Hydraulic couplers(BX24)

Johnp_graham@yahoo.com

Equipment
Kubota BX24 with bucket, mower and backhoe
Oct 1, 2012
Woolwich,Maine, USA
I occasionally have difficulty disengaging one or more of the bucket hydraulic couplers. I have solved the problem in the past with goose neck pliers and a gentle tap from a hammer. Today I had the reverse problem. I could not get one of the couplers to seat. I tried relieving pressure but still no success. The couplers themselves are not dinged or damaged. Has anyone had this experience? Any suggestions?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Every once in a while I'll have trouble with a coupler. Mostly just on my L3000. I've found that it helps to cut the tractor off and work the loader joystick and the remote control to ensure they are completely relieved of pressure. After that the lines usually will plug in without much trouble.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Assuming no physical damage, pressure is the problem.

Don't do as so many will and use a hammer to beat the center prong of the male connector.

Saw a shopbuilt jigger: C-clamp with the bottom pad cut off and a split-in-half-lengthways socket welded in its place. Open the clamp, slip the half-socket around the hose fitting hex and screw the clamp down to gently push in the male-end prong. Easy. Just a tiny spurt is all it takes to relieve pressure so you can hook uip.

When sitting the implement down for removal always (only way I know to reliably do so) shut down the engine and wobble the stick in all directions to fully relieve all pressure just before disconnecting hoses. Makes hookup easy later.

I carry a spray can of engine starter fluid (aka ether) in toolbox. Never in Kubota engine but is handy to spray-clean hydraulic connectors---good strong blast and no residue.

Johnp_graham@yahoo.com

Equipment
Kubota BX24 with bucket, mower and backhoe
Oct 1, 2012
Woolwich,Maine, USA
The coupler problem was resolved by unscrewing the implement couplers(4) to relieve pressure in the female half of the system. This done at the advice of the Kubota service rep. I've learned my lesson an will diminish pressure at the bucket toggle prior to separating the couplers in the future.