HP Questions

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
When my BX24 says 22hp where is that measurement taken? Also, is there a difference hp readings between components ie: engine, axel or PTO? If there is a difference, when an implement says "X" hp required is there a difference between a PTO driven implement ie: tiller, auger & 3pt mower and a drag behind 3pt implement ie: box scraper, landscape rake & rear blade?

Thanks in advance for your input :)

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Not an expert but this is how I understand the horse power issue. The engine gross hp would be the horse power the engine is capable of producing. However, everything operated by that engine reduces the amount of hp available to do the work you want done. The biggest hp killer seems to be the hydrostatic transmission. For example, an L2800 has 30 hp (gross) yet at the pto it is rated at 25 hp for a manual shift and 23.5 hp for hydrostatic transmission. Usually, equipment manufacturers will list a suggested hp rating for the piece of equipment they sell. If I were buying implements for my tractor I would buy according to the gross hp rating. Say my pto hp is rated at 26 hp but my tractor is rated at 32 hp gross, then I would buy implements rated for tractors having 30-35 hp. As far as ground engaging implements I think having the 4 wheel drive is like having another 10 hp. My old tractor was 40 hp and 2 wheel drive. When I would sink the spring tooth harrow down as far as it would go the tractor would spin the wheels. My new tractor is 34 hp and 4 wheel drive and it pulls the harrow in 4 wd like nothing is back there. I also try to buy implements that are only wide enough to cover the tracks left by the rear wheels. With my tractor that is a width of 5 feet. However, I wouldn't hesitate to pull a 6 foot mower if that is what I had. There are others on this forum who know a lot more than I. They can explain better and clear up any inaccuracies in my understanding. Hope this helps.

SpudHauler

Equipment
RTV 1100 CW-A
Sep 8, 2010
Canada
Like all manufacturers the peak hp is always an engine sitting on a dyno, no tranny, just engine, tested at it's peak.

Everything else attached after that, results in less hp.

Unless they are trying to hide a high hp, like they might have done in the old days with a 350 chevy that they raced or reduced claimed hp for insurance reasons.

But bragging rights are usually about the most hp they can verify if challenged and that is with a stand alone engine on a dyno in ideal conditions.

LDB

Equipment
B 7800 HST
Nov 29, 2010
Schaumburg, IL
A very similar discussion comes up frequently on one of the Corvette forums that I visit.

HP is the result of a mathematical calculation. It is defined as work done divided by time. 1HP= 33,000 Ft. Pounds / minute. The reduction in the HP number from flywheel (rated HP) to PTO is a direct result of parasitic loss incurred by the mechanical components being driven between the flywheel and the PTO output shaft.

I can't give you the exact relationship for a tractor, but for a typical RWD car you will lose ~20 - 25% with an automatic transmission; and ~ 13 - 15% through a manual, when HP is measured on a chassis dyno at the rear wheels.

The Toolman

Equipment
BX1800 C-101 Wheel Horse
Mar 21, 2012
Lake of The Ozarks, Mo.
A very similar discussion comes up frequently on one of the Corvette forums that I visit.

HP is the result of a mathematical calculation. It is defined as work done divided by time. 1HP= 33,000 Ft. Pounds / minute. The reduction in the HP number from flywheel (rated HP) to PTO is a direct result of parasitic loss incurred by the mechanical components being driven between the flywheel and the PTO output shaft.

I can't give you the exact relationship for a tractor, but for a typical RWD car you will lose ~20 - 25% with an automatic transmission; and ~ 13 - 15% through a manual, when HP is measured on a chassis dyno at the rear wheels.

Also, at one time HP ratings were took from the design of the engine on paper. This stroke an bore would produce this much HP.
They didn't bother to mention that 10% of that HP will get eat up in the engine itself from ring an brg friction + other little things moving an turning in there also.
When rated on paper, you can make HP#'s really look good to the buyer.;)