Hydraulic oil for KX033-4 excavator

Semo

Equipment
KX 033-4 Exmark EFI 60"
Apr 3, 2022
S.E. Louisiana
I need some advice concerning what to do about the hydraulic oil in my machine. It's a 2020 KX033-4 excavator that I got back in march with 1600 hrs. on it. Talked to previous owner and he said he used ISO 68. Manual says to use Shell Tellus S2M46 or S2MX 46 in summer or high ambient temps, so being in south Louisiana, that sounds like what I will use. I'm a little suspect about taking the previous owners word about what he actually put in it. All he told me was that it was ISO 68 and did not mention a brand. Don't know if I should even trust that. Not being sure what is in there, I need to know if there could be any problems in mixing oils. Manual says Hydro tank capacity is about 9 gallons, but the entire system capacity is about 16 gallons. So when I go to change filters in tank and replace the 9 gallons in there, there is still about 7 gallons left in the system that I'm not sure of. A couple of dealer service managers told me to drain the 9 gallons from the tank and refill with the Shell Tellus, then run the machine and make sure to actuate all the controls to circulate the remaining 7 gallons with the new oil. Then, drain the tank again, replace the filters in there and put another 9 gallons of Shell Tellus in. That's going to be expensive. I'm just wondering if that will get enough of the old oil out. Paid dearly for this machine and don't want to take any chances. Please help, I'm not sure that this is the best way to go. Thanks for helping

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I need some advice concerning what to do about the hydraulic oil in my machine. It's a 2020 KX033-4 excavator that I got back in march with 1600 hrs. on it. Talked to previous owner and he said he used ISO 68. Manual says to use Shell Tellus S2M46 or S2MX 46 in summer or high ambient temps, so being in south Louisiana, that sounds like what I will use. I'm a little suspect about taking the previous owners word about what he actually put in it. All he told me was that it was ISO 68 and did not mention a brand. Don't know if I should even trust that. Not being sure what is in there, I need to know if there could be any problems in mixing oils. Manual says Hydro tank capacity is about 9 gallons, but the entire system capacity is about 16 gallons. So when I go to change filters in tank and replace the 9 gallons in there, there is still about 7 gallons left in the system that I'm not sure of. A couple of dealer service managers told me to drain the 9 gallons from the tank and refill with the Shell Tellus, then run the machine and make sure to actuate all the controls to circulate the remaining 7 gallons with the new oil. Then, drain the tank again, replace the filters in there and put another 9 gallons of Shell Tellus in. That's going to be expensive. I'm just wondering if that will get enough of the old oil out. Paid dearly for this machine and don't want to take any chances. Please help, I'm not sure that this is the best way to go. Thanks for helping
Ordinary hydraulic oil - mixes with no problems.

Dan

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Haven’t you posted that same question before, maybe a couple times?!?!

On one occasion (last week?) someone responded to you with an answer.

Semo

Equipment
KX 033-4 Exmark EFI 60"
Apr 3, 2022
S.E. Louisiana
Haven’t you posted that same question before, maybe a couple times?!?!

On one occasion (last week?) someone responded to you with an answer.
yes, but I reposted with more clarity about my concern about the possibility of mixing different brands/types of oils.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
yes, but I reposted with more clarity about my concern about the possibility of mixing different brands/types of oils.
Will do. Just wanted to make sure you weren’t going through all that if there already was an answer out there.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks, Dan...So no chance to harm pump or other "inards"?
Shell Tellus S2 MXnn is a mineral based hydraulic oil formulsted with Group II base oils. That postions it as a lower end performaer with a VI ayound 100 and about as generic as it gets. It is compatible with other mineral based hydraulic oils. If you mix MX46 with an ISO 68 oil the result will be an oil with viscosity somewhere between ISO 46 and ISO 68. No big deal in a warm climate.

Dan

Semo

Equipment
KX 033-4 Exmark EFI 60"
Apr 3, 2022
S.E. Louisiana
Shell Tellus S2 MXnn is a mineral based hydraulic oil formulsted with Group II base oils. That postions it as a lower end performaer with a VI ayound 100 and about as generic as it gets. It is compatible with other mineral based hydraulic oils. If you mix MX46 with an ISO 68 oil the result will be an oil with viscosity somewhere between ISO 46 and ISO 68. No big deal in a warm climate.

Dan
Got it. Thanks