How to bypass seat switch on L3400

Kubie L3400D

Equipment
L3400DT 4WD, SSQA, Bobcat T190, Flail mower, Brushhog, Brushshark, Ratchet rake
Jun 29, 2022
FredNeck Acres, Tejas
Original thread:
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/l3400d-died-in-the-woods.58483/

Pretty sure my seat switch is bad in that I get no 0 resistance readings when testing any of the 3 positions. OPC is in-op when testing according to the WSM test procedure.
If it were a 2 wire system I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to bypass, but being 3 wire and I'm not an EE, I'm sitting here scratching my head.

P.S.
This is only needed as a temporary fix. A new switch is on order but we won't be back to civilization from our FredNeck Acres until the first part of next week and I've got work for Kubie to do in the interim.

Thanks.

Last edited:

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
The switch has three positions.
"neutral" = seat down and no one on it.
"down" = someone on the seat.
"up" = the seat flipped up.
It is made this way so the tractor knows if someone is on the seat or not, or if the seat is flipped up and the pto can be run with out someone on it. Like if you wanted to run a generator.

Reactions: 1 user

Kubie L3400D

Equipment
Jun 29, 2022
FredNeck Acres, Tejas
The switch has three positions.
"neutral" = seat down and no one on it.
"down" = someone on the seat.
"up" = the seat flipped up.
It is made this way so the tractor knows if someone is on the seat or not, or if the seat is flipped up and the pto can be run with out someone on it. Like if you wanted to run a generator.
Good info, but not what I need to bypass it for key starting.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
One will be keyed power, the other two will be inputs to relays or a ecu. Fine the powered one, then try jumping to one of the others and see what happens.

Kubie L3400D

Equipment
Jun 29, 2022
FredNeck Acres, Tejas
One will be keyed power, the other two will be inputs to relays or a ecu. Fine the powered one, then try jumping to one of the others and see what happens.
I was thinking that a+c and b+c represent open circuits that connecting all 3, a+b+c, would be the solution, but since I can't read a wiring diagram, 🤷‍♂️.

Attachments

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
"C" is the common wire with keyed power. "A" is for when you are on the seat and "B" is for when the seat is flipped up. So to operate/drive the tractor you need to join C and A. I had a hard time reading the schematic, but the first picture was perfect.

Reactions: 1 users

Kubie L3400D

Equipment
Jun 29, 2022
FredNeck Acres, Tejas
"C" is the common wire with keyed power. "A" is for when you are on the seat and "B" is for when the seat is flipped up. So to operate/drive the tractor you need to join C and A. I had a hard time reading the schematic, but the first picture was perfect.
Thanks.

Kubie L3400D

Equipment
Jun 29, 2022
FredNeck Acres, Tejas
Thanks for all the help and suggestions in both threads.
Turns out, I'm a dumbass on the "no crank" problem.
1st, seat was flipped forward when it "died in the woods', which I'm thinking it should.
2nd, I missed diagnosed the neutral safety switch. Appears the switch is good, the shift lever has corrosion on the contact point, which when cleaned up test poifect.

So, problem solved, mostly.
I still have to jiggle the lever a bit to make good contact and close that circuit.

Will applying a coat of dialectic grease to the contact point create a problem