements in the back and to get nearer the LX 53 inch stability. Run a price of the B with the spacers vs. the LX. It's quite a deal to put those spacers on (a video on it). I'd definitely want the dealer to do it. Think you can price in the the "build" part of the Kubota web site.

Turning radius without turning brakes applied are the same. I've seen videos where the turning brakes on a B did not shorten this. On my 4010 I had, the turning brakes allowed one to rotate right around the stopped rear wheel. Haven't seen this on an LX yet. Main use of turning brakes for me though has been for moving snow/ice and pushing large items where the wheels have no affect.

There's STEEL above the driveshaft on an LX (shown in a partial teardown video). Not sure yet what the B has. JDs smaller tractors have just plastic. One JD owner almost broke his leg when his driveshaft broke and shredded all that plastic.

The B is near 8 inches shorter than the LX. Don't know with loader on and all. Around 200 # lighter.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I've read and seen on videos that there are some differences in the way the treadle pedal works on B vs. LX. Some have said the B's works like butter; whereas, another said he had to stand up to get it to go reverse. A couple have reported jerky treadles on the LX. Best to try out yourself.

On the B, you need to get the axle spacers that put the wheels 3 inches farther apart to clear 4 ft implements in the back and to get nearer the LX 53 inch stability. Run a price of the B with the spacers vs. the LX. It's quite a deal to put those spacers on (a video on it). I'd definitely want the dealer to do it. Think you can price in the the "build" part of the Kubota web site.

Turning radius without turning brakes applied are the same. I've seen videos where the turning brakes on a B did not shorten this. On my 4010 I had, the turning brakes allowed one to rotate right around the stopped rear wheel. Haven't seen this on an LX yet. Main use of turning brakes for me though has been for moving snow/ice and pushing large items where the wheels have no affect.

There's STEEL above the driveshaft on an LX (shown in a partial teardown video). Not sure yet what the B has. JDs smaller tractors have just plastic. One JD owner almost broke his leg when his driveshaft broke and shredded all that plastic.

The B is near 8 inches shorter than the LX. Don't know with loader on and all. Around 200 # lighter.
pedal differences between the two are insignificant. The B2601 transmission was a little smoother, LX transmission can be as smooth with enough finesse and attention.

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
These should help. First is B2650 vs B2601...the LX2610 is the newer version of the B2650 so watch the second video to see that info. The only concern I see is a mid mount mower on the LX...that seems like a bit big of a machine for a MMM...see what others think that own them.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Another difference is dash display. B's is analog. LX's is digital. I like analog better, but you can get a direct readout of PTO rpm on the digital. I find that 450 rpm is fine for the bush hog and 4 to 6 inch wood chipper. Don't need all that 24.8 hp.

kehyler

Jul 17, 2021
Northeast
These should help. First is B2650 vs B2601...the LX2610 is the newer version of the B2650 so watch the second video to see that info. The only concern I see is a mid mount mower on the LX...that seems like a bit big of a machine for a MMM...see what others think that own them.

I’m literally watching this already over lunch.

what’s too big about the LX for a MMM?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I’m literally watching this already over lunch.

what’s too big about the LX for a MMM?
Ill let others that own this machine and decided on a mower to answer that. For me in this size machine its a 3 PT mower. A 60 or 72" MMM is just too bulky to deal with.

kehyler

Jul 17, 2021
Northeast
Ill let others that own this machine and decided on a mower to answer that. For me in this size machine its a 3 PT mower. A 60 or 72" MMM is just too bulky to deal with.
I'm opening to hearing feedback on that choice of implement, but the B2601 is either 54 or 60, so shouldn't it be "comparable annoyance?"

(FYI, the mowing application is about ~.8 acre of mostly cleared front/back yard.)

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
This may help as well. Notice this is on a B, not a B50 or LX.

Installing it on a B2650 no cab. A rear finish mower with a quick hitch is much easier imo. But if you dont need to take it off very often that might be easier.

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
The LX has a heavier front axle, the mower on a LX is a ground contact vs suspended on the B, the LX uses a different HST unit and a parking brake light which is nice. The LX I had would jump of jerk when trying to creep, so I would drive one before buying.

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
My LX2610 never jerks or has any issues with the transmission. I crawl while doing a lot of things.
Individual results may vary.

