hydraulic fittings / adapters (snow plow hookup)

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Hey Guys,

I am looking to hookup my snow plow to my tractor, but the fitting sizes are different sizes, and I have a couple of (simple) questions.

Is there an issue with going from one size fitting to another size (flow issue)? If so, where would one purchase these fittings?

Thanks

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
A local hydraulic hose shop would have them, or try Surpluscenter.com. Surpluscenter would be cheaper, but if you don't know the size and style and terminology, the local guy would be able to match up what you need to adapt, if you take the fittings and hoses, in question to him. Sometimes advice is easier to find locally...:D

The_Al

Equipment
Jul 19, 2013
MA
A local hydraulic hose shop would have them, or try Surpluscenter.com. Surpluscenter would be cheaper, but if you don't know the size and style and terminology, the local guy would be able to match up what you need to adapt, if you take the fittings and hoses, in question to him. Sometimes advice is easier to find locally...:D
Thank you, appreciate the info.

The_Al

Equipment
Jul 19, 2013
MA
As a follow-up on this, I am going to go down this week and try and figure out connector sizes, I have a question about connecting my used plow from my old pickup truck to my L3540.

- I feel like I should clean out the fluid that is left over in the plow. In the truck I used transmission fluid and there is still some residue left over. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to clean out?

- I am concerned that I will not get all of the transmission fluid out, and it will get into my Hydraulic fluid in my tractor. I would guess that it would be a very problematic and cause a lot of issue with the L3540 in general.

- Can I blow out the fluid with a compressor?
- Could this cause corruption with the hydraulic fluid or am I overthinking things?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Al

Diydave

Equipment
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Take the qc's off the plow hoses, turn the blade side down, point the hoses into a bucket, and move the frame from right to left, slowly. Should bleed as much out as is necessary. Don't worry about getting the last drop...:D:D

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
- I am concerned that I will not get all of the transmission fluid out, and it will get into my Hydraulic fluid in my tractor. I would guess that it would be a very problematic and cause a lot of issue with the L3540 in general.

^^^What Dave Said. You could jack up the frame so the blade clears and turn it both ways to the stops with the hoses open like described. Transmission fluid is a hydraulic fluid of sorts. I would be more concerned about getting out any contaminants such as water.

The_Al

Equipment
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Thanks guys. Will do.

Is there any concern if there is residue that leaked into the hydraulic fluid in the tractor? If it does, is it a big issue?

Thanks

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Thanks guys. Will do.

Is there any concern if there is residue that leaked into the hydraulic fluid in the tractor? If it does, is it a big issue?

Thanks
If the plow is tuned both ways with the hoses open it will be fine. You could stick one hose at a time into clean oil and suck it in while turning the plow and then take it out to empty for a flush, or if you are afflicted with OCD you can buy new turn rams and new hoses. ;)

Diydave

Equipment
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I doubt the amount of fluid remaining after draining the cyl's and hoses would fill the filter on the tractor. Not sure what your oil sump holds, but on my l2202, it was about 7-1/2 gallons, IIRR. A pint in 7-1/2 gallons ain't enough to mess anything up...:D:D

The_Al

Equipment
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Thanks all, here is a postmortem of the hookup for this plow:

- Picked up some new hoses with the correct hydraulic fittings
- Welded on some braces and pins to connect to the 1/4" quick attach plate onto the plow.

Attached it up today, and tested on some of the small amount of snow we had a couple of days ago. Hydraulic works as expected.

Please find attached some pics, in-case anyone is interested in the setup:

Attachments