HST fluid change at 50 hrs?

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Just as the title says, is the cost worth the gain?

My tractor is an L2501. Just over 40 hrs.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I know some here have said they changed their fluid at 50 hours. In my mind, I really don't see a big benefit in doing so. Maybe in my younger days I would do it, but I don't intend to...unless I see something between now and then to compel me to do so. So far, I have not.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
It would be a waste of good hyd. fluid. In fact, I would take yer drained 50 hr fluid, strain it and put it in my tractor when I change mine at 400 hrs and save $. The new synthetic fluids make it unnecessary to change it so soon. Just be sure to change the filters at 50hrs.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Just as the title says, is the cost worth the gain?

My tractor is an L2501. Just over 40 hrs.
May not be cost effective but I do.

I've been told that new Kubota tractors are not shipped with SUDT2 in the sump. No, I cannot confirm that, but dealer techs have told me so.

I change both filters and oil at first change to assure that tractors have SUDT2 therein.

FWIW: Owner's Manual for M9960 specifies that both filters and oil be changed at 50 hours. I changed both in my M9960 this past Spring. Expensive as it holds about 16 gallons.

SDT

Last edited:

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I would follow the maintenance table in your tractor owners manual.

BX's require HST filter & fluid at 50 hrs. L's maybe not? Also, all new 80 series BX's are factory filled with SUDT2. Again, L's may be different.

Always default to the owners manual for your specific tractor. Anything above & beyond is great, but I certainly wouldn't go backwards.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
May not be cost effective but I do.

I've been told that new Kubota tractors are not shipped with SUDT2 in the sump. No, I cannot confirm that, but dealer techs have told me so.

I change both filters and oil at first change to assure that tractors have SUDT2 therein.

FWIW: Owner's Manuel for M9960 specifies that both filters and oil be changed at 50 hours. I changed both in my M9960 last fall. Expensive as it holds about 16 gallons.

SDT
I've read the opposite around here as far as the L's factory fill being SUDT2. Who knows as they are backwards compatible. Is there even a sure way of finding out?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My first change I pulled the HST filter and the screen,, drained fluid and ran it all through several paper filters , I forget where I found them (paper filters down to 5 microns maybe),new filter cleaned screen and put hydro back in. Changed everything out at I think 400 hours

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
The first 50 hours is the tractors break in period. So there will be metal shavings in the fluid. The filter "should" remove them but there is a lot of things that should be in this world and aren't. I changed mine at 50 hours and even if a breakdown would have been covered under warranty the headache, downtime, and ear full from the Mrs. that would come from having to get that system fixed would be a lot more expensive to me than a couple hundred bucks.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The first 50 hours is the tractors break in period. So there will be metal shavings in the fluid. The filter "should" remove them but there is a lot of things that should be in this world and aren't. I changed mine at 50 hours and even if a breakdown would have been covered under warranty the headache, downtime, and ear full from the Mrs. that would come from having to get that system fixed would be a lot more expensive to me than a couple hundred bucks.
Bingo.

The first service is very important, which is why it is recommended at 50 hours.

I've been told that Kubota uses less expensive oil upon assembly (at least in some models) in order to save money. This is acceptable because it is expected that the oil will be in the unit for only 50 hours.

SDT

Last edited:

cre73

Equipment
B2601
Jun 5, 2018
Central Illinois
I did my fluid also at the 50hr service hoping to hopefully see some gains. Did not see any change. Same whine from the hydrostat and no changes in hydraulic performance. Not that I was having any actual issues to begin with but you can always hope. I saved and filtered my fluid and will use it in my logsplitter when I get around to changing that fluid.

Woodstuck

Equipment
L2501
Apr 29, 2019
Hammonton
I just did my first service on my l2501 at 61 hours. I ended up changing the fluid and used kubota filters. I drained the old fluid into a clear used oil jug and will say that in the jug the old oil is definitely dark. Also I had a fair bit of metal on the oil filter magnet. While the oil was drained I also bumped the hydraulic pressure up to the upper end of the factory spec. Since then I have put roughly 5 hours on it and notice a significant difference in the noise and power of the machine. I was happy with the way it performed before but now it feels like a totally different machine.

degoniaorange82

Equipment
l2501hst, 5ft. tiller, box blade and finnish mower, subsoiler and plow
Nov 9, 2017
southwest indiana
I could not get an answer about what fluid came in mine, so I changed it with the udt2 fluid at the 50hr service. Like someone else said, the old fluid was filtered and saved, and now I know it has the udt2 in it.