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
Yes , results vary, but many people have had the problem so that is why I suggest driving it before buying. Mine was not a problem till it got colder.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I've had absolutely no issue with the transmission in my LX. Perhaps in high range (which I rarely use) it's noticeably 'jerky', but if I'm trying to creep or make fine movements, I'm in Low range anyway. I use mid-range for pulling the trailer around in the yard, but most of the time, it's in low range for creeping. It is a heavy machine, and unless you've got a golf course for grass, it shouldn't be problem. I've got the SU model, which does not have the mid-PTO option. But it does have the [loaded] oversize tires, which is an additional 4 inches or so of ground clearance and nearly 1500 pounds of extra weight which is what I wanted for the possibility of putting a backhoe on it. If I were going to have a problem with jerking from the transmission, the larger diameter wheels/tires would aggravate it some, but perhaps the inertia of the loading in the tires smoots it out some. As for standing up to reverse, umm, that ain't gonna work. Move the treadle the tiniest bit with your butt anywhere but on the seat, you just shut your tractor off. I find mine to be very smooth. Very impressive machine. I'm not a real big guy (6'1", 180 lbs) and have small feet (Size 9) so I can get up and walk around on the operating platform of my LX. It's got a lotta room up there. The standard seat is pretty much the same as the Deluxe seat, except no arm rests. Very comfy. I can reach the toplink to adjust it if need be without getting off the tractor, too.

The only advice I have about the box blade is make sure it's wider than the back wheels/tires on whatever you get. The LX is going to require at least a 60 inch blade. If you're only going to be moving light materials with it, then the 60" bucket is a must for the extra volume. If you're going to be abusing the bucket some, then the 54" HD bucket might be the better selection. IIRC, the B uses the LA534 loader, and the LX uses the LA535. There's only 1 KG (2.2 lbs) of capacity difference. Negligible, I'd say. I THINK the LX has a slightly more capable 3-point lift. Are you getting anything really heavy? Doesn't seem so. That's a vote for the B. Unless you're a big guy, then that's a vote for the LX.

If all you have is .8 acre to cut, either an LX or B will be sorta like killing a housefly with a 20 lb sledgehammer. You may get the fly, but you're gonna make a mess doing it. The horsepower range is about right (19HP at the PTO), but there's way too much machine for the job. I think you're going to find a tractor that size too rough on grass, especially trying to make sharp turns, which is part of the procedures for efficient grass cutting. If you don't have any rough or muddy places, 4WD will be a waste of money because you don't need/want to use it if the tractor isn't burying itself or slipping and sliding. It will chew up the yard, even with turfies on it. To do the pushing/loading/blowing work, you're going to want some serious weight, and loading the tires will do a lot of that for you. I wouldn't advise the turf tires at all if you want to do loader work with it. If you have loaded tires, then you just added damage to your grass, especially if you need to turn sharply. Don't get me wrong, because I'm all about 20 lb sledgehammer fly swatting. I just don't like tearing up something that I've already had to do that to, i.e. the grass I've been trying to cultivate for 17 years. My yard ain't a golf course, I'm just trying to stop the erosion because the previous owners never picked up a leaf in the yard. To that end, I find a much lighter riding mower to be the better solution for the grass/leaf management. I got my LX for the digging and pushing strength in places where there isn't much grass and I'm trying to change that. I'm recovering nearly 3 acres that has been left feral for nearly 50 years. A riding mower for that is useless, and I'm getting too old to do everything the hard way. For that purpose I'm considering a 3-point flail mower that I can destroy stuff that would destroy my Husqvarna rider. I will eventually not need the LX, but on the other hand, I'm in no great big hurry to clear the lot. It's a hobby and the primary purpose is to make it less likely to find a rattlesnake waiting for me in one of the stump holes back there.

I don't want to talk you out of a tractor purchase, because having one has been sheer pleasure. They're great for heavy yard work, and you might even be able to pick up some paid work if you have the other attachments/implements and help pay for your investment. I'm just trying to give you some anecdotal information that is based on my experience with the LX2610SU, versus a riding mower for cutting grass. I already had the rider, and the LX purchase was for the parts of my yard where the rider is useless. I'm not trying to turn it into a golf course but I want to cover it with indigenous flowering bushes and things that will grow under the large trees and make it worth a lot more with some eye candy. What I do with the rider is the parts of the yard where the LX, while not useless, would be too much overkill. I like the smaller 46" deck on my rider because I don't have to worry about hanging it up on things and breaking it. I can scoot around stuff because the turning radius is VERY close to zero, and I also have a lot less clean-up work with the weed eater in the finished part of my yard. I'm cutting nearly 50% more grass than you, and I can do it in 2 hours with the bagger off, 4 with it on. A bagger for the rider is around $500. One for a MMM, about 6X that. I've toyed with finish mower ideas and asked some of the same questions you did. One thing I like about OTT, is if you want a candid opinion (as long as it isn't politics), you'll get a candid answer.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I find my B2601 very comfortable to operate. Your size may influence this. I am 5-9. An LX should be more spacious. Larger tractors tend to have bigger seating areas.