Hydraulic screech and power loss when hot

Ach

Equipment
Kubota B6000 DT with B219 Loader
Mar 1, 2011
Big Island, Hawaii, USA
Hi everyone!

I got a b6000 with a b219 loader with an external hydraulic pump that is powered by the fan belt pulley.

Just recently it started to whine after warming up when lifting. It also moves slowly and lacks lift power after it starts to whine. It sounds as if the whine is coming from the cylinders rather than the pump.

It originally happened last week, so I changed the fluid. After using it today (the first good use since the fluid change) and hearing the whine, I checked the level with loader bucket on the ground and it was low on fluid. I topped off and it made no noise until it came under load, at which point the screech came back with vigor.

It has always pushed some fluid out of the breather when dropping the loader from height.

There is no filter on the system.

If the pump is blown the good news is that a new pump is only about 75 bucks or so and is a straightforward install. On the other hand, mayhaps its something else.

Anyone got any input?

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I like to look at things that are free, or at least inexpensive first.
Is that fan belt tight enough? Is it glazed and cracking?
Loose or cracking/dry belts can squeal/whine to beat He77; we've all heard an old beater driving down the road with the squeal from the power steering belt.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
There is no filter on the system.
Actually, there is a strainer/screen/filter at the bottom of the tank (B219 uses the right upright as the hydraulic tank), it is behind the large fitting that the suction (low pressure) hose attaches to.....
pull the hose, dump the oil, & remove the large fitting. Also don't forget the flush the bottom of the tank, mine had some sediment below the filter.

Last edited:

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Hi Ach,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I agree with the others that the whine is usually air getting into the system somewhere. I agree regarding cleaning out the filter. I'd also mention check all of your hoses to make sure none are cracked or leaking.

Mine never pukes fluid out the breather, so something must be blocked/plugged somewhere.

I'm curious where you were able to source a new pump from? I also have one of these loaders and would like this info for future reference.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Mine never pukes fluid out the breather, so something must be blocked/plugged somewhere.
Agreed, or it's overfilled.... manual says 4" below the breather hole, which (I assume) means 4" below the top of the tank, not the filler neck. That's where I keep mine, and I've never had any problems. Mine did puke once, when I first got it.... I left the bucket in the highest position, shut the tractor down, and then hit the lever to lower it..... quite messy. I haven't repeated that move, and it's never puked since.

Ach

Equipment
Mar 1, 2011
Big Island, Hawaii, USA
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I didn't realize that was a filter Lilfoot. I'll go dump the system, pull and clean the strainer today. I'll make sure to get the gunk out of the bottom of the tank too. Thanks for the heads up.

The fanbelt and hydraulic pump belt are both replaced within the last five hours of use. No cracking or squealing there. In fact the squealing seems to be coming from the cylinders themselves.

My hydraulic hoses are old and some have cracks. Can air enter through even if there is no hydro fluid leakage? Probably time to invest in some replacement lines regardless...

It has puked a bit since I got it, but usually when dropping from height without breaking its fall. I figured I had it slightly overfull until this last time, when I had it right at the 4" mark and it was still vomiting, and this time with less height drop. Hopefully cleaning the suction strainer will prevent that messy problem from recurring.

Apogee, do an internets search for hydraulic pump and you should find some good stuff. Here's a cheapo I found. It runs ccw and puts out 3gpm peak though, which should work out:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7798&catname=hydraulic

Ach

Equipment
Mar 1, 2011
Big Island, Hawaii, USA
Pulled the screen. It was clogged with green and metallic funk. Bathing it in gasoline right now.

Thanks for the heads up on the filter. Everything should fall into place now.

Mahalos!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
You're welcome, and thanks for posting on your results.... some people never give any feedback.