Hydraulic level

Major123

Equipment
2501 Finish Mower
May 25, 2020
Brooks Ga
I have an L2501 I did the 50H maintenance lost about a quart of hydro oil.
Check the site glass and couldn't see the fill line I have added 3 gallons and still can't see the line. I am concerned I have over filled. How do I check this.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I think the only way is to let some out, maybe have a helper watch the site glass to see when it comes into range.Loosen the drain plug but don't remove, messy but the only way I think.

Major123

Equipment
2501 Finish Mower
May 25, 2020
Brooks Ga
I think the only way is to let some out, maybe have a helper watch the site glass to see when it comes into range.Loosen the drain plug but don't remove, messy but the only way I think.
I thought about loosening the filter and let some out there.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I was just solving the same issue yesterday on my L3200 after changing the hydraulic fluid and filters. I looked up the capacity and put in 7.2 gallons but could not see any fluid in sight glass. Turns out 7.2 is for manual gear model, my HST only takes 6.2 gallon.

I backed off the hst filter and with the help of a friend who ran tractor at low idle I collected a gallon or so of fluid in about 15 seconds. I used a large funnel and collected the fluid with no mess. Then I added fluid back very slowly until it appeared in sight glass. Much easier with 2 people so one person watches the sight glass.

Good luck with yours

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
One of the issues with Kubota fluid is it's clear so it is hard to see in a sight glass or on a dipstick. I prefer a dipstick myself. I drilled 2 small holes in mine, one at the bottom fill line, one at the top line. When full, the oil bridges the holes and makes checking easy.

I bet yours is overfilled. Only way to know for sure is drain some into a pan and watch the sight glass when draining.

Overfilling put undue strain on the pto shaft seal as well as the input shaft seal which are not supposed to be continually submerged in fluid.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
What I did was take out the little window (22mm wrench if I remember correctly) slowly filled till it ran out replaced the window and added very slow until the oil was half way.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
I have an L2501 I did the 50H maintenance lost about a quart of hydro oil.
Check the site glass and couldn't see the fill line I have added 3 gallons and still can't see the line. I am concerned I have over filled. How do I check this.
If it the background isn't bright white then the fluid is over the glass. The fluid is a little darker and the background is very white. What I have done is to drain the fluid by loosening the hst filter until you see the level drop down. It would be easier to drain it from the drain plug but you would need someone watching the glass which I didn't have. The difference between top of the glass and bottom isn't much at all and I don't think a little extra is a big deal. It seems you have 3 gallons extra though.
That stupid sight glass is a pet peeve of mine, a dipstick would be way better.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If it the background isn't bright white then the fluid is over the glass. The fluid is a little darker and the background is very white. What I have done is to drain the fluid by loosening the hst filter until you see the level drop down. It would be easier to drain it from the drain plug but you would need someone watching the glass which I didn't have. The difference between top of the glass and bottom isn't much at all and I don't think a little extra is a big deal. It seems you have 3 gallons extra though.
That stupid sight glass is a pet peeve of mine, a dipstick would be way better.
.and a hole at the top fill and one at the lower fill are even better. Cars are like that, makes life much easier.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I tried loosening the HST filter when I overfilled my L3200, the problem was that fluid level only dropped by a filter full, no more fluid came out from HST filter area! I needed 1 gallon out.

I solved my issue by having a friend start the tractor at a low idle with the HST filter cracked about 1/4" inch. It took about 15 seconds to get a gallon into my large funnel and jug.

It was only after turning off tractor and sealing HST filter that fluid level changed and I saw an air bubble appear in the sight glass and then disappear as the fluid settled below the sight glass.

My friend watched the sight glass an d I added fluid back in at about a cup at a time, sight glass level is sensitive, it does not take much to raise from start to center of glass.

It felt good to finally get the fluid level correct. Good luck with yours.