How wide for rear blade

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I have a small 6ft rear blade that I had for a smaller tractor. My "new" Kubota is around 6 ft wide, so the blade wouldn't be wide enough when angled. It's only about a 50 hp tractor and much lighter than my older tractors were (L5740 w/ loaded tires) -tractordata.com says about 4000 pounds before loading tires. It does have a loader, and front wheel assist, so the loader might not be hurting anything but I doubt it's helping with the weight.

I'm seeing decent deals on a (used) 7 footer and a used 8 footer. I figure the 7 footer would cover the tracks at about 30 degree angle and the 8 footer at about 40. How much will I want to angle it? Is the tractor heavy enough for an 8 footer? The 7 footer does look like it can be offset (I haven't looked at either in person).

I do have a box blade for serious gravel work, so this would be more for dragging gravel back into the drive and putting the final crown on in addition to moving snow when there' s not enough for the blower. (Gravel drive, normally leave a few inches to freeze and then blow snow off of that for the rest of the year, but that leave another inch or so each time it snows.)

Thanks,

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Similar to my L47, I use a 7ft and have no need or desire for an 8ft, though I believe it could handle it, get a heavy/stronger one.

Reactions: 1 user

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Thanks. The 7 footer looks beefy in the pictures, and appears to be able to be offset. It does not tilt though. It looks like its got Cat I and Cat II capability, which adds to the beefiness assumption. The 8 footer appears to tilt, and can probably be offset by bolting the blade onto the frame in a different locations (holes appear to be there for this, but it looks time consuming and I wouldn't need to offset the 8). It looks lighter and rustier, but not as light as a King Kutter or whatever.

Thanks,

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have a small 6ft rear blade that I had for a smaller tractor. My "new" Kubota is around 6 ft wide, so the blade wouldn't be wide enough when angled. It's only about a 50 hp tractor and much lighter than my older tractors were (L5740 w/ loaded tires) -tractordata.com says about 4000 pounds before loading tires. It does have a loader, and front wheel assist, so the loader might not be hurting anything but I doubt it's helping with the weight.

I'm seeing decent deals on a (used) 7 footer and a used 8 footer. I figure the 7 footer would cover the tracks at about 30 degree angle and the 8 footer at about 40. How much will I want to angle it? Is the tractor heavy enough for an 8 footer? The 7 footer does look like it can be offset (I haven't looked at either in person).

I do have a box blade for serious gravel work, so this would be more for dragging gravel back into the drive and putting the final crown on in addition to moving snow when there' s not enough for the blower. (Gravel drive, normally leave a few inches to freeze and then blow snow off of that for the rest of the year, but that leave another inch or so each time it snows.

Thanks,
I am not familiar with your machine, but I think it is similar in size to my MX. my 96” hydraulic blade works just fine angled for my machine. I’ve never measured the angle when using, but personally I would want to cover more than just the width/track as some material may roll back in…so if the angled blade just barely covers it I am not sure if that is wide enough…for the right price maybe no matter. If you have rear hydraulics, it sure is nice (IMO) on a blade where you can change angle, tilt, offset without getting off machine. Are your wheels spaced now? Any chance they would ever be? I’d think about that before I pick a size as well.

I would buy the same width if doing again and would do again on the hydraulics. The one caveaut though is that when blade is square it will not fit between standard 8’ pole/posts in a pole building/shed…I set mine under a covered porch and it’s an issue for me…so maybe think about if you have storage/space concerns where a couple inches might matter.

Good luck. 🥃

Last edited:

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
rc51stierhoff,

I think my wheels are as wide as they go already, and the specs on the MX6000 are very similar (weight, width, you have a little more HP). I do have rear remotes, but no top & tilt or whatever. The blade won't be real heavily used, so probably won't go hydraulic with that either. With no hydraulics or PTO shaft i'll store is outside (especially if I get either I'm looking at now --definitely in their everyday clothes)

Do you grade with the 8 foot blade? Are your tires loaded?

Thanks!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
rc51stierhoff,

I think my wheels are as wide as they go already, and the specs on the MX6000 are very similar (weight, width, you have a little more HP). I do have rear remotes, but no top & tilt or whatever. The blade won't be real heavily used, so probably won't go hydraulic with that either. With no hydraulics or PTO shaft i'll store is outside (especially if I get either I'm looking at now --definitely in their everyday clothes)

Do you grade with the 8 foot blade? Are your tires loaded?

Thanks!
I don’t have top and tilt either but with my rear remotes and my RBT (land pride) back blade, it has the function to angle tilt and offset via the hydraulics. it’s all in the back blade itself combined with rear remotes…no top and tilt for me…that would be nice though. (I have three remotes).

I have done very limited grading(it can make a mess in a hurry though😉)…my tires are loaded (I also have wheel weights) and there is no issue for me other than my lack of use/skill to do grading work(pros are worth their price IMO as I don’t have that type of skill yet). Your L should have no issue to use that size IMO. If you have rear remotes, the blade is a great opportunity to use them. Depending on what brand you buy, might want to make sure the beam is long enough you can swivel the blade 180…then you have the option to push or pull….maybe they are all that way but I am not sure…I know I can do either with mine and I like that versatility.

I am not sure the models in The pic are current or not but you can see the hydraulics to understand what I meant with the functions. I believe you can order them per the number of remotes…they can omit one or two of the hydraulic function to match number of remotes you have and then you can manual adjust for the rest it you only have 1 or 2 remotes…if that makes sense. (The blade itself has offset angle and tilt capability).

Attachments

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

I do have a box blade for serious gravel work, so this would be more for dragging gravel back into the drive and putting the final crown on in addition to moving snow when there' s not enough for the blower. (Gravel drive, normally leave a few inches to freeze and then blow snow off of that for the rest of the year, but that leave another inch or so each time it snows.)

Thanks,
I use a very heavy 8’ cat 2 blade for my 60 hp tractor and it has no difficulties and I’m sure it would handle a longer blade. I recommend a 8’ blade for your machine.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
I know the land pride RB1672 can be offset , Comes in super handy for cutting & cleaning ditches on the side or roads !
animal

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The angle of the top link whether hydraulic or not can affect how deep or how hard you dig. I use a 7 ft blade on my L2501 which I think is about right. However, I think your tractor will handle a 8 ft one. My blade weighs about 400 lbs which is about as light as I would go.

One thing to consider if you park inside is will the blade go through your door. Another thing if you ever plan to offset it is how hard it is to offset. Mine requires unbolting the blade. If I had it to do over, I'd buy one that is easier to offset.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I know the land pride RB1672 can be offset , Comes in super handy for cutting & cleaning ditches on the side or roads !
animal
In my opinion, a blade must be able to quickly offset. It’s very frustrating to do snow removal or dirt/gravel road maintenance without offset, tilt, and angle functions.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Ugh, now i feel bad about using a 7ft wide blade on my BX23s tractor for snow plowing last 2yrs :oops:
Over the summer, i got a smokin deal on the same brand in a 6ft. That`s what i`ll use this year for snow. The guy i bought it from, never once used it, so its still brand new. In heavier snow, that 7 footer would do it, but it would start bogging the tractor down a little bit. This new 6ft should be much easier on the BX. You folks running much bigger tractors than i, should have no worries. A 7 or 8ft would work pretty well i would think. If your tractor is 6ft wide, go for the 8ft if you plan on doing angled blade work.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
With your tractor, an 8 footer weighing no less than 700lbs. I say that because I used to have an 8 footer that weighed 680 lbs and it worked ok.

But I moved up to a 9 footer weighing 1140lbs, it works great. But even with my tractor ballasted to 13,000lbs it will still throw the tractor sideways taking to big of a bite at a steeper angle of cut.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
Check whether you can simply replace the blade with a longer one. I did that on my Land Pride when I bought a new, wider tractor.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Check whether you can simply replace the blade with a longer one. I did that on my Land Pride when I bought a new, wider tractor.
My current blade is a very lightweight Ford blade from the 1960s that I picked up 20 some years ago with my 859-ish Ford. It's pretty lightweight and probalby not a good candidate for a longer blade. There are folks around here who like to match implements to their antique tractors, so I could probably sell it if I no longer use it. Until the Kubota I kept that rear blade on the Ford and the snowblower on the JD. Any serious snow got moved w/ the blower but the slush in the spring and real light snows got scraped with the Ford. I found that scraping the slush off in the spring could shorten mud season if I could guess which was the last snow...

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Say a guy could get a 7 footer that could easily be offset? I'm not seeing any 8-footers I like right now (too flimsy, too far away, or guys not responding their adds).

Would the ability to easily offset help make up for the missing foot? The one I'm looking at seems much beefier than the alternatives. Or I could just wait...

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Say a guy could get a 7 footer that could easily be offset? I'm not seeing any 8-footers I like right now (too flimsy, too far away, or guys not responding their adds).

Would the ability to easily offset help make up for the missing foot? The one I'm looking at seems much beefier than the alternatives. Or I could just wait...
See if there’s any distributors for Bison blades. I bought a 8’ cat2 Bison blade for my MX6000 and love the blade. Fully adjustable and set up for either hydraulics or manual operation. And heavy/nearly indestructible and competitively priced. Everyone who sees my blade asks where I bought it.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
See if there’s any distributors for Bison blades. I bought a 8’ cat2 Bison blade for my MX6000 and love the blade. Fully adjustable and set up for either hydraulics or manual operation. And heavy/nearly indestructible and competitively priced. Everyone who sees my blade asks where I bought it.
This is the blade I’m referring to:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
It depends on what you are trying to do with it.

Offset will help on one side of the tractor, but do nothing for the other side when angled for snow removal.

If you want to clean out ditches or make them, offset would be good for that since only the leading edge would be touching. Similarly, offset is good to push a snow pile on the side of the road farther off once the majority of snow is removed.