How much does the Sun influence your heating needs?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Man, you guys got cheap firewood! Last I checked around here, $180-$200 a cord for oak, $125-$150 a cord for pine, $200-$250 a cord for mesquite or ironwood. Not delivered. And usually a little short of an actual cord. That's pretty much why I don't buy any, & just cut my own.
Now, 'Foot, remember your lessons....the prices you cite are HUGE compared to here, but are they face or full cord?:)

16" firewood is common. So our 3 face @ $55 =1 full @$165.

About 70% of upstate NY is covered with woods, so we have a lot of trees around. If trees are scarce, I can see those $$. Never been west of the Mississippi.

We used to have guys 'round here selling firewood near NYC for those kinds of $/face cord. Has pretty much stopped since diesel went to $4. (We're about 4 hours from NYC).

In our area, nobody burns anything but deciduous hardwoods. Other regions use softwoods often, or exclusively.

I know I've never burned Juniper!

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I heat with a Yodel wood stove the model is Oslow I think. It was the next to the largest wood stove they made. $1800. bucks about 10 or 12 years ago. A lot of money for me then. But I had been heating with a 'pretty' Glenwood kitchen stove in the living room. A few years of that, I had enough of cutting 12" wood and not heating the house. The Yodel will drive you out of the house with heat. One secret I found is 'dry' wood. Not seasoned but really dry. Tonight I'm burning six year old dry red oak. The stove has stainless steel pipes with holes in them , in the top of the firebox the gases form the fire reburn when they enter/exit the tubes. In the years I had it. Zero maintence. You clean the ashes. Clean the stove pipe twice a year. I haven't had to replace a gasket or firebrick.
It's spelled Jotul. :)

Best stove on the market period! We've been heating with wood since 1980 and had a few different stoves. Bought a Jotul 118CB 6 years ago and love it!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
RCW- thanks for the clarification!
I am speaking of full cords, but most firewood guys here need their tape measures re-calibrated….their 4x4x8 pile never seems quite as big as mine….
As for juniper, when fully dry, it burns hot & very clean, and smells better than any other wood….. but it does pop & snap very loudly, and some don't like that.
I just wish it would last as long as oak.