How to look at a tractor to determine if it needs (expensive) repairs.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
You might not think some parts cost as much as they do.

A 450 hour tractor needed $5,000 worth of parts without needing a major repair.

The cost of labor to install those parts was NOT included in the price.

Tim explained this much better than most people would.

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
i found out the hard way, when the hst goes out in a b2100hsd ?, it gets very high dollar !. i'm sure this is with any hst tractor ?!. you better have very deep pockets if you want to either take it to a kubota dealer ?, or..buy the parts ( cheaper this way ) and do the work yourself.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Not 'any' but 'most'. years ago I bought a JD riding mower (24HP/48" deck), wouldn't go up a slight incline. It was 14 months old, you could eat off it. HST 'shot' (KNOWN flaws from JD )dealer said $800 for new one + labour(6 hrs ! ). I got the rider for $200(I was going to pull engine,scrap the rest...). Then decided to look at the HST(it's busted.let's see how it works...). It cost me $25 in parts to fix and 3-4 easy,lazy 'summer time' hours to FIX it.
SCUT/ CT are 'harder' only because you have to disassemble a LOT of stuff to get TO the HST. You NEED a lot of space, time and patience but they are repairable.

Reactions: 1 user

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
Not 'any' but 'most'. years ago I bought a JD riding mower (24HP/48" deck), wouldn't go up a slight incline. It was 14 months old, you could eat off it. HST 'shot' (KNOWN flaws from JD )dealer said $800 for new one + labour(6 hrs ! ). I got the rider for $200(I was going to pull engine,scrap the rest...). Then decided to look at the HST(it's busted.let's see how it works...). It cost me $25 in parts to fix and 3-4 easy,lazy 'summer time' hours to FIX it.
SCUT/ CT are 'harder' only because you have to disassemble a LOT of stuff to get TO the HST. You NEED a lot of space, time and patience but they are repairable.
yep, i purchased this b2100 for 2k seeing how it was in pretty decent shape for its age ?, thought hey..i've been restoring atv's for 30 yrs, how hard could this be ?..ha !..lol. never laid hands on a tractor, let alone a hst tractor ?!. just like you said, i had to rip it all apart just to get to the hst !!. after a full day of taking it apart, then i got to the hst, got it all part, found the bad parts, looked these up online from messicks, OMG..i was blown away at the cost of some of these parts. my memory is getting worse by the yrs, but i recall it took about 2500-3k in parts to replace all the bad parts in the hst. engine ran, has about 850 hrs on the clock.

After i got it fixed, it moves on its own power, i then went out and purchased a box blade, tiller, and brush hog to finalize the package. she may not be brand new ?, but the way i look at it, i don't have a monthly note ?, its paid for, and its the labor of love that makes me proud to own her !.