How to use tach drive on Kubota D662?

czd3my

Equipment
D650-B
Oct 4, 2010
Shawnee, OK
I have finally found me an engine for a project garden tractor I am working on. It is a D662 that was imported by a guy who gets them in a container. It has a tach drive on the front of the gear housing. I would like to put it to use and add a mechanical tachometer. Anybody have any idea what drive ratio this would be? Were there Kubotas that had a tach that would work? I have seen a couple online that looked interesting. The guy I got the engine from mentioned something about possibly using parts from a motorcycle to adapt a tach. Anyone heard of that? Lots of questions, I know, but surely someone here has been through this...maybe. Thanks!

tim0477

Jul 15, 2010
PA
I have the opposite problem of czd3my. The tach on my B7200 appears to work when I spin the drive cable by hand, but the tach drive adapter on the front of the engine doesn't turn. Are the adapters still available at a reasonable price?

Thanks,
Tim

czd3my

Equipment
D650-B
Oct 4, 2010
Shawnee, OK
So, simple as that! Mr. Vic, are the new ones still available? I imagine finding a used one is going to be a bit of a struggle? Lots of cables out there so it shouldn't be a problem. Will a tach out of a different model, besides the B series, work? Thanks for the help!!!

czd3my

Equipment
D650-B
Oct 4, 2010
Shawnee, OK
Tim, somewhere out there on the web I found a post by Vic from another site the mentions something about fixing the drive you have. I think there was something about putting a washer somewhere then packing it with grease If I find it again I'll post it.

Anybody know the part number on a tach from a B 5/6/7? I don't have a manual for them. I do for my dad's L3000 and the cable from it will work but not the tach. I need a stand alone tach. Maybe something on eBay from another brand might work with some creative engineering of the cable? Maybe....

Trinidaddave

Equipment
B6200d tractor/loader
Feb 19, 2013
Grass valley ca.
I bought a new tach drive from my Kubota dealer for my B620. I don't rember it being that expensive. It was a little hard to change sinc I did not want to pull the radiator.