Hst or shuttle shift?

WyoHomestead

Feb 24, 2021
Wyoming
Hi everyone, sorry if this topic has already been beat to death. I currently have a l2501 and am constantly finding myself needing a bigger tractor. I’m debating between the mx5400/6000 and the M5660. Primary use would be snow removal(we get some really deep drifts), some dirt work and spreading gravel and cleaning corrals and feeding hay. My primary concern is I would also like to have the ability in the future to do some Haying with it as well. Will the hst hold up to running those type of implements or would I be better off going with the M model and the shuttle shift? Thanks!

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I have the M5660 with the hydraulic shuttle and love it so far. Been using it to plow snow with all winter and actually prefer using the rear scraper blade instead of the FEL. I have R1's, rears loaded with Rim Guard, and no tire chains.

The M5660 is a BEAST!

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
For snow blowing and loader work you will like the HST. If you do a lot of roads, running a mower/baler, and carrying large bales over long distances in bumpy fields you will like the SS and big front tires. Get an air ride seat if you can and a complete set of front and rear remotes.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I've never had a shuttle shift, and got my first HST this summer. i absolutely love HST for snow. I'm running a hand-me-down snowblower that caused my 72 pto hp JD 3020 to struggle (reverse gear too tall). With the 50 pto hp HST I can easily slow down (w/out decreasing pto speed) for the deep drifts and go a little faster for the rest. Granted the JD was long in years and probably not giving me all 72 hp, and a gear tractor with a lower reverse would have been better, but I'm really impressed with the HST for snow blowing.

I'd guess a similar benefit would show up in mowing or bush hogging thick vs. thin but have not idea how it would hold up to that in the long term or how much hp I'm giving up.

WyoHomestead

Feb 24, 2021
Wyoming
Thank you guys for all your great replies! I’m thinking I am going to go with the shuttle shift for the possibility of haying and expanding in the future. I’ve been looking at the m6060 as that’s what my dealer can get and for not much more money you seem to gain a couple of Pro’s over the 5660.

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
Thank you guys for all your great replies! I’m thinking I am going to go with the shuttle shift for the possibility of haying and expanding in the future. I’ve been looking at the m6060 as that’s what my dealer can get and for not much more money you seem to gain a couple of Pro’s over the 5660.
If your OK with a hydraulic shuttle I'd go with a M7060. More tractor for less money, and better fuel economy.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
With the price of the hay equipment as high as it is make sure to run a cost vs benefit sheet to see if it is worth the money.

It may save you some money to do the hay on shares or just hire it out.

Take a look at "Tractorhouse" and other websites and you can see some of the money you will need to spend to make hay.

Also if you decide to do hay you almost "need" a cab tractor as that hay can get a little dusty.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Do look at the PTO HP requirements for the hay equipment you want to use. Smaller round bales or larger squares don’t need as much power as a large round bailer.

Other than handling large round bales, your current tractor seems to be pretty good for what you are wanting to do.

WyoHomestead

Feb 24, 2021
Wyoming
Do look at the PTO HP requirements for the hay equipment you want to use. Smaller round bales or larger squares don’t need as much power as a large round bailer.

Other than handling large round bales, your current tractor seems to be pretty good for what you are wanting to do.
Good morning Jimh406 and thank you for your reply! I have seen some haying equipment that is made for lower HP tractors and it looks awesome! My only concern would be the hst transmission I currently have. I Would only be haying a few acres a couple of times a year but am also planning on doing some neighboring properties (maybe 30-50 acres). I’m also thinking about a smaller haybine with a conditioner on it instead of a rotary or drum mower and then a teder and rake. I know the haybines require a little more hp as well. Do you hay with your 2501 and if so what are you running for implements? Thanks!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
No, I don’t hay. I split the hay on my main field with a neighbor. He does the work and sells the hay. He has very large tractors since he hays a few fields in the area.

Sixmaxwells

Equipment
Kubota L3560 & M4D-071
Mar 27, 2020
Callahan, FL
I’ve had a HST L3560 for the last couple of years and recently purchased an M4-071D w/ shuttle. I may not be the best person for advice because I’m not an experienced shuttle shift user, but for more precise work I just don’t see how you can match the HST.
When I’m out working in field, I actually prefer the shuttle shift.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I’ve had a HST L3560 for the last couple of years and recently purchased an M4-071D w/ shuttle. I may not be the best person for advice because I’m not an experienced shuttle shift user, but for more precise work I just don’t see how you can match the HST.
When I’m out working in field, I actually prefer the shuttle shift.
Is there any equipment wear/damage issues with using the HST for stuff like mowing or disking? I get that I'm losing some power.

In addition to being able to go as slow as I want at full PTO speed (very useful for snow blowing, where I will have 6 inches in the driveway, but two foot deep finger drifts at several points) the ability to creep up next to a building or to hitch up an implement is awesome.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I have the L3560 with HSTC, when I'm mowing longer sections, I set the cruise control. Press the button and it holds the speed and I just have to steer.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I was initially thinking that the cruise control seemed like an unnecessary feature, but then realized that that's exactly how I've driven every other tractor ever. Pop the clutch, travel at a fixed speed until I change something. I haven't mowed with my "new" Kubota yet, but probably this year.