Implement storage is getting to be a real problem!

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Some inside and outside. Not showing is the grapple, broadcast spreader, blower and mower deck.

I'm looking at some heavy duty shelving to put the smaller things in the garage and the rest in a 12x16 building.

The plow was my grandfather's and I have his 1949 McCormick Deering W4 that goes with it.

20210509_153923.jpg 20210509_153928.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

sardillim

Equipment
b2650
Nov 24, 2019
Easton
Not complaining, just making an observation. I have a lot of implements now and storage is a real challenge. In a perfect world I wouldn't have to move one or two implements in order to gain access to another. A large, flat, covered area is on my wish list. I think a lean-to along one or both sides of a barn would be a good way to keep implements out of the weather and accessible so hopefully some members here will post photos showing how they solve the issue of implement storage and accessibility.
yup same situation here too

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
What I'm doing is utilize the side and end of my open carport to store the implements. That way they are level, I can back right up to any one of them, and with the overhangs they're mostly protected. I have to move a couple more things along with some firewood then I can turn the flail and aerator around to face out the back, along with the rear blade. The grapple, landscape rake, 48" and 66" buckets face out the side

Nice idea. Would you consider adding a lean-to or short extension that matches the house to provide more shelter for the implements?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Some inside and outside. Not showing is the grapple, broadcast spreader, blower and mower deck.

I'm looking at some heavy duty shelving to put the smaller things in the garage and the rest in a 12x16 building.

The plow was my grandfather's and I have his 1949 McCormick Deering W4 that goes with it.

View attachment 59594 View attachment 59595
You're way ahead of me with the nice flat area in front of the implements. Even that would be an upgrade for me.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
What I'm doing is utilize the side and end of my open carport to store the implements. That way they are level, I can back right up to any one of them, and with the overhangs they're mostly protected. I have to move a couple more things along with some firewood then I can turn the flail and aerator around to face out the back, along with the rear blade. The grapple, landscape rake, 48" and 66" buckets face out the side
With my SSQA abilites I would definitely need to move the car far away before grabbing or dropping an implement. Is this something that comes with practice? I don't see anybody else chasing their bucket around the yard trying to hook up.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I just solved a major part of my implement storage problem .... I sold the BX and all of the implements with the exception of the 55 gallon sprayer! I've been on the fence about selling it but it's a good and fair offer and there are only two functions that the BX has that I can't currently do with the MX. One is to blow snow and the other is to dig a hole or trench with the backhoe. Basically everything else is better handled with the MX, and frankly my property isn't BX friendly which has become increasingly apparent every time I hop on the BX.

It's been good for five years but now it's time admit that I can put the money towards others things and the MX is so much more capable. I still need to figure out storage for the MX implements which might include a rear mounted snow blower but maybe I can manage with the hydraulic angle snow blade and don't need a blower. Time will tell.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
I'm "getting there" with acquisitions.

I built a heavy duty "dolly" on casters for the blower as I didn't want that outside all summer. It sits nicely in the garage, The box blade spends most of the time on the 3pt for use and ballast and the rear blade and pallet forks are along the woodline.

A large utility garage with a smooth wood floor in in the plans.......

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I also have this problem. Plan was to build a large shed / small garage at the end of last year but lumber prices decided to go insane. Right now I have everything but the plow in the attached garage but my wife lost her parking spot and she is none to pleased about it (especially in the winter). Looking forward to additional suggestions on how to remedy this. I like Wolfman's shipping container idea but I would need to bulldoze my backyard to get it back far enough where the neighbors wouldn't complain. Right now there is a a small hill going up followed by a large hill going down 75-100' to a creek at the rear of my property.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I also have this problem. Plan was to build a large shed / small garage at the end of last year but lumber prices decided to go insane. Right now I have everything but the plow in the attached garage but my wife lost her parking spot and she is none to pleased about it (especially in the winter). Looking forward to additional suggestions on how to remedy this. I like Wolfman's shipping container idea but I would need to bulldoze my backyard to get it back far enough where the neighbors wouldn't complain. Right now there is a a small hill going up followed by a large hill going down 75-100' to the rear of my property.
The mid mount mower is currently outside but covered by a large heavy duty plastic sled that I bought a few years ago to drag firewood from the barn to the house when there's snow on the ground. It keeps it out of the sun and rain.

The problem with using a building a barn or shed for implements is storage efficiency. That 40' container is similar to a lean-to along the length of a barn or shed and way more expensive.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
The lumber prices have certainly put the "hold" on a lot of projects. I have my basement being finished off now and I'm glad 2x4's are among the cheapest things still.......but my garage plans will have to wait.

For now the tractor is under a truck cover on the side of the garage with the box blade on it.....2 implements outside and the blower in the garage. It is what it is.

Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
We have some land up in North Georgia, and we decided to provide a shed over our RV site (concrete pad, county water, electric and septic system). Additionally, we purchased our Kubota to reclaim/maintain the land/driveway, and we bought a shed to protect the Kubota and implements. The RV shed is 24 x 30 feet, and the tractor shed is 30 x30 feet. Both have: 12 foot legs, the best roof rated for wind (well over 100 mph) and beefier legs. The RV shed was about $5K and the tractor shed was about $6K (for everything including tax). I dug out/leveled the tractor shed site with our Kubota, and then I spread crusher gravel (several inches) for the floor. The tractor shed size also allows us to bring our boat up from Savannah.

For the money, I do not think that you will find a better choice. You can have walls and roll up doors for a higher price, but we wanted everything to be open. The crew installed both sheds in one day; I only had to provide level sites for the installation. Your local vendor will have pricing that is close to this website; the website is a good planning tool. Use the 3D planner tabs; they give you pricing as you build.

Our site.

RV site with Lance and Kubota.jpg

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Nice idea. Would you consider adding a lean-to or short extension that matches the house to provide more shelter for the implements?
Maybe. I did increase the shop carport size (prior to construction) from 12' x 28' to 18' x 28' to give what I thought would be plenty of room for the attachments. I think it will once I move the remaining things out such as two kayaks, wood, lumber, bed extender, and some junk. Also the 18' canoe on the wall side will be suspended. This will allow the car to be closer to the wall then the implements can move a couple more feet in. So moving them inward from the edge, along with the 2' overhangs should keep them out of all but maybe strong blowing rain.
The property has a trailer (as in a tractor trailer w/o the truck) from the previous owner that's parked in the woods. The PO used it to store his tractor along with rotary cutter and rear blade. He took the tractor with him but left the rotary cutter and it's still in that trailer. But it's a pain to have to move one implement to get to another plus the trailer is beginning to fall apart which is why I enlarged the carport for them.

With my SSQA abilites I would definitely need to move the car far away before grabbing or dropping an implement. Is this something that comes with practice? I don't see anybody else chasing their bucket around the yard trying to hook up.
To be honest I never thought about that? I do creep up in low range, and the quick attach makes hooking rear attachments a breeze.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
fork liftable trays + storage rack(s)

stump grinder
PTO blower
flail mower
tiller
grapple
Forks
snow blower

anything with a gear box inside. Landscape rake, box blade outside.
What make is your flail mower and why did you choose it over other implements such as a rotary cutter? I don't know much about them but watched a Messick's video today and it seems like they're ideal for cutting grass over rough ground, and with the hydraulic offset feature that some have they're excellent for cutting grass on banks and such.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I had a land pride rotary cutter, I found when I transitioned from cutting brush to thick overgrown grass, it did a horrible job in the grass. This flail has hammer blades, it cuts 2.5" diameter brush, and it does a much better job in grass than the rotary did. Only had it two years, so it's still earning my trust, but I'm happy so far. It stores / transports with a smaller footprint than a rotary. It's a chinesium EFGC125 from "Betstco". The drum is belt driven from its gearbox.

I still think a rotary cutter has a place for really thick overgrown brush, durability and simplicity.

Last edited:

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380 FEL Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
I'm faced with two possible solutions.

• Two 20' containers side by side with a 3' gap between them and a lean-to the length of both sides for implement storage. This would require a flat area with sufficient length and width.
  • Two 20' containers end to end with a lean-to down one side or both sides. This would require a flat area with less width but more length than the above arrangement.
The second option makes more sense with my plan for a new 30'x60' steel framed barn but would still require me to move the barn a little. Also, I don't think I have enough space for a 40' lean-to along both sides, maybe 40' on one side and 20' on the other closest to the bank.
I was just checking container prices out west 50% increase from when I bought two 20's in 2019 cheaper through brokerage seller(site unseen take what you get water tight, one year leak warranty. This is the result of a World pandemic everyone needs holding space. I stacked mind with top one with patio door and 40" porch( I'd call it a deck but it's narrow) over looking field and woods.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The second option makes more sense with my plan for a new 30'x60' steel framed barn but would still require me to move the barn a little. Also, I don't think I have enough space for a 40' lean-to along both sides, maybe 40' on one side and 20' on the other closest to the bank.
Go 40x60 with minimum 16 feet to the eaves. get pallet racks and a forklift

tshields

Equipment
B26 TLB, Box Blade, Tree Puller, Grapple, PTO Wood Chipper, Auger
Apr 26, 2021
Lampe, MO
I put most of my implements on pallets and store them on industrial shelving units, I plan on making a dolly for the backhoe, box blade, and wood chipper.
Tractors.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I put most of my implements on pallets and store them on industrial shelving units, I plan on making a dolly for the backhoe, box blade, and wood chipper.
Very nice setup you have there. Anything that I swap on/off the rear a lot needs to be on the ground. FEL implements could be 4 feet off the ground but that's as high as I'd want to go.

tshields

Equipment
B26 TLB, Box Blade, Tree Puller, Grapple, PTO Wood Chipper, Auger
Apr 26, 2021
Lampe, MO
Very nice setup you have there. Anything that I swap on/off the rear a lot needs to be on the ground. FEL implements could be 4 feet off the ground but that's as high as I'd want to go.
Thanks! Most of my 3 point implements are on the ground and will end up on dollies. My auger is on a pallet and on the second shelf because I don't use it very often. My FEL implements are on the first shelf and I will be taking them off of the pallets because I just hook them up and unhook right on the shelf. It is nice to get things up off of the floor.