Hydraulic pressure rating on plow ram

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
I have picked up a small plow(42") and I am in the process of gathering the rest of the materials I need to mount it to the front of my old B5100E and was wondering if anyone knew what the minimum required pressure rating would be for a hydraulic cylinder for this application, The plow setup is not heavy, Probably less than 150lbs total with mount but my main concern is how much hydraulic pressure does the pump on my machine put out, I have seen cylinders rated from anywhere between 500 PSI to 3500 PSI, I am looking at several different cylinders they are all basically 1.5" to 2" bore x 4" stroke, I do not think I need to lift the plow more than 4" but am concerned with what the PSI rating on the cylinder should be.

Val

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Update on my progress, I have fabricated my mounting brackets for the plow, Basically they are 17" long x 11" high pieces of 3/16" flat steel with a cutout for the front axle and tie rod, I am experimenting with different locations for the plow frame attaching points to these brackets, I will post some pics when I get a chance, As soon as I determine the optimum attaching point then I can fabricate a mounting point for the lift cylinder and determine what length cylinder/stroke I need, Not sure of the psi on the pump on this machine but I decided that I would go with a 3ooo psi cylinder just to be safe, I am going to use a double acting cylinder so I have downward pressure as well as lift, When that is done I will work on tapping into my hydraulics and setting up the contol lever.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Hello,

most of the B-Kubotas have less then 2000PSI (137bar) But if the limiter was "adjusted" it can be up! My additional hydraulic is limited at 150bar.
So your 3000PSI cylinder should work.

Have fun

carl

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Hi Carl,
Thanks for the info, I have narrowed down my options on the cylinder, It will mount right on the front of the tractor where the suitcase weights hang and the weights will hang on the back when the plow is attached. I decided on the double acting cylinder so I could have some downward pressure as well as lift, I figure with the downward pressure it will serve 2 purposes, It will hold the blade down on my asphalt drive for snow removal and I can used it at a set height for grading purposes. Double checking to make sure a 4" stroke cyclinder will give me enough lift, I figure with where I set the pivot point and the lift point of the cylinder the 4" cylinder should give me 6"- 8" of actual plow lift which is more than enough for my needs.

Val

Last edited: