Ideas for building 3-pt ballast/carry all

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I have been contemplating filling a 55-gallon drum with cement and whatever scrap metal I have on hand and calling it good. I'm not sure how often I would need the weight when I wouldn't already have an implement on the rear, and the ability to hang extra weights off of my box-blade and/or off of the front if I don't have the loader on might be a plus.

I have about 350-400 pounds of lead window weights and another 180 pounds of rusty worn out tire chains. Lumping them into 50 # chunks so I could easily lift them on and off and fabricating a bracket to hang these bundles off of the BB or the grill guard seems like it might be worth a shot. (Basically make them into poor man's suitcase weights?). I'm an abysmal welder, but this might be a good chance to learn/improve (realize I can't weld lead, but maybe make some boxes and or use some of the brake drums/rotors/bent steel rims scattered around the place):
annotatedWeights.jpg

I've never had a tractor where the loader came off (easily), so I don't even know if I'd want to hang them off the front. If I'm moving dirt/gravel there's normally a blade on the back. I don't know how much I'd use a "carry all" and like the looks/expense/effort/durability of the wooden ones I've seen in videos but the ability to put some weight low and close to the tractor would be a plus. I don't really know how much weight I need, but if I have a combination of cement and steel I'd rather have the steel lower (but easy to take on and off?

OK, let's hear some design ideas!

Thanks,

Bob

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Look at the existing ballast box designs what I don’t like about most of them is that they don’t have removable pins. I think that would be very helpful if you don’t have a quickhitch.

In your design, think about how stable it will be off the tractor and the type of connection. I find the implements that use a removable pin to be easier to connect/disconnect. I find it easier to drive a pin out than taking moving the lower links out.

Reactions: 1 user

Baymee

Equipment
Kubota 1870 Wheelhorse 312A John Deere 316 John Deere LT155
Aug 23, 2021
Lehigh Vally, PA
I’ve been checking out u tube videos on making a ballast.

I’d like to hear more about removable pin vs. moving the lower links in and out. Can someone offer a more detailed explanation of this or point me to an existing link?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've used a homemade 'carryall' for 2+ decades. The ballast box is a skid with sides, weight inside. When ballast is needed, simply backup to 'ballast skid' ,lift and go..... when done, just drop it off.
NO messing with 3PH pins,arms,etc. SIMPLE 10 seconds on or off of the b-box. Also removing the 'carryall' is easy as it's lightweight, maybe 30-40 seconds....
On the other hand a 200-400# 3PH ballast box WILL be a bear to get on/off unless you've got a huge concrete pad !

Baymee

Equipment
Aug 23, 2021
Lehigh Vally, PA
I've used a homemade 'carryall' for 2+ decades. The ballast box is a skid with sides, weight inside. When ballast is needed, simply backup to 'ballast skid' ,lift and go..... when done, just drop it off.
NO messing with 3PH pins,arms,etc. SIMPLE 10 seconds on or off of the b-box. Also removing the 'carryall' is easy as it's lightweight, maybe 30-40 seconds....
On the other hand a 200-400# 3PH ballast box WILL be a bear to get on/off unless you've got a huge concrete pad !
Can you show a picture of this. What do you lift it with?

Baymee

Equipment
Aug 23, 2021
Lehigh Vally, PA
Another question is how much weight is needed as ballast for a front end loader? If the loader is rated to lift approx. 500 lbs, how much ballast is more than enough on the back?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I haven't had great success in the woods with using an implement (box blade or back blade) as ballast. I find I'm really good at finding obstacles when turning :(
I took a standard ballast box you can find on ebay, filled it with concrete and a lifting lug. Its about 700lbs, doesn't hang off the back very far and easy to pick up with a top n tilt no matter where I drop it.
For me it's just fine.
1st fitting in box.JPG

ballast_box_under_deck.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I’ve been checking out u tube videos on making a ballast.

I’d like to hear more about removable pin vs. moving the lower links in and out. Can someone offer a more detailed explanation of this or point me to an existing link?

Here is a picture of an older snowblower that I was thinking of stealing the mounting brackets off of.

removablePinMountOnSnowBlower.jpg

This one works for Cat I or II. The pin has a shoulder so the inside slot is Cat I (spread and diameter) while the outside is Cat II.

Another question is how much weight is needed as ballast for a front end loader? If the loader is rated to lift approx. 500 lbs, how much ballast is more than enough on the back?
Very good question (and I'm listening for the correct answer). In the past I wanted most of the weight on the rear wheels but I didn't have front wheel assist on those tractors. Once I figure out how much of the weight I want on front vs back I figured I'd treat the tractor like a see-saw rocking on the rear wheels and figure out how far the loader bucket is in front vs how far the three point is in back. I think my loader can lift 1800 # and that's a lot further in front of the rear wheels than the 3-pt is behind. I was thinking at least 1000-1500 # with the ability to add and remove my 5-600# of cast & chains.

Again, I'm just taking a WAG at this for now so anybody with knowledge please chime in. Unfortunately my owners manual just says to use "enough" and isn't very helpful.

