Hydraulics education and a question

milanmark

Equipment
B2601, Bucket, Grapple, Brush hog, stump bucket is ordered!
Jul 7, 2021
Milan, MI
So I understand some of the basics of hydraulics but anyone have a source and particularly for Kubotas system? I want to learn more about hydraulics and the system!

The question is I have a grapple with a single cylinder and I have the third function kit installed... I see other grapples with two cylinders... do they split the hoses to the cylinders or do you need an additional third function kit...

Thanks
Mark

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Sort of. In the case of a rear remote, you'll need a separate 2 spool valve (2 handles). One for the top and one for the tilt. Your not trying to operate the 2 cylinders together. Your operating 2 separate cylinders independently.

Reactions: 1 user

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
In this case you plumb the 1 rear remote into the 2 spool then 2 lines from the 2 spool, 1 to each cylinder. 2 lines in, 4 lines out.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Regarding rear remotes: Ask your dealer for the Loader Installation Instructions for your loader model. Typically these instructions provide all the details for installing a third function valve and will help you understand the system on your tractor.

Your question about the grapple having one or two cylinders which Ranger Danger answered very well, your loader is an example of two cylinders for the lift arms and probably two for the bucket both joined with two tees because the cylinders are double acting hence have two independent hydraulic circuits.

Dave

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Sort of. In the case of a rear remote, you'll need a separate 2 spool valve (2 handles). One for the top and one for the tilt. Your not trying to operate the 2 cylinders together. Your operating 2 separate cylinders independently.
"Sort of" .... actually becomes "not really". But your explanation will certainly help the OP and is perfectly accurate.

To the OP, I would add: Think about what the cylinders are doing. Are they working together to cause movement in the same direction, for essentially the same purpose? Or are they doing something different and independent?

Top and tilt functions are totally different, so using a Tee to split hydraulic flow from one control valve to both cylinders would not work for top and tilt, if one wanted to control what was happening independently, which nearly everybody wants.