I need advice on a flow restrictor

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
This is wanted to slow down the speed of my top link. I have 3/8" hoses connected to my top link and would love some advice.

1). Are there different orifice sizes of these; if so how to know what size to get?
2). Do I need one or two of these for my top link cylinder?
3). Does it matter where I install this/them? On the hose close to the rear remote or at the cylinder?

Now to really dirty the waters:

I actually don't have true "rear remotes", instead I have run hoses to the rear of my tractor from my 3rd function valve, which will control my angulation on my snow blade when I switch the hoses over. The snow blade angles faster then I would like as well. That being said. Would it be better to restrict to hydraulic flow from the 3rd function valve, so both implements will be slowed down from the source?

Thanks

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
One thing that comes to mind from reading something somewhere in the past, is that flow restrictors end up shooting a narrower, higher speed stream of hydraulic fluid out of them. If the hose curves close to the restrictor, this concentrated high velocity flow can actually over time cut through the hose.

This related to point 3 I think. Just something to consider...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
One thing that comes to mind from reading something somewhere in the past, is that flow restrictors end up shooting a narrower, higher speed stream of hydraulic fluid out of them. If the hose curves close to the restrictor, this concentrated high velocity flow can actually over time cut through the hose.

Sounds like Internet folklore to me....

I make my own restrictors from coins drilled with an orifice. Been doing that for years.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Sounds like Internet folklore to me....

I make my own restrictors from coins drilled with an orifice. Been doing that for years.
I don't think it is folklore. Read reports of hose failure for this reason over the years.

Makes sense if you reduce diameter you increase velocity of flow through a smaller opening. Of course, the restriction also causes some decrease in flow. Not sure of the relationship. Restrictors likely also generate heat, but probably not a concern with the limited use they will see time wise, in most cases.

Flip what size holes do you drill in your restrictors? What size hydraulic lines are they used in? Just curious more than anything.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may be able to put some type of needle valve on the outlet of the control then cut the flow off until it operated as desired. Then lock valve stem in that position.

I believe that there are valves that specifically have a bolt type stem with a lock nut arrangement to do this. Look at Swagelok or Parker.

You could put one on each implement if they needed different flow rate or if mounting was easier at implement

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The comment by the owner needs to be considered in this situation:

I actually don't have true "rear remotes", instead I have run hoses to the rear of my tractor from my 3rd function valve

Is the third function not in the middle of the power beyond circuit to other stuff? The 3 pt hitch at least....... This is a question not a statement!

A permanent restriction in the third function output may slow down more devices than the owner is considering and be generating heat continuously.

Dave.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
This is wanted to slow down the speed of my top link. I have 3/8" hoses connected to my top link and would love some advice.

1). Are there different orifice sizes of these; if so how to know what size to get?
2). Do I need one or two of these for my top link cylinder?
3). Does it matter where I install this/them? On the hose close to the rear remote or at the cylinder?

Now to really dirty the waters:

I actually don't have true "rear remotes", instead I have run hoses to the rear of my tractor from my 3rd function valve, which will control my angulation on my snow blade when I switch the hoses over. The snow blade angles faster then I would like as well. That being said. Would it be better to restrict to hydraulic flow from the 3rd function valve, so both implements will be slowed down from the source?

Thanks
To directly answer your questions:
1) Yes. But generally a .031 is perfect. We sell them on our website.
2) Two is better, one on each side. They are cheap so why not.
3) No.
3A) That is no issue since you blade to too fast also, just don't add them to the "input" side on the valve, only the "output" AKA work ports.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com

I remember this discussion from TBN many years ago, maybe someone even posted a picture...but I can't imagine how many thousands of cycles it would take to cut a fitting or hoses. As I recall that discussion, the restrictor was right before a 90* fitting supposedly so the stream was shooting at the back wall of it.

But the long and short of it is the average user should not worry anything about this...

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota

I'm not 100% sure here, but I thought that was regarding needle valves connected to 90 degree connectors??
The comment by the owner needs to be considered in this situation:

I actually don't have true "rear remotes", instead I have run hoses to the rear of my tractor from my 3rd function valve

Is the third function not in the middle of the power beyond circuit to other stuff? The 3 pt hitch at least....... This is a question not a statement!

A permanent restriction in the third function output may slow down more devices than the owner is considering and be generating heat continuously.

Dave.

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
To directly answer your questions:
1) Yes. But generally a .031 is perfect. We sell them on our website.
2) Two is better, one on each side. They are cheap so why not.
3) No.
3A) That is no issue since you blade to too fast also, just don't add them to the "input" side on the valve, only the "output" AKA work ports.
Excellent, thanks!!