Baymee

Equipment
Aug 23, 2021
Lehigh Vally, PA
How do you pick up this carryall? Can you show some pics?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Here's the original one I made 2 decades ago for my Allis-Chalmers D-14 to replace the front loader/trip bucket. Forklift forks just hang on the top bar,in the notches,straps hold the btms from moving. It'll carry a 3,000# log no problem. To haul 'skids of stuff'....simply lower to ground, backup to skid, raise skid and go.....
Several mfrs sell '3PH carryalls', none for the Snap-Coupler system though so I spent couple hours to make this. The 2" rcvr eliminates the drawbar,easy to pull ANY trailer,here,there,anywhere.....

Attachments

Baymee

Equipment
Aug 23, 2021
Lehigh Vally, PA
Ok now i understand how you pick up a skid. Is the top rail made of two pcs of 1/4" steel bar? And the tubing is standard wall thickness?

So you hook this to the 3 pt hitch and add the forks

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
L5740 / LA854 loader specs

Rear lift (at ends): 3,860 lbs 1750 kg
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm): 2,980 lbs 1351 kg

FEL
Lift to full height (at pin):[2,489 lbs 1129 kg
Lift to full height (at 500mm): 1,878 lbs 851 kg

Guessing 200-2400# ballast should be a good starting point. Owners manual should tell you how much ballast (wheel weights, loaded tires, 3pt)

Something this heavy, you really need a QH and a parking stand
20200705_134456.jpg

20200705_134538.jpg

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Guessing 200-2400# ballast should be a good starting point. Owners manual should tell you how much ballast (wheel weights, loaded tires, 3pt)
I assume you're saying 2000-2400# (I first read it as 200-400 and almost skipped over the rest of your reply.)

Unfortunately the owner's manual is rather vague:

"Add weight to the rear wheels if needed to improve traction or for stability. The amount of rear ballast should be matched to job and the ballast should be removed when it is not needed"

The separate manual for the loader states:

"For tractor stability and operator's safety, rear ballast should be added to the rear of the tractor in the form of 3-point counter weight and rear wheel ballast. The amount of rear ballast will depend on the application"

and later:

"When mounting a heavy rear implement, liquid in the tires may not be required"

So, I guess I'm left with a calculation such as you've done above.

Something this heavy, you really need a QH and a parking stand
That's what my dad says also, but I'm not seeing needing a quick hitch. I have several implements that I can't budge by hand and hitching up to them with the Kubota is soooo much easier than with my JD 3020. Of course, the telescoping lower links on that had siezed long before I got it. The ends of the lower links could not come any closer together than when an implement was installed (without unbolting the sway blocks) so positioning the tractor was very critical, with many aborted back-up attempts. If I can hitch up to my IH-80 snowblower I can hook up to a ballast box. All of my implements sit about 5 inches farther back on this tractor and I'm in serious danger of needing all new PTO shafts if I add a quick hitch.

Edit to add: Thanks for the advice. If my tone above is harsh it is not on purpose!

Last edited:

Baymee

Equipment
Aug 23, 2021
Lehigh Vally, PA
I worked in industry where I had to learn how to maintain/repair 250 pieces of machinery. I’m feeling like we just got a bunch of new equipment.

My brain is swimming right now with all the things I have to know right now because I never had a 3PH or implements before. I’m trying to buy the right stuff the first time around.

My main needs are building a ballast that I can easily back up to and hook up, whether it uses forks or a quick hitch and whether to fill my front tires with liquid when using a front end loader and chains on the rear tires. By the way, the square tubing used on purchased 3PH carryalls is welded to the framework and extends back a little too far for my comfort. I’d like to know how many welds fail when trying to pick up a 600 lb ballast. The fork idea that Jay built, seems much better.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
..... whether to fill my front tires with liquid when using a front end loader ...
I know some people fill them, and I have no experience either way but when I was flipping through the manuals for my post last night it warned to never put liquid in the front tires of the 5740. No idea if that's lawyer talk or real advice. I could see it being harder on the front end.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
here's a 3ph unit from TSC...
looks reasonable for the price ($170) and carrys 1000#.
If the forks are too long, cut them off..One trick is to use all the same sized skids. I use 40x48. Had 120 dropped off 20 year ago.store tuff on a skid, then place it onto another skid. that way btm one rots out but top one is perfect.Also seems easier to 'acquire' the skid (maybe that's a bifocal thing ??).
I hate CaCl filled tires,replaced 6 of them(12x26)...ain't fun the 1st time or the 6th !! No need to filled fronts,though I do add barbell weights as needed for hauling heavy logs or skids of pavers.

Baymee

Equipment
Aug 23, 2021
Lehigh Vally, PA
When I picked up my tractor, I saw they had a Quick Hitch for sale (last one) and I figured, what the heck, so now I can create an easy to pick up ballast.

I want to have something to tow a trailer, but I don’t really have plans to use the back end stuff except to tow and ballast.

Let’s say I used forks to pallet stuff around, which my become a reality, doesn’t the front end get pretty light? Can you carry 1000# and still control the front end?

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
1000# is real easy ,2000# steering gets lil light, 3000# no steering..(well rear brakes only......
it all depends on what tractor and weight on the rear end. you'll learn as you go...
I can put 200# up front to balance 3200# on the rear, good enough to drive on the paved roads,should be a bit more but I KNOW wherre the 4 ,50# weights are..other two went 'walkabout'.....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
When I picked up my tractor, I saw they had a Quick Hitch for sale (last one) and I figured, what the heck, so now I can create an easy to pick up ballast.
Good choice, right there! :)