I fixed the clock spring in my Echo PPT226 pole saw starter assembly.

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I have an Echo Pole Saw PPT-226. Recently something broke in the pull starter, so I took it apart and found the broken part. Despite knowing that there was a clock spring lurking behind it, I couldn't stop myself from pulling out the cord reel, even though it wasn't broken. Sure enough, the clock spring did what clock springs do, but I figured it would be an easy fix. I had noticed some videos on YouTube, and you can purchase an entire starter assembly for under $30. However, my bravado quickly turned to chagrin and then concern, but I soldiered on. An hour or so later I had the thing put back together. I did a little damage to the spring while figuring out the process, but it still works.

Thought I would share the technique.

The broken part is at the bottom...those two pieces are supposed to be one piece. You can see the circle I drew in the wood that I mention below.
1.jpg

I used the reel as a template and drew a circle in the wood, then I drove four screws in part way, just inside of the line. I fed the spring in from the outside in. Then I pried the spring up slightly so I could put wire ties around the spring. Once the wire ties were in place I removed the screws and had a stable bundle. You can also run the screws through washers to hold the spring up off the wood, but I don't think it's worth the hassle, because it's easy to pry the spring up.
1687065211246.jpeg

I placed the stabilized spring into housing
3.jpg

I held the spring down and carefully cut and removed the wire ties. I had to bend the inner end so that it would engage with the slots in the reel.
4.jpg

Reassembled. Brain was a bit dead, so it took me a while to figure out how to use the notch (circled in red) to wind up the rope. I turned the reel the wrong way a couple of times and bent the spring, but fortunately I was able to disassemble and bend it back. Only turn the reel in the direction that tightens the spring. The notch actually makes winding up the rope incredibly easy.
5.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users