How loud can i expect the belly mower to be? (b7200 HST)

primerk5

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
I just got my mower deck(RC60-72H) mounted on my tractor and tested it for the first time. I realize this is used and its bound to make some noise. It has a decent amount of whine to it. Since I have no prior experience with these mowers I don't know what it should have sounded like if all the parts were new.

I had taken gear box and spindles off and all the bearings appear to be good. There is no play in anything that i can feel and they turn smooth. The gear box isn't super smooth as i can feel the gears meshing inside the box if I try to spin it fast by hand. The tensioner bearings are new as it grenaded on the previous owner. Oil level in the gear box was low, It is now full and everything is well greased.

The belt was removed and pto again engaged. It was quiet at this point. We took a peice of wood and put pressure on the pulley while it spun and was able to make the noise come back. So I'm thinking its something in the gear box.

The question would be though, how loud can i expect this thing to be in good condition? Should I expect a gear box whine? I would think no, but you never know.

I'm getting really good at removing the mower. less than 3 min removal and about 5 for install.:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You would have to get into the gearbox, but I expect you would find some worn gears, the more lash and wear on the gears the more noise it's going to make.
If you want to skip a rebuild for now you can fill the gear box with high pressure grease and the will help quiet it down some.

primerk5

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
You would have to get into the gearbox, but I expect you would find some worn gears, the more lash and wear on the gears the more noise it's going to make.
If you want to skip a rebuild for now you can fill the gear box with high pressure grease and the will help quiet it down some.
That's definitely an option i might take up. I know my Father's old Gravely's gear box is filled with grease. Is there anyone who knows the proper gear lash for these gears so that i could check it If I pull it back out? I'm figuring in the Kubota shop book for the mower (which i don't have) probably goes into it since the one for my tractor is so detailed. I priced the gears out yesterday on the internet and they are running 140+ each.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
For a noisy old gearbox on an ancient brushhog we've shot the gearbox full of tube grease and then during the season when needs topped off (leaks!) use a bottle of cheap syrupy 'motor honey' like STP I think but cheaper. Works like a charm. So far the rebuild / replacement / new implement has been put off for ten years and still works.