Implement width

G-Man

Equipment
B7500, ZD221
Jul 27, 2012
Excelsior, AR
Hi I am new to this whole tractor world after moving from the big city. I just picked up a 2000 B7500 with a LA272 FEL, Rhino SE4 (48") rotary mower and a 48" box blade and love the this tractor. OTT was my first website to join and get lots of info.
The B7500 is rated at 21HP / 16HT PTO (I think).

I have two questions.

1) Should the best width implements to stick with is 48" or are 60" too much for this tractor? I am looking at the King Kutter TG-48 3 PT tiller.

2) My second question is I am thinking the old blades on the Rhino are so worn out that it is causing some good vibration. I have just picked a new set of blades and hope this will fix the vibration issue.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to all the good advice from here

Gene & Jean
Greenwood, AR

Last edited:

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Welcome. 60" is Too much for a tiller on your tractor. I use a 60" rear tiller on a grand L and it is pushing the limit somewhat. A 48 will work nicely. I have the king Kutter gear drive tiller and it is a great machine for the money.
Some vibration in mowers is common but shouldn't be severe. Hopefully just blades, make sure they swing freely. If a blade sticks in anything other than straight out it will vibrate like crazy. My rough cut mower vibrates when it is raised off the tail wheel or not cutting anything but isn't bad when actually engaged in cutting. Check for bent spindle or power shaft and check bearings on spindle. Obviously check your gear lube also.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
x2 on the 48" tiller. You need to determine what is normal vibration for a bush hog, and what isn't. It will make it a little easier to determine whether you have an issue or not. I would install the new blades, make sure they swing freely, and test it. Do you have any friends who are tractor savy? Let them observe it, and council you on whether you need to explore further, or if all is normal. Two heads are better than one, at least until you become more experienced. Best wishes to you, and welcome to OTT! This is a great group of people.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Some bushhogs rotate their blades one way, some another, all regardless of PTO. Check at a large supplier and you can find hundreds of blade types. If not careful you can get a blade just like yours with same hole, angles, wings, length, width, but with the cutting edge on the wrong side.

If you have doubts for any reason (previous owner or other well-intended party) contact manufacturer for part number and diagram of what your blade SHOULD look like and compare.

I've seen blades mounted upside down, backwards, too short, trimmed with torch, sharpened incorrectly, attached with plain bolts not keyed, 'correct' but cutting edge backwards for rotation. Have become very suspicious of bargain brushhogs.

Believe it or not blades bend fairly easily and last year managed to break one. That was exciting for a few seconds. Blade life depends on use. When you have them off to sharpen compare one to another or to a new set that you keep on hand for spares and you'll see deformation over time.

Depending on intended use and your machine I suggest a disk-type stump-jumper instead of a bar for mounting blades. Get a bar-type wrapped up around a sapling and it'll turn the tractor sideways in a heartbeat--or stall or break something.

Get proper wrench for nut and remove blades annually or as needed to put in vise and sharpen with hand-grinder. Use new lockwashers each time. Watch the key on the bolt for wear. Thread sealant on bolt will allow easier future removal.

Check gearbox frequently while new until seals wear-in and top off with mfg's suggested gear oil type.

May I add an aspect regarding shear pins?

If yours has the grooved swedge-type pin get that thing out of there before it shears. It'll be a hard fight to get that inner sheared segment out of the inner rotating portion of the driveline or U-joint collar. Honest, if you have to remove a sheared swedged pin in the dark...

I have come to dislike the choose-a-length shear pins that have ten different cotter key holes because I think they shear too easily.

Here's what we use: two choices depending how you want to live life. Be aware that some driveline shear-pin holes are apparently metric or oddly sized so you may need to experiment to find the fit you desire.

(1) Use the correct size slip-fit or lightly hammered 'pin' but use a "no-grade" (Grade 2, no markings on head) bolt with the length selected such that the nut when tight shoulders up to the shank of the bolt leaving no threads to ride inside the hole thereby preventing thread-caused burrs around the hole. Use self-locking NyLock nuts. Flat washers optional but I don't like leaving scrap metal slung all around the place. When you buy a handful of the correct length bolts take a hand-grinder and make a couple of passes down the shank creating one long flat spot along the shank. I do this to better see where the pin actually is as I rotate the shaft to get holes in alignment and also to get a lube down along the sheared pin before drifting it out.

(2) Go one size smaller bolt (example: 7/16" instead of 1/2" 'pin') same as above and stay with Grade 2 head markings. The slight difference in diameter compares favorably to yield approximately the same shear requirement and makes it oh so much easier to replace the bolt. I can't recommend it but have tried one-size smaller bolt using a Grade 5 bolt and honestly can't tell much difference.

Stock a few of the correct size shear pins for future use.

Never use Grade-8 / SAE / other hardened bolts as you need the ability to shear when overloaded in order to protect both machines.

We use a 6-footer to clean up around fence-rows after haying, on pond dams, and to keep brush down through some rough goat-like pasture along tree-lines and manage to shear a pin probably two or three times a year by being fairly careful. But it doesn't take but one 'new' frost heave rock or clump of something when set too low to cost you a pin. Be prepared.

G-Man

Equipment
B7500, ZD221
Jul 27, 2012
Excelsior, AR
Wow thanks for all the great info here. I will get the 48" King Kutter tiller. I can get them here at Atwoods tax exempt.
I did last night replace with brand new factory blades and much better. Still a small amount of vibration but that is probably normal for 10+ year old mower. The old blade where so worn and weighted them and what a difference in weight. Did a test cut and all good.

Thanks again and hope to start adding input when I become and expert or close to one. LOL

Gene & Jean