ID this tiller; and what's it worth?

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I am very casually looking for a tiller for the rear of my BX2380 with quick hitch. (QH10) and saw this a mile down the road from me.
Looks pretty old and beat up but I don't know the first thing about it. I didn't talk with the owner.

( I'll try to upload some pix and put commentary about them after the upload succeeds. (if it does)

I'd like to know....it's is CAT 1? (I didn't have a tape with me to measure--it could be roughly 4' wide, if that)
Will my BX2380 spin it?
What make/model is it?
Anything at all, including what you think it's worth.
I am in Eastern Canada, where prices are not quite as low as in the good ol' US of A

Looks like it says "Bondioli & Paves (Pavesi?) on the PTO shaft and on the "emblem" looks like a wheat grain (??) and the word "MODENA?" maybe?

Attachments

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Maletti Modena?

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Looks like cat 1 to me. measure the pins to make sure. Cat one lower pins are 7/8, top link is 3/4. If the oil in the gear box looks good, and no leaks around the main shaft and no other obvious faults, then for 475, it's should be a good deal.

Reactions: 2 users

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
This is the company that built your tiller:

Reactions: 1 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
If that was a mile down the road from me, it would have been coming home so long as it checked out. Haven't seen a decent 4-5 foot Tiller (that's close) for much under $1k.

Reactions: 4 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If that was a mile down the road from me, it would have been coming home so long as it checked out. Haven't seen a decent 4-5 foot Tiller (that's close) for much under $1k.
Just in general, a mini walk behind cultivator new is anywhere from 300-500$. Step up to the biggest walk behind with a Honda engine, depending on the brand then you are anywhere from 3500-4800ish….a LP is goin got be 2500-3000. So I think for 500, if it works it’s a steal. Might as well plan on a new PTO shaft, but compared to new, 500 + PTO shaft is pretty cheap if it works. Change the oil, grease it and give it a try.

Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
My worry is getting parts. From the limited research I've done, it APPEARS to have been made in Italy in the 60's or 70's.

I'll let you all know. My wife has threatened to run me over with the tractor if I buy it ;-)

(It just looks like a POS to me)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I sold my 20+ year old 54” Woods brand tiller to my neighbor this past spring for $500. But he is a good friend and a helpful neighbor.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Assuming in good working order, then You are a great neighbor and I hope yours appreciates the price. At least in Midwest that would be a better than awesome (undervalued) price in good working order. 👍

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Assuming in good working order, then You are a great neighbor and I hope yours appreciates the price. At least in Midwest that would be a better than awesome (undervalued) price in good working order. 👍
It worked fine, and he and I both used it for years. When I bought my MX it was too small for my tractor, so I let him take it cheap. They watch our place and take care of animals when we travel, so we appreciate that.

Reactions: 3 users

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
My worry is getting parts. From the limited research I've done, it APPEARS to have been made in Italy in the 60's or 70's.

I'll let you all know. My wife has threatened to run me over with the tractor if I buy it ;-)

It's a long way from new, but it's not all beat to death either, just honest wear. I remember those or something very similar being sold in the 90's.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
If I needed a tiller and it was anywhere near me, I'd buy that in a heart beat.
I agree.
Why is this stuff always on the other side of the planet from me? :cry:;)

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
See my message on the company above: it was EFFECTIVELY made in Italy. And yes, that was many years ago... Alas, the company has moved on from agricultural equipment to hydraulics etc. (happens often in Italy: Lamborghini, Ducati, Laverda,...), though also for the agricultural sector.

You could write them and ask about spares: I have excellent experiences with customer service of Italian companies in very diverse sectors (light fixtures, agricultural equipment, pneumatic seats, kitchen stoves, super cars, model trains), and wouldn't be surprised if they came up with the name of a supplier who still has a bunch of parts in store.

Looks like a POS? Italian agricultural equipment is top; a little bit of paint on that rusted steel will work wonders...

if it checks out, don't hesitate!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Hide the keys, BUY the tiller , TODAY !!! IF it's still there.....
Once home, start stockpiling 'compost' materials for HER veggie garden next year.
THEN she will thank you,big time.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am very casually looking for a tiller for the rear of my BX2380 with quick hitch. (QH10) and saw this a mile down the road from me.
Looks pretty old and beat up but I don't know the first thing about it. I didn't talk with the owner.

( I'll try to upload some pix and put commentary about them after the upload succeeds. (if it does)

I'd like to know....it's is CAT 1? (I didn't have a tape with me to measure--it could be roughly 4' wide, if that)
Will my BX2380 spin it?
What make/model is it?
Anything at all, including what you think it's worth.
I am in Eastern Canada, where prices are not quite as low as in the good ol' US of A

Looks like it says "Bondioli & Paves (Pavesi?) on the PTO shaft and on the "emblem" looks like a wheat grain (??) and the word "MODENA?" maybe?
Beware of rocks, and the potential for needing to replace those tiller tines, when you break a few of them.
I had a place in Eastern Canada (Nova Scotia), and it was saturated with rocks.
If you are not absolutely certain that you can buy replacement tines,.... I would pass!

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Beware of rocks, and the potential for needing to replace those tiller tines, when you break a few of them.
I had a place in Eastern Canada (Nova Scotia), and it was saturated with rocks.
If you are not absolutely certain that you can buy replacement tines,.... I would pass!
I appreciate all the great comments but I am afraid I am going to pass. (not because of the wife)
Our land here is EXTREMELY rocky. Beyond anything the majority of you own, I am pretty sure.

I'll be 30seconds in and it'll get jammed up with a rock or I'll break a tine.

I have a manual, walk behind older tiller (I forget the brand) and this happens regularly.

I don't want to try to source ancient gears, tines and whatnot on a 50-60yr old tiller. Sometimes a deal is not really a deal once you have to fix stuff. It's not like it's an older Kubota, IH, Deere, Ford, Massey <insert other farm brands here> or whatnot where I bet the aftermarket is still going strong.

I am not scared to get my hands dirty, but sourcing that stuff (then paying for it, to get to Canada) is likely to be a nightmare for me and my wallet.

p.s.- I live in farm country and the tiller has been there a week+ with dozens if not hundreds of farmers and weekend warriors that own a tiny tractor (like me) having seen it and the price has not gone down, nor has it sold.