Implement Sizing

erda

Equipment
LX3310HSDCC
Aug 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
So, I've had my B2601 for a couple of weeks now and am looking to add some implements and attachments. The question/concern I have is the difference between the recommendations in the manual and what the dealer is recommending.

For a box blade, the manual says a 54" and the dealer says go 60"; for a rear blade the manual says 60" and the dealer says go 72". Similar discrepancies for other attachments like the snowblower.

What to do?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
54" box blade is usually a special order and an extremely rare find used. you'll have a better variety and selection depending on your budget by going with a 60".

Usually a good rule of thumb for a back blade is angle it at a 45° and still cover the width of the tires. 72" may be a bit wide but once it's angled the profile shrinks drastically. I have a 5 footer for my l1501 which has a 54" width on the back tires. A 22° angle will still cover the width of the tires barely. A 45° angle is narrower then the tires. You can always adjust how much material your dragging by raising and lowering the three point hitch to take some of the weight off the blade.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I could be wrong ,,,again,,lol,,, but as I recall someone telling me a good rule of thumb is 1 foot of pull behind equipment for every 5 hp of the tractor, so based on that 26 hp =5 feet or 60 inch. Some guys go bigger and have no problems

erda

Equipment
LX3310HSDCC
Aug 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
54" box blade is usually a special order and an extremely rare find used. you'll have a better variety and selection depending on your budget by going with a 60
Local dealer doesn't have either in stock, so it would be a 10 day wait to get them in. No used ones around. I'll check other dealers in the area, but some of them are renowned for a "bait and switch" style of advertising or quoting prices.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I feel it depends largely on implement and intended use. Bush Hog IMO, 1 foot per 4 hp at PTO, not crank. York rake isnt gonna stress much, I have a 60". I wouldnt run larger than a 54-60" box blade on my machine. Dealer usually recommends whatever costs more, in my experience. Back blade Id run 60-72" depending on intended purpose for my 2300lb machine.