Hydraulic Top Link Pros/Cons & Recommendations

tbeckett

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Monroe Tufline Disc, Woods Bush Hog, 60" Grapple
Jun 3, 2021
Columbus, MS
I have a M5660 and am looking into Hydraulic Top Links. What are the Pros/Cons? Any recommendations on Options and Brands etc? I use a Tiller, Disc, Box Blade, Land Plane, Bush Hog etc.

Thanks for your input.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I can't imagine a con. I would also never own a tractor again without TNT.
There is a reason Brian (FitRitehydraulics.com) has a very long waiting list. I have his kit.

As far as advantages of having one. . .
Some of my uses

Much easier 3pt hookups (my implements are almost never level)

Great for use with a box blade or back blade in grading gravel driveway - improves your efficiency many times.

I was able to pull the box blade in with the scarifiers set deep to do really deep ripping when my lawn was redone.

My post hole digger was used down a bank and I was able to control the angle of drill with it.

Bottom line - It allows you to make changes on the fly without ever getting off the tractor.

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
As everyone has stated, no downside other than the cost.

I like the Land Pride/Kubota factory kits with the protected hoses, nice hardware, matched paint etc. I did have an issue with the top link heim joint on the MX kit and had to replace it so am curious as to what Kubota will provide with the top link for the M6060. I've ordered the top-n-tilt kit for the M6060 which is supposedly different than the MX kit and hopefully it has a better heim joint on the ram. I'll know soon enough.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Kubota TL here. There’s no check valve and I noticed this winter with 1,000lbs of ballast box on it will eventually leak down towards a rear pitch angle. No biggie I just bump it up to level once in awhile. It works great with the LP and let’s me adjust the cut without leaving the cab. I also liked it when pushing small piles backwards as you can tilt at a good enough angle to only use 1 bar (either front or rear) and felt like I had more control instead of watching both bars.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have a M5660 and am looking into Hydraulic Top Links. What are the Pros/Cons? Any recommendations on Options and Brands etc? I use a Tiller, Disc, Box Blade, Land Plane, Bush Hog etc.

Thanks for your input.
I've had a hydraulic top link for about 10 years that I use with a box blade, grader blade, slip scoop, boom pole, etc., but not with mowers, plows, discs, etc.

Edit: I've found it most helpful with the box blade and, especially the slip scoop. It also makes the boom pole more useful.

Should you decide to buy one, spend the money to get a quality unit equipped with pilot operated check valves. Do not rely on the tractor hydraulics to maintain position.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
This is the place I got my Cat 1 top link from. The link below is for the Cat 2 version. It has worked flawless for me. Because my LX has 1/4" pioneer couplers for the rear remotes. I cut the hoses shorter ( they were too long anyway) and had the local NAPA store crimp on the 1/4" male NPT fittings to the hoses. The fittings that come with the cylinder are 3/8" British straight parallel pipe thread. The cylinder was made in Turkey.

Reactions: 1 user

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Excellent addition to your tractor.

Even within a particular category linkage, top links come in different sizes. After you've decided on the diameter and shaft size (= push and pull power) and length that suits your application, consider the one with longest travel. Some cheap ones have short travel, which hampers the point of a top link.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Lots of Pros and I agree with them. One Con i have is, (I have a cab). Changing implements having to adjust the top link length to hook up takes a few trips into the cab sometimes. A very first world problem! But way more effort than turning the screw to adjust the length of a manual top link :)
I can just reach the valve handle from the ground from the right side, (I removed my right step and made a bracket to carry stuff)

i like the hyd top link with the snowblower to adjust the cutting edge angle to leave more snow than the skid shoes, or push out to cut hard.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I just installed this one on my M6060. The hoses were $120. :oops:
Can you elaborate? I found out yesterday that Kubota/Land Pride doesn't offer a factory top-n-tilt for M tractors so will need to figure out something else. The service department did quote me for the two cylinders which were north of $1,000 for the pair. Hoses, fittings and sleeves would be at least $250.

The top link cylinder is significantly cheaper than the side link cylinder which is surprising.

1badDart

Sep 7, 2021
W. KY.
Can you elaborate? I found out yesterday that Kubota/Land Pride doesn't offer a factory top-n-tilt for M tractors so will need to figure out something else. The service department did quote me for the two cylinders which were north of $1,000 for the pair. Hoses, fittings and sleeves would be at least $250.

The top link cylinder is significantly cheaper than the side link cylinder which is surprising.
Sorry, when I put up the post I had a link in it, apparently that's a no no. The cylinder came from Northern Hydraulics, sku WSE2.5X10.

Spec's:

• 2.5" Bore
    • 10" Stroke
    • 1.50" Diameter Rod
    • 20 Retracted Pin to Pin Distance
    • 30 Extended Length
    • SAE 8 port size
    • 3500 PSI
    • 14,700 column load
    • Shipping Weight is 22 lbs
81B58517-7839-4D45-9ED0-09190765E42E.jpeg
5886EA14-35E4-40B6-9EE3-39DC3D45D21A.jpeg