SE, IN
BX1880 - 43.9 cu in, 18.0 hp, 33.1 ft lb, 3200 rpm
BX2380 - 54.8 cu in, 23.0 hp, 41.3 ft lb, 3200 rpm
BX2680 - 61.1 cu in, 25.5 hp, 44.4 ft-lb, 3200 rpm

B2301 - 61.1 cu in, 22.0 hp, 44.2 ft lb, 2800 rpm
B2601 - 68.5 cu in, 25.5 hp, 52.3 ft lb, 2800 rpm

B2650 - 76.9 cu in, 24.8 hp, 59.1 ft lb, 2500 rpm

L2501 - 100.5 cu in, 24.8 hp, 70.2 ft lb, 2200 rpm
Derating some to stay below nonsensical gubmint regulations.

SDT

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Comparing torque and hp ratings at different rpm's convinced me that buying my L2501 was the right choice.

Torque is the "twisting " force and by looking at these comparative numbers suggest to me that the 5hp per foot of implement rule should be taken with a grain of salt.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
It is possible the five horsepower per foot rule came into being when most tractors were gasoline powered. As a general rule diesel engines have more torque for a given horsepower rating than gasoline engines.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
It is possible the five horsepower per foot rule came into being when most tractors were gasoline powered. As a general rule diesel engines have more torque for a given horsepower rating than gasoline engines.
Interesting question! I also thought I remembered reading something online that talked about the 5hp rule applied to ground engaging implements. In my mind there is a big difference between 5 foot of back blade work in heavy soil and aggressive cut compared to pulling a five foot rotary cutter. More reasons in my mind that the 5 ft rule is NOT a one size fits all rule by any stretch.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Interesting question! I also thought I remembered reading something online that talked about the 5hp rule applied to ground engaging implements. In my mind there is a big difference between 5 foot of back blade work in heavy soil and aggressive cut compared to pulling a five foot rotary cutter. More reasons in my mind that the 5 ft rule is NOT a one size fits all rule by any stretch.
HP is HP.

The common 5 HP per foot rule is a good rule of thumb for rotary cutters.

Gasoline or diesel, makes no difference.

SDT

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
HP is HP.

The common 5 HP per foot rule is a good rule of thumb for rotary cutters.

Gasoline or diesel, makes no difference.

SDT
I would have to disagree .

Given two examples from the list of Kubota engines in the op

I would much rather have a engine rated at 24.8 hp developing a maximum foot pounds of torque of 70.2 at 2200 rpms then a engine rated at 24.8 hp with a maximum foot pounds of torque of 59.1 foot pounds at 2500 rpms.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I would have to disagree .

Given two examples from the list of Kubota engines in the op

I would much rather have a engine rated at 24.8 hp developing a maximum foot pounds of torque of 70.2 at 2200 rpms then a engine rated at 24.8 hp with a maximum foot pounds of torque of 59.1 foot pounds at 2500 rpms.
So would I but HP is still HP gasoline or diesel and the 5 HP per foot is still a good rule of thumb for rotary cutters.

SDT

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
So would I but HP is still HP gasoline or diesel and the 5 HP per foot is still a good rule of thumb for rotary cutters.

SDT
I should have been more clear about what I disagree with. You're correct in that if an engine is rated at 25 hp it does not matter if the fuel is gasoline or diesel.

What I disagree with is the generalization of a rule of thumb such as 5hp per foot of implement and in this case being a rotary cutter.

If that rule was adhered to, both by end users and Kubota there would not be a 5 foot cutter being used on a L2501. With less than a 20hp pto rating that would limit a cutter to 4 foot. When I did research before buying my tractor I considered the Kioti CK2601. Very similar machine with a 24.5 hp engine with similar cubic inch and torque figures. Kioti ok's a light duty 6 foot rotary cutter for this machine. To be fair it is listed with about 2 hp pto advantage over the L2501.

To me the important number in considering a implement such as a rotary cutter is still the torque number. Two tractors with the same HP but a significant difference in torque, which one will be better able to maintain 540 pto speed as conditions change , ie taller denser grass?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The engine with more torque is 33% bigger(100cuin vs 75 +-) so one has to assume it'll require more fuel to make that 'extra' torque.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
The engine with more torque is 33% bigger(100cuin vs 75 +-) so one has to assume it'll require more fuel to make that 'extra' torque.
I would assume that also, but is not fuel economy a whole different issue than HP versus torque versus size of implement and the 5hp rule ?

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's just one of those 'can't get somethin for nothin' observations.
As for HP vs torque, you can design and tune an engine for either .

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico

SDT
So in your opinion, the 2501 hst has ~19 pto hp. Your saying a 4' rotary cutter would be the best bet?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I should have been more clear about what I disagree with. You're correct in that if an engine is rated at 25 hp it does not matter if the fuel is gasoline or diesel.

What I disagree with is the generalization of a rule of thumb such as 5hp per foot of implement and in this case being a rotary cutter.

If that rule was adhered to, both by end users and Kubota there would not be a 5 foot cutter being used on a L2501. With less than a 20hp pto rating that would limit a cutter to 4 foot. When I did research before buying my tractor I considered the Kioti CK2601. Very similar machine with a 24.5 hp engine with similar cubic inch and torque figures. Kioti ok's a light duty 6 foot rotary cutter for this machine. To be fair it is listed with about 2 hp pto advantage over the L2501.

To me the important number in considering a implement such as a rotary cutter is still the torque number. Two tractors with the same HP but a significant difference in torque, which one will be better able to maintain 540 pto speed as conditions change , ie taller denser grass?
In your examples, the torque available at the PTO shafts at 540 RPM will be approximately the same due to the different gear ratios in the transaxle necessary to produce 540 PTO RPM at different rated engine speeds. Consequently, cutting performance will be approximately the same.

Not familiar with the CK2601 but I would not even consider a 6' cutter with a 25-27 PTO HP tractor. Sounds like marketing hype.

I use a Woods BB720X, 6' cutter with my 53 PTO HP L6060 and it's often all it wants.

SDT

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
So in your opinion, the 2501 hst has ~19 pto hp. Your saying a 4' rotary cutter would be the best bet?
Depends upon cutter weight, what you plan to cut, and how quickly you plan to cut it.

In any event, I would follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

SDT

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I enjoy at times looking tech specs up.
These figures are from Kubota's US engine site that lists torque / hp specs.

I am using specs for hst drives not gear drive tractors. (that may well make a difference on pto speed and engine speed?)
Comparing the L2501's engine to the B2650 engine

L2501 engine speed to achieve 540 pto speed is 2105 rpm
Torque at 2105 rpm is 61 foot pounds

B2650 engine speed to achieve 540 pto speed is 2398 rpm
Torque at 2398 is 53 foot pounds

Torque for the L2501 is approximately 15% greater at 540 pto speed than the B2650

As I was looking at different things I came across flex wing and batwing rotary cutters made by Titan and Rhino that advertise 12 foot cutters for as little as 35 hp pto! yikes. One video a Kioti dealer is running a 31.5 pto hp tractor with a 12 foot Titan threw some thick tall weeds grass.

SDT hit the nail on the head when he mentioned what material is going to be cut and how fast.
My thoughts and observations after owning and operating a L2501 and a B7100 with a 48 inch cutter is that instead of making a decision based on a 5 foot per hp rule, know your tractor and its tech specs along with seat time if possible. Know what type of cutting you plan on and the topography. Otherwise you may be short changing the true capability's of your tractor.

gas man

Equipment
b7100hst
May 25, 2019
cny
torque and horsepower hold hands, and they have a threesome with rpm. unless you compare engines at the same rpm the numbers are nothing more than numbers. the higher torque at lower rpm's will be lost in gearing

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
torque and horsepower hold hands, and they have a threesome with rpm. unless you compare engines at the same rpm the numbers are nothing more than numbers. the higher torque at lower rpm's will be lost in gearing

This is correct. The HP vs Torque discussion comes up on tractor sites periodically on what’s more important. The statements made above are mostly correct, hp is hp, is true, hp is a measure of how fast an engine can do work, doesn’t matter if it’s an high rpm - low torque engine or a low rpm high torque engine, once’s geared to 540 rpm they are exactly equivalent. So way do people like high torque tractors? What people really care about a lot is the shape of the torque curve more so than than the actual peak torque, or peak power.

I wrote the following years ago, and saved it, and just paste in these threads periodically when it seems appropriate:

I'll put my two cents in on the hp vs torque discussion.

The physics definition of Power a measure of how much work can be done per unit of time. Work is defined to be the amount of force applied in over a distance. In linear forces, Then power = force X distance / time. In rotational forces power = torque X revolutions / time or equivalently, power = torque X rotational speed. In terms of horse power:

hp = torque X rpms X C, where C is some constant that takes unit conversions into account.

This means that at a given rpm, hp and torque, are basically equivalent because if you know one, the other is known. PTO power ratings are given at pto speed of 540 or 1000 rpms, so doesn't matter if they give you torque or power you can compute the other.

This means a tractor with a high rpm low torque motor with the same power of a low rpm high torque motor can be geared down so that they both produce the same rpm, torque and power at the pto and do the same amount of work at the same speed.

But every talks about high torque tractor engines and that they are better and that it you don't need the high power rating as much as high torque. So what's going on? Well what also matters a lot in how well a tractor works in practice is the shape of the torque vs rpm curve. High torque motors tend to have the peak torque at lower rpms and the torque cure goes down at a slope from there. When multiplied by rpms this results in a flat power curve for a good range of rpms. This is the desired characteristic in a tractor and I'll explain why below. Lower torque motors tend to have there peak torque at higher rpms and then drops off quick after the peak. But because peak is closer to the max rpm range there is less of a flat spot at the top of the power curve.

Why does this matter?
Well when your doing a job such as running a chipper or cutting grass, the power demand or required power to do the job is not constant. When your cutting grass you go up hill where the grass is higher the power demand on the motor goes up. If the power demand goes up higher than the available power output at the rpm level you set the throttle, the motor bogs down and begins to slow down. So what happens next depends a lot on your motor’s power curve. If your have a high torque motor with a flat power curve, when the rpms drop, the tractor slows down dropping the power demand down to the available power level. The available power stays the same but the demand went down so you keep going just a little slower. But, if you have the type of motor were the power rolls off more quickly when the rpms drop and the tractor slows down, the available power also goes down also. So there's a race to the bottom and there is more of a tendency for the tractor to stall. This is why torquey tractors "feel" like they have more power, they don't feel like they going to stall if you don't let up on the hst peddle when they get loaded or your slow to open the throttle.

I think this is also why gas tractors tend to need higher power motors, because the power curve is not flat and people tend not to like to have to run them WOT all the time.

But at WOT a higher power motor low torque motor can do more work pull harder than a high torque but low power motor no matter what the engine rpm and torque combination because after the high rpm motor is geared down it is generating more torque at the standard pto speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
Thanks Beex for your post especially including the reference to Power and physics equations. I copied to a file in my Kubota folder.

My cents on why I like the broader flat torque of the L2501 with the D1703 triple engine is just that - it will handle varying load quite easily without a lot of varying throttle, ground speed input. I can focus on the terrain and trimming around things and then let my ears tell me when to back off on the load if needed.

Last edited: