How to winterize a b7100d

drewscruis

Equipment
B7100D with FEL and tiller
Sep 9, 2011
Eden, NY. usa
I recently picked up a kubota b7100d I believe it's from 1978 (what I was told dunno how to verify), It was transported from flordia to ny where it is now and i'm asuming that the antifreeze composition may be off and the diesel fuel may be more of a summer blend. i need to replace the rear main seal and a few other minor things which I don't plan on doing till spring, so my question is what should i do with whats in there? I plan to drain the radiator but is there a thermostat like in a car (new to the whole compact tractor thing here) if there is do I have to pull the cooling system apart so that it doesnt freeze in the block and crack it (wouldn't make this a cheap find if i have to replace the engine and the wife wouldn't be to happy) as for the diesel I can't run the engine for extended peroids since the seal is bad (steady drip) don't want to blow the motor (wife wouldn't be happy about that either) looking for a lil advice, machine will be stored outdoors under a carport and will be covered up till I can get to it in the spring. after I get the mechanical issues and all the fluids and filters changed out I plan to clean it up and do a mild restoration on it (flordia sun faded this one)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If it were me, I'd change the antifreeze and replace it with some more suitable to nothern temperatures. Thats an easy project, theres a check valve at the bottom of the hood and a drain spout. I would not run the diesel empty out of the engine. Diesels dont like to have air in their system and it will be a huge pain to fix that in the spring. Instead top off the diesel tank and put a stableizer in it like Sea Foam.

Basically keep all fluids in the engine and stableize it for the winter time. If you're able to I'd go ahead and put the tractor up on blocks and keep the tires off the ground so they wont get flat spots in them and less likely to crack the rubber.

KJINTF

Equipment
B7100 & ZD326
May 7, 2011
Western Montana
Sounds like a nice project - you will grow to love the little machine
Do you have access to a heated barn or shed?
That would be the best thing, even a neighbor with a proper shed
The radiator drain pet cock will not drain the block properly - might want to remove the hoses drain what you can and then add antifreeze mixture and get it into the block if you do have to store it outside
I never worried about the summer or winter blend of diesel fuel put some stablizer in there and try to get it into the injection system by running the engine a bit. The summer stuff turns into jello when it gets really cold

My little B7100 "broke" a few days ago - a "PROJECT" that was not planned for
It's always been stored in a heated barn for the winter
We tend to get -25F for a few days / weeks in January darn cold for anything outside even if properly equipped for the cold

Enjoy your new "toy" aka tool