I seem to have Frankenstein's tractor

DrankTheOrangeKoolaid

Equipment
M6800/M920, Case 780B
Sep 24, 2019
Alberta
My battle with the hydraulics on my M6800 continue...

Going through the parts catalogue I find that there is an old and new style of the transmission case and rear cover. The most obvious difference between the two is the location of the dip stick. The old style has the dip stick at the front of the transmission (sticks up just in front of the seat) and the new style has the dip stick at the back of the tractor close to where the PTO shaft comes out. The cross over from old to new is serial # 60000. The serial # of my tractor is greater than 60000, but it has both styles of dip stick... or at least it has the holes for both dipsticks. Only has the rear dipstick! Could this poor thing have gone through its entire life with a hole collecting dirt and water straight into the transmission?

I am looking for suggestions to plug this hole. Please, no suggestions that would require splitting the tractor... once is enough :). If I can't come up with a better solution, I will clean it up and fill the hole with silicon.

transmission-case-old.png rear-cover-old.png transmission-case-new.png rear-cover-new.png

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
My battle with the hydraulics on my M6800 continue...

Going through the parts catalogue I find that there is an old and new style of the transmission case and rear cover. The most obvious difference between the two is the location of the dip stick. The old style has the dip stick at the front of the transmission (sticks up just in front of the seat) and the new style has the dip stick at the back of the tractor close to where the PTO shaft comes out. The cross over from old to new is serial # 60000. The serial # of my tractor is greater than 60000, but it has both styles of dip stick... or at least it has the holes for both dipsticks. Only has the rear dipstick! Could this poor thing have gone through its entire life with a hole collecting dirt and water straight into the transmission?

I am looking for suggestions to plug this hole. Please, no suggestions that would require splitting the tractor... once is enough :). If I can't come up with a better solution, I will clean it up and fill the hole with silicon.

View attachment 48434 View attachment 48435 View attachment 48436 View attachment 48437
Well you could just buy a dipstick and put it in there and have two dipsticks!

Reactions: 1 user

Luckystars

Equipment
M5950 M1840A RTV900 CLUB CAR CARRY ALL 1
Mar 1, 2018
Webster FL USA
I'm thinking super glue and a shiny nickel would be faster and cheaper than a dipstick but a dip stick up front would be nice.
It probably had both at some point but it could have got caught on something and pulled